PDA

View Full Version : New gun legislation in Illinois

Charlie Two Tracks
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
http://ilga.gov/legislation/97/HB/PDF/09700HB5831lv.pdf

If you can stomach it, read pages 23-48. Incredible.

Wots
03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Cliff notes

URGENT ALERT – EMANUAL/OBAMA MACHINE PLANS SNEAK ATTACK ON YOUR GUN RIGHTS

As many of you know, the Illinois House Executive Committee sent two extremely anti-gun bills to the floor yesterday:

HB5831 – this bill would tack a $65.00 tax on every hand gun you own and require you to register like a sex offender.

HB5167 – this bill would tack a 2% “Sin Tax” on all ammunition sales in the state with the proceeds from the tax going to a fund to help pay for a healthcare program for gang bangers and drug lords.

EACH OF THESE TWO BILLS HAVE ONE PURPOSE AND ONE PURPOSE ONLY – TO PUNISH LAW-ABIDING FIREARM OWNERS

The Emanuel/Obama gun haters aren’t being the least bit bashful about their intent, they have made it clear that they will “screw-over” gun owners by any means possible.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PRESERVE AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS

1. Demonstrate your support for your gun rights – attend IGOLD 2012 - Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day on March 7th. See http://igold.isra.org for further details.

2. Contact your State Representative and politely inform him/her that you are a law-abiding firearm owner and that you do not support taxing ammunition and you do not support registering firearm owners like sex offenders. Tell him/her that you expect to see them vote AGAINST HB5831 and AGAINST HB5167 when these antigun bills come to the floor. If you do not know who your State Representative is, go to the Illinois Board of Elections: http://www.elections.state.il.us/DistrictLocator/DistrictOfficialSearchByAddress.aspx .

3. Contact the sponsor of the ammo tax, State Representative Kelly Cassidy, repcassidy@gmail.com, (217) 782-8088, (773) 784-2002, and tell her that you do not appreciate the idea of being taxed to pay gang bangers’ medical bills.

4. Contact the chief co-sponsor of the ammo tax, State Representative Kimberly du Buclet, rep26district@gmail.com , (217) 782-2023, (773) 285-1110, and tell her that you do not appreciate the idea of being taxed to pay gang bangers’ medical bills.

5. Contact the sponsor of the Emanuel/Obama gun tax, State Representative William Davis, (217) 782-8197, (708) 799-7300, and tell him that you do not appreciate the idea of being registered like a sex offender and having to pay a tax for exercising your constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

6. Pass this alert on to all your gun owning friends and family, tell them to follow the instructions above.

7. Post this alert to any and all Internet bulletin boards or blogs to which you belong.

REMEMBER – GUN CONTROL IS A DISEASE AND YOU’RE THE CURE! ...

Kraschenbirn
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
V-e-e-r-r-r-y Interesting. The bill's sponsors have tied handgun registration and closing down gunshows with several other issues that, for practical purposes, no intelligent legislator could vote against during an election year. Odds are that the Chicago-crats will attempt to bring it to the floor with minimum debate and force an "up or down" vote on the whole package.

Bill

Charlie Two Tracks
03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
You would have to have some kind of certificate that is issued by the state. It sounds like a title to a car or something. It would have to be on your person whenever you have THAT gun with you. What really got me this morning was a news report on a local channel that stated that the law was passed on the 29th of February. Fortunately they were not correct. It's always something. At work, most of the guys thought that I was nuts for being concerned about it. Most of the people here have been under gun control for so long, they think it is crazy to even think about carrying a gun on your person. In that bill it states that a spring actuated gun would not be classified as a weapon if the projectile did not go over 700 fps.............. crazy. A decent BB gun would have to be certified.....

10x
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
That is much the same as the frame work of Canada's firearms legislation. It has been paraphrased and modified.
Much of the power to decide who gets a firearms license is downloaded to the bureaucrats (read police services).

Gun owners in Canada have been fighting this since 1998. It is not good legislation and is a very clear infringement of the 2nd Amendment.
Any legislation that causes a delay for an individual who is entitled to possess a firearm in getting any firearm is an infringement of the 2nd Amendment. It is that simple.

Fight this one folks or the people of Illinois will face some serious restrictions on obtaining and keeping firearms.

BTW: This legislation seems to make it a state crime to possess a handgun without the proper registration certificate. That is a clear infringement on the second amendment.

