PDA

View Full Version : price of peice of mind when ordering equiptment

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
ordered from Midway USA for the first time. excellent experience

about 60% of my reloading equipment was purchased from FS sales formerly Factory Sales , i was lured in by the prices , being a few dollars less often on the same item , and figuring they were less than a hundred miles away located in Wisconsin i sent them my business. I had actualy been warned by some of you here that FS some times took a while before they shipped and that they had some limited hours to contact them but i tried them any way i always got my stuff but their sight would not list if an item was back ordered , and they wouldn't ship your order till they could send it all at once to keep your shipping down.

i learned to wait , but they had limited hours to call , they were decent at returning email the next day. then after Christmas i tried to return something my brother had ordered for me that i had purchased used in the mean time. returning didn't go as well as i would have liked.

lets face it when you order a new mold or other casting equipment , we or at least I am like a little kid is it here yet , is it here yet 5 minutes later , i think i hear the mail man is it here yet.

well Midway won me over i ordered 3 molds on Tuesday paid the extra 2 dollars for priority shipping , and they were here this morning

i like saving a few dollars as much as the next guy but i like having my hand held thru the process of ordering , after all it is my hard to come by hard earned $ i want to know exactly where my goods are from the second you have my $

tell me up front what is back ordered , give me clear order confirmation in my email , link the tracking number so all i have to do is click on it , so i can click on it 3 times a day and see where my package is and best of all have it here so i can be casting Saturday morning

thank you midway

i have a bunch of casting to to do in the morning.

2 6bangers , and a 2x to try

birdadly
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I've ordered from them 3 times now, decent sized boxes worth of stuff too, and I have been happy with them each time. Each time I was impressed with the quick shipping, even with keeping it at the cheapest service. -Brad

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I've done a lot of business with Midway, and although they do some things I don't like, there is one thing I've been able to count on: A no BS return policy. I've recieved two products that were damaged/defective in the past and they cheerfully replaced them. I think having spent a few thousand with them over the years goes a long way too.

I've also had great service from Midsouth, and use them primarily. I like their company better but Midway carries a larger product line.

Gear

jcwit
03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
And you will find the same bad experiences about MidWay posted thruout the net.

I presume its all part of doing business. Such is life.

garym1a2
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Their return policy is great on Midway. Plus I like their large selection and plenty of items. Not always the best price but never excessive.

I have brought low cost items defective and their response was they ship out the replacement same day as my complaint. Told me not to bother returning the defective item either.

Their primers and powder prices are too high though.

Ickisrulz
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I have ordered from Midway for more than 20 years. In that time only one problem. I ordered 40 .338 Win Mag cases and only got 39. They credited my account for $3.00 to make up for this.

While not always the cheapest, they have the largest selection and outstanding customer service.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
i am not bad mouthing FS sales , they worked fine

I was however more pleased with midways customer service , and more intuitive web site and online order system to me it is now worth the few extra dollars to know what is happening with my order and where it is at.

as for powder and primers, i get them from the local store less than a mile away , i was having them order molds and dies ans such for me also but their suppliers don't cover much past the basic reloading , and casting is not what most people think of when they say reloading.

and for black powder its a bit of a drive but i got a guy, and the best little restaurant is half way there.

largom
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I've done a lot of business with Midway, and although they do some things I don't like, there is one thing I've been able to count on: A no BS return policy. I've recieved two products that were damaged/defective in the past and they cheerfully replaced them. I think having spent a few thousand with them over the years goes a long way too.

I've also had great service from Midsouth, and use them primarily. I like their company better but Midway carries a larger product line.

Gear

I am in the same boat as Gear. Midsouth is my primary supplier and their shipping is super FAST. Been dealing with them for over 30 yrs. and not one complaint.

I did recently order a scope from another supplier, to save a couple of $, and it took 3 weeks to get my scope. Not a good feeling when ordered from someplace new.

Larry

41 mag fan
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
You haven't had a bad experience with Midway yet.
I've ordered a few things from them, just to have to send it to the manufacturer, because it was defective. They wouldn't replace it.
But I keep going back, been doing business with them for over 20 yrs now

cheese1566
03-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I try not ot order from them...
always a bad idea...

