PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove baked on NRA 50/50 from mold face?

Texantothecore
03-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Am using the NRA 50/50 stick lube as lubricant on one of my molds and it appears that I put too much on and it has gotten on the mold face and baked up. How do I take it off the mold face?

The mold (2 banger .457 rb) is not producing good bullets and it may be that the NRA 50/50 has closed a lot of the vents. The mold is being used with NOE's digital monitor and the lead temp is being managed with an NOE thermometer.

Mold at 400 degrees and the lead at 725 seems to have worked out best, but the bullets are still not where I want them.

The mold has been thoroughly scrubbed with a toothbrush and Acetone (1 hour?)and the scrubbing didn't seem to have much effect on the NRA 50/50.

geargnasher
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Soak it in B-12 Chemtool carb and choke cleaner, scrub it with a fine bronze bristle brush.

Gear

btroj
03-03-2012, 08:27 PM
What Gear said.

Either get some Bullplate or use a good 2cycle oil in place of the bullet lube. You, and the mould, will be much happier that way.

MtGun44
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

THE VERY BEST WAY - is to never apply it in the first place and use Bull Plate lube. Some
report good results with synthetic 2 stoke oil but I have the real thing, so have not tried
the substitute yet.

Putting 50-50 on a mold is something I used to do, at the guidance of the old books,
but it was never a very good lube and didn't last long and left such nasty guck behind
that Bull Plate was a real breakthru. Put a very, very thin film on alignment features and
underside of sprue plate. Top of mold and sprue plate will slowly clean themselves of
any lead smears, as you cast. Amazing stuff.

Bill