The power and ability of biased public servants to abuse law abiding citizens who possess or want to possess guns is heavy in this bill.

Olevern
03-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Even attacking people who committed acts as a juvenile but have no adult record. Wow!

Wots
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
And then another cut and paste from the Illinois State Rifle As.

ISRA Offers Alternative Plan to Fund Trauma Centers

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., March 1, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

It goes without saying that the ISRA and law-abiding firearm owners everywhere strongly oppose HB5167. That bill, introduced by Rep. Kelly Cassidy (D-Chicago), would slap a 2% sin tax on ammunition sales made in the state. Supposedly, the proceeds of that sin tax would be pooled to provide healthcare services to gang bangers, drug lords, and other indigent participants in urban violence.

Although the ISRA opposes HB5167, the association does see a need to provide trauma centers with relief from the financial burden they bear as the result of urban violence. In addressing that need, the ISRA is floating a proposal that provides badly needed financial relief to urban trauma centers, yet assesses the responsibility for providing that relief with greater fairness than does a tax on law-abiding citizens who happen to purchase ammunition.

Under the ISRA proposal, a combination of sales and property surtaxes would be applied on a pro rata basis based on the home ZIP Codes of violent offenders. Homes and businesses located in ZIP Codes home to high numbers of offenders would pay more in taxes than residents and businesses located in areas home to fewer offenders. Additional revenues could be realized by placing similar surtaxes on vehicle registrations, cell phone bills, and utility bills of persons living in ZIP Codes home to violent criminals. The ISRA believes that it is certainly more equitable to place the responsibility for funding the outcomes of urban violence close to home than it is to tax lawful citizens living hundreds of miles from the problem.

"Our proposal for funding trauma centers is the best example of 'fair taxation' to come along in many years," commented ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "Our proposed tax plan would encourage those closest to the problem to develop a solution. After imposition of our proposal, I'm quite sure that homeowners and businesspeople in high-tax areas would be highly motivated to reign in their fellow residents responsible for violent crime. A state-wide tax, such as that proposed under HB5167, takes the focus off the localized nature of violent crime. Dilution of the sense of responsibility for violent crime makes it less likely that an effective solution to the root causes will be found. It's the old 'carrot and stick' theory. If residents and businesses want to get out from under violent offender surtaxes, then they must band together to find a solution. Our tax plan would promote communities coming together for a common cause – and that's a good thing."

.http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/illinois-state-rifle-association-offers-alternative-plan-to-fund-trauma-centers-141054953.html

missionary5155
03-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Good morning
The problem with this plan is it is too simple of a solution. Politicians from far away being cut out of the loop of authority ( more vacation money) would never stand (or sit) for this either.
But then the local liberals could form new oversite commities to control the flow of these taxes keeping it all for themselves.
Some years ago our neighborhood was having several homes a month robbed. Our neighborhood errected fences & key locked gates on the street ends. No more open access and through driving. Drastic drop in home robberies on our blocked off street.
MIke in Peru

Charlie Two Tracks
03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Could this be part of the problem?
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/14/chicago-called-most-corrupt-city-in-nation/
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/study-finds-illinois-third-most-corrupt-state/article_e5038a26-5812-11e1-bf8d-001a4bcf6878.html

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Charlie...

Actually, Illinois is #3 only on the basis of total number of politicians going to jail. Based on 'per capita' ratio (# of convicted politicians to population), we're really #1.

Bill

lcclower
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Illinois has a 2-term limit, I hear. One term in office, one term in the pen (rim shot).

10x
03-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Charlie...

Actually, Illinois is #3 only on the basis of total number of politicians going to jail. Based on 'per capita' ratio (# of convicted politicians to population), we're really #1.

Bill

So you are catching more. "We put the petty thieves in jail and elect the great ones to political office".

Hamish
03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
The Perp Walk:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145484

In the last 50 years, only 3 of our Governors have *not* gone to jail.

blackthorn
03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE:--Get active! Join the NRA, and yes I know some of you dont particularly like them, but like all organizations they march to the will of the majority, or pay the price! Join and take an active part in the political party that is your "best bet" to support what YOU believe! Don't just join, take an active roll in electing cantidates! Put your money where your mouth is. If you do not----welcome to the club, along with Great Britton, Australia, New Zeland and us folks up here in Canada. What I see here is almost identical to the **** we had shoved down our throats by the Liberals several years ago! Your choice!