I typically need only one or two things...

but at checkout I always seem to have a "cart full"!!

I cannot help myself! Like a kid in a candy store!!!

Too fun!

Thin Man
03-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I started trading with Midsouth when they were located in New Market, TN, which is about a one hour drive from my home. Anyone else here remember their owner/operator "Hawk"? Wow, what a character. It was always entertaining to watch him in action. I placed an order with them this week, on Thursday morning. Even though I did not request quick shipping the order arrived the next day, and they are now located half way across the state. It is that kind of service that keeps me coming back to them. Yes, their inventory is limited, and often out of stock. They are still one of the first places I shop.

Thin Man

alamogunr
03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I started trading with Midsouth when they were located in New Market, TN,

Thin Man

I didn't know that. When did they move to Clarksville?

I like Midsouth also, but don't like to pay the almost 10% sales tax. If they ever make mail order companies pay sales tax on internet purchases, it will become a moot point. Now, I order most of my needs(wants) from Graf in Missouri.

BeeMan
03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I've ordered from Midway (starting when it was paper catalogues and phone orders), Midsouth, Lock Stock and Barrel (remember them?), Grafs, Powder Valley, GI Brass, and direct from Lee. Then add mold makers like NOE and MP Molds. Only once did I feel like I was brushed off, and that was over a $5 shell holder. Oh yes, there was a scope from Natchez in there too.

It's great to have options, even if prices are rising and shipping is becoming ridiculous.

BeeMan

WD2A7X3
03-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Midway does have some fast shipping, the only problem is if you need a couple items from thier other warehouse and the shipping charges go way up.

I actually placed my first order with FSreloading this week and it's already shipped. A bit slower then midway but I saved about $30-$35 on a $100 order so I don't mind waiting 6 days (ordered on the 1st, UPS tracking says it'll be here the 7th) to save 30%+.

filric48
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
FS did the same thing to me, I got the moulds but no ladle and had to wait another week to get the ladle from ebay.

Max Brand
03-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I can't tell you how many years ago it was but I placed my first order with MidwayUSA but I do remember that it was from an ad in Shotgun News. Now many years and thousands of dollars later I still have never had a problem with their goods or service. Since discovering the internet I do shop other retailers, primarily Mid South these days but still occasionally place an order with Midway.

Max

Radkins
03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I have only been reloading a few months, everything that I couldn't buy local was though Midway. I did alot of reseach for prices. I hear people complain about shipping cost on Midway. All you have to do is find the promo code and shipping is free. You get read tons of reviews on the product before you buy(Good and bad)..

ErikO
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I do plan on getting a few things from Midway and will bea ble to take advantage of their WillCall window. I don't see the value of paying both state sales tax and shipping when I can get to the location within 2 hours. Graf & Sons is even closer so I'd hit both of them in the same day. :)

I have had success buying from FS, but I do echo the looong wait time issue. I'll go to them when its parts that I can't easily get elsewhere.

insanelupus
03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I used to use Midway a lot and still do at times. Now, I typically order from Buffalo Arms first as they ship quicker, charge less for shipping, and I prefer their site to Midway's new one.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-06-2012, 11:25 AM
i found a promo for 10 dollars off a order of 100 in non sale items , if you have a promo for free shipping can you share.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I do plan on getting a few things from Midway and will bea ble to take advantage of their WillCall window. I don't see the value of paying both state sales tax and shipping when I can get to the location within 2 hours. Graf & Sons is even closer so I'd hit both of them in the same day. :)

I have had success buying from FS, but I do echo the looong wait time issue. I'll go to them when its parts that I can't easily get elsewhere.

shipping looks cheap when i look at the price of gas

it costs me 25 miles to the gallon avg if it take the car the nearest anything from my small town besides evensmaller towns is 20 miles one way 30-40 to the city but reloading stores aren't any better in the city

my best bet is the father & son target shop near by because they order every week and divide the shipping up , but their suppliers seem limited. i support them when ever i can so i can keep powder, primers local ,and an FFL dealer local.