PDA

View Full Version : Adapter, primers instead of caps

joeb33050
03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Maven loaned me a device that screwed into the nipple hole, that had a "top" part that unscrewed, you put a small rifle primer in and screwed the "top" part on and fired. This device contained the explosion so no smoke etc. came back through the primer hole. Unfortunately the threads didn't match those on my nipple hole.
I asked where to get one and was told Dixie, I got it the other day and it ain't like Maven's-it screws in the nipple hole but the primer is out in the breeze, held in a cup with a spring-and the explosion will blow smoke out the hole etc.
Does anyone out there know where I can buy a primer adapter to fit current nipple threads that completely encloses the primer?????
I got some 50 caliber Nynyex brushes and an adapter to fit the brush (12-27 or something) to the rod (10-24 or ?) and these look like they'll work great for cleaning.
The GM barrel is at Steve Earle's getting scope blocks put on, I just can't see those open sioghts, and have a tube sight that goes on scope blocks.
Thanks;
joe brennan

MT Gianni
03-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Joe, I bought one from Cabela's in the late 90's and have not seen or looked for one like it since, Gianni.

opcon4
03-23-2007, 11:27 PM
hmmm wonder how hard it would be to just make one?

Buckshot
03-24-2007, 06:52 AM
..............Ned Roberts, in his Caplocks book was in high praise of those things, and that was back in the real old days :-)

................Buckshot

Underclocked
03-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Like this? http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html uses 209 primers but I think he used to make them for small rifle primers as well.

Maven
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Underclocked, The one I sent Joe was identical to the one pictured in the link, but it took small rifle primers only. It was a PITA to use: slow, hard to get the fired primer out and offered no real improvement over the #11 perc. caps I was using in my T/C Hawken (which never had ignition problems). Using a #209 primer is an interesting idea, but it may be overkill: Chronographing loads and examining on target performance will quickly determine this.

joeb33050
03-25-2007, 06:43 AM
hmmm wonder how hard it would be to just make one?

There's a drawing in the back of Ned Roberts's book "The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle". I am scannerless, so can't send a copy.
I'm interested for several reasons. #11 caps are sort of hard to find down here-150 miles to Bass Pro Shops.
Ned says several times that they shoot more accurately.
I'd like to avoid the blowout on the barrel and lock that makes me clean the lock each time I shoot, or worry.
Curiosity.
Maybe I'll order one of the 209 devices.
Thanks;
joe brennan

Guido4198
03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Joe,
If you get one of those 209 adapters...how 'bout a full report..??
Thanks,
Don

Underclocked
03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Accrashot! I finally found the name of the similar device (small rifle primers) that used to be sold. CRS reigns. :)

Maven
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
joeb, Starmetal sent me a link discussing the use of modern primers in muzzleloaders. It is:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

Underclocked, That device was also marketed under the name "Flame-n-Go"

opcon4
03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
I tried to email them and got a returned mail?

http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html

joeb33050
03-29-2007, 06:49 AM
I've followed these links and found 209 adapters and gizmos that put SR primers in pseudo 209 things, but none can I find that look like the famous "MAVEN Unobtainable" adapter.
Perhaps upcon4 is interested enough to make one? Or two?
Many of you have lathes and mills in the cellar, and merely walk down stairs, fire up the equipment, and make such articles in moments. I have no machine tools, and that's kept me most of my fingers, because I can't be left unattended near electrical machines. I don't even have a cellar.
Anyhow, I'm still looking, and will report on the DGW device when Steve Earle sends back my barrel.
Thanks to all;
joe brennan

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
03-30-2007, 08:31 AM
joe; What thread is the nipple on your rifle? I have one of these adapters, SRP, Acu Shot? (if I can put my hands on it) believe it's 1/4-28.
Nick

Slamfire
03-31-2007, 12:38 AM
I've been usin' 1/4" soft plastic tubing to keep my caps dry in the rain, Just cut a length that'll fit over the cap while its on the nipple, and the rain can't get down to the primin' compound. [smilie=1:

joeb33050
03-31-2007, 06:59 AM
joe; What thread is the nipple on your rifle? I have one of these adapters, SRP, Acu Shot? (if I can put my hands on it) believe it's 1/4-28.
Nick

Nick;
It's 1/4-28, says on the nipple package.
Thanks;
joe brennan

opcon4
04-01-2007, 03:07 PM
heck all it should take is a threaded tube to fit the 1/4 28 and a cap with a "firing pin"
guess I know what my project for the next few weeks will be :)