I certainly hope the moderators will not move this thread so that it becomes lost in the political morass lower down! If anything this should be duplicated in other forums so that it gets MAXIMUM attention.

klcarroll
03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Well said Blackthorn!

.........And to everyone else, MAKE NO MISTAKE!! ............This is what the Obama Crowd has in mind for you ALL!

This Bill is a "test run" for bigger things, and it is happening in Illinois first simply because Cook County is their "home town", and they have the political resources in place to make a very good try at ramming this through!

Kent

klcarroll
03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I just finished a twenty minute phone conversation with my State Representative.

In addition to all of the obvious complains about this Bill, I informed her that if she failed to vote against HB5831 I would be donating both my money and time to her opponent in the next election.

.......Judging by the several seconds of silence that followed, I suspect that that statement "hit a nerve".

I suggest that all other who "have a dog in this fight" do the same.

Kent

ErikO
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Kent, that is excellent advice to any constituent of any incumbant out there even beyond this issue.

Jammer Six
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
It's not the only issue on the board, and President Obama is doing well in other areas.

Ed Barrett
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Every day my move out of Illinois, 45 years ago seems better and better. Chicago is the only place you have to take your name off the voting rolls or you will keep voting forever, Need I say it will be a democrat vote every time.

MakeMineA10mm
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, get the word out and get everyone calling their legislators. MOST importantly, hit the conservative democrats up for support on these and going against being a minion of the Chicago-dominated party-line! Wouldn't hurt to talk to your republican rep either.

It's the liberal representatives who really have to be pushed, though. They need to know their job is at stake. To that end, we have to get smarter in IL. To beat the Chicago machine, we have to put together a LOT of money to politically "full-court-press" the liberals including/especailly in areas surrounding the liberal strong-holds.

Also, don't forget, while you are on the phone with your representative, to push FOR the good bills. There are MORE FIREARMS BILLS BEING SUPPORTED BY THE ISRA THAN ARE BEING OPPOSED!!! This is a GREAT VICTORY!!! (A couple I really like - HB5681 [Armed Citizen Liability Immunity], HB5745 [Family & Personal Protection Act {CCW}], and HB5612 [deer hunting with pistol-caliber rifles].)

See the linked page here for a full list of all gun-related bills in the House and the Senate, and call (or better yet, stop by) your reps office to talk about these things. I'm printing off the list and going to talk to Mike Unes (a sponsor/writer of one of the good bills) to talk about all the gun bills he has a vote on...

http://www.isra.org/legislation/

Charlie Two Tracks
03-08-2012, 08:08 AM
I have contacted my legislator and he told me that he is a proud member of the NRA and would never support any legislation that did not support the 2nd Amendment. I am trying to get guys at work and in the neighborhood to contact him and others.

MakeMineA10mm
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I have contacted my legislator and he told me that he is a proud member of the NRA and would never support any legislation that did not support the 2nd Amendment. I am trying to get guys at work and in the neighborhood to contact him and others.

Charlie (and others),
What you just heard is the standard "get this guy outta my hair quickly, so I can do something I wanna do" line. I've heard it before too, and then watched those folks not vote according to what they said...

It is MUCH better to sit down with them and go over their opinions about each bill and gently and friendily bring in points where they are not looking at it right. These are people with emotions, so remember all the courtesy lessons you've learned while trying to persuade them.

Another great angle is to offer to take them shooting at a club event, so they can see the numbers of people in your club. Then, drop the hint (gently) that "Joe, over there, is our guy who watches our reps and senators voting records in Springfield.". He'll know what that means, especially if you have a good turn-out for the event (over 50 is necessary, and 100 is better). The rep will almost assuredly accept the invite, if you offer to let him speak after the event. (Free, apetizing food helps too. Around here a pig roast is a good bet.)

My old rep (conservative democrat) was a good, pro-gun guy (A- for voting record from NRA), but my new rep has even introduced some (minor -but he's new - first term, give him time :) ) pro-gun legislation, so I anticipate an A+ rating for him.

Another thing to consider - support the legislation to separate Chicago from the rest of the state. That would solve a lot in a hurry!

ErikO
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
The 'move to seperate' would entail Indiana giving up a bit as well from a Constitutional standpoint. I can't imagine it would be hard to get them to give up East Chicago and perhaps Gary as well. ;)

I have said it a few times before, if it wasn't for the food and a few friends I wouldn't miss Chicago at all.

