PDA

View Full Version : Some seem to dislike small pistol primer in 45ACP

357reloading
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Some seem to dislike small pistol primers in 45ACP. Why? I have easy 20# of 45 ACP indoor range brass and I really dont want to sort.

Reload3006
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
the biggest reason I dont like them is they get mixed up with LP brass and it causes a problem especially in progressive setups. As you can imagine a LP will not go in a SP hole.

357reloading
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
that makes sense. If I dont want to sort, then will need to make the price right.

Dan Cash
03-01-2012, 12:22 PM
the biggest reason I dont like them is they get mixed up with LP brass and it causes a problem especially in progressive setups. As you can imagine a LP will not go in a SP hole.

+ an infinite number. Small primers in a .45 case are un natural and an abomination of the Laws of God. As it is said in the great south land, "that jