PDA

View Full Version : new RCBS mold won't close completely

Pete P
03-03-2012, 06:22 AM
My new RCBS mold won't close completely. At first I thought that perhaps small piece of lead had dripped between the blocks. But that is not the case. After closer examination I found that there is some sort of problem with one or both the locating pins which is not allowing the mold to close completely unless I really squeeze the handles tight. If I don't, I get flashing on the boolits. I could send it back but perhaps there is some small fix that I could do myself. Looking for advice, thanks.

dromia
03-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Have you tried drifting the pin back into the block slightly?

jtaylor1960
03-03-2012, 06:54 AM
I've seen that on other new RCBS molds also.Just carefully drive the pins back until the mold closes to suit you.That should help with the finning.Although a very slight gap can help with fillout by helping vent the mold.

Longone
03-03-2012, 07:11 AM
My experience has been to use it and it will break in. I find new RCBS molds to be very tight requiring a break in period.

Longone

'74 sharps
03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, return it to RCBS...........

runfiverun
03-03-2012, 03:05 PM
it's just the alignment pins.
the last few i have bought from them have had the pins standing a bit tall.
if' it's something i can work with i leave them alone.
if they cause me problems, then i press them in a bit deeper in the vise.

Larry Gibson
03-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Make sure you also have the right size handles on the mould, especially if using Lyman handles.

Larry Gibson

GLL
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Are you using RCBS handles?
Will it close properly without the handles in place?

Jerry

Pete P
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
yes, I am using RCBS handles. I do believe it is related to the pins.

Ole
03-03-2012, 07:19 PM
When I first got my 40 caliber 200 grainer, I had to shave some of the metal off the lee mold handles because they were slightly too large and were causing the mold to not close properly.

I see you're using RCBS handles, so you can probably disregard this post. :mrgreen:

340six
03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
yes, I am using RCBS handles. I do believe it is related to the pins.

I had to take a brass rod, and ding the pins in some.
they fut nice in the box but were tight when in the handles and left a gap

Bradley
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
My solution was to find a screwdriver of the right diameter and then turn it in the holes that the aleignment pins go into. That will remove any burrs and solved the problem.

dodgyrog
03-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Are you using RCBS handles?
Will it close properly without the handles in place?

Jerry

+1 on that.
I just bought an RCBS mould mounted on the wrong Lyman handles and the boolits had flash on them.
I put them on RCBS double handle and it worked fine.

dromia
03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Not a wrong handle issue the OP has already said he's using the correct RCBS handles.

Pete P
03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the advice on the pins. I measure them out to be from the outside of the mold to the tip of the pin .757 thousands. Placing the mold on a piece of wood and a piece of round brass stock as a punch I carefully tapped them in. I was constantly measuring and testing for fit. When I reached .745 thousands the mold closed. I checked it by feel and visually by holding it up to a bright light. All is good now, I'm starting to melt some lead.

Thanks Pete P

dromia
03-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Result! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Smilies%20FB/icon_thumbup.gif

RCBS make good moulds, look forward to seeing the outcome of your casting session. :D

340six
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I had to take a brass rod, and ding the pins in some.
they fut nice in the box but were tight when in the handles and left a gap
Man I type bad on Chemo drugs lol glad ya pushed thee pins in that is what i had to do just very little