Kraschenbirn
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
...Another thing to consider - support the legislation to separate Chicago from the rest of the state. That would solve a lot in a hurry!

The current proposal is nothin' more than a Tea-Party fantasy manipulated into election-year showboating by a pair of downstate Republican representatives (Mitchell and Flider) whose re-election is seriously in doubt due to (1) 'gerrymandering' of their districts during the constitutionally-required reapportionment after the most recent census and (2) the fact they've accomplished, essentially, nothing during their initial term(s) of office.

Even Bill Brady...most recent Republican candidate for Governor, just barely defeated by Quinn in the last election...has labeled the idea as "impractical" and Jim Edgar...constitutional scholar, the last Illinois governor NOT convicted of anything, and, probably, the state's most respected Republican...has said "won't happen - waste of resources and legislative credibility."

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Likely or not, and political headline-grabbing for a couple desperate republicans or not, the idea gets a LOT of traction outside the capitol bldg... I've had a couple requests for info via PM, several here like the idea, and everyone I talk to "on the street" (in downstate central Il) loves the idea...

Here's the link for those who want to read it: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/97/HJR/09700HJ0052.htm

472x1B/A
03-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks again 10mm. My dad and his dad desperately wanted this very thing to happen 50 years ago. Hmmmm, go figure.

Kraschenbirn
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Didn't mean to convey that I, personally, don't like the idea...'cause I do. However, with the Illinois Republicans prematurely dropping their challenges to the new, totally gerrymandered, legislative map(s) and the complete lack of movement by both houses of the state legislature on pension/Medicaid reforms/balanced budget, etc; the coming election is gonna to be a real battle for a number of downstate conservatives (both Rep. and Dem.) so we don't need to be wasting political resources and credibility on a pie-in-the-sky proposition with (literally!) no chance of success.

Stop and think...the proposal first has to get to the floor of the Democrat-controlled house (chaired by Speaker Michael Madigan, Dem-Chicago) for a vote, then, if it were to pass (chances slim & none), as a 'joint resolution' it would go to our Democrat-controlled senate (chaired by Senate President John Collerton, Dem-Chicago) for another vote, and - were it to pass there - the only thing achieved would be to get the proposition on the next general election ballot as a state-wide referendum. Btw...over 40% of Illinois voters (living voters, that is; the last census didn't include a count of the dead ones) reside in Cook County (urban Chicago) with close to another 20% in the 'collar' counties surrounding Cook. You think those folks are gonna vote 'yea' on a referendum that would take away the downstate tax dollars propping up their welfare, medicaid, mass transit, and education systems?

Now, if 'downstaters'...defined anyone outside Cook and the adjacent 'collar' counties...were to regain control of the state senate?? Might be a whole new ballgame, then...

Bill

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Which one of you asked me why I emigrated from Granite City, Illinois (think St Louis suburb)
to Idaho in the summer of 1978?

Here's your answer...

Rich
proud to live in a state where the United States Constitution is still in force

ilcop22
03-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Let's not forget these gems:

2% ammo tax (Known as the Sin tax - No joke)
http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=5167&GAID=11&GA=97&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=65285&SessionID=84

AW and HC Ban:
http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1294&GAID=11&SessionID=84&LegID=57470

Ban on private sales and transfers:
http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=4149&GAID=11&SessionID=84&LegID=63479

The problem with those of us not living in Cook county is that our votes don't count. 2008 gubernatorial election anyone? Cook county has roughly half of Illinois' population, mostly democrat. The rest of the state is conservative.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the problems we are having in Illinois will show other states what happens when the politicians buy off the population with programs from the government. I will keep fighting but it feels like trying to bail out the Titanic with a plastic bucket.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-12-2012, 06:14 PM
This is the response I got back. What cha think?
Dear Friend:

Thank you for your email. I appreciate hearing from you.

We are experiencing a high volume of incoming emails, but every message is read by my staff and if you live in Illinois we will provide a response as soon as possible.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

my addition: Democrat

ErikO
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
The last positive thing I've seen out of Dubin's office was moving my wife's green card application along. Who'd have thought that a Canadian marrying an American would have to wait four years to get her green card after the final interview? Would have been longer wihtout direct intervention, it seems. Fitzgerald didn't give a responce to either of our requests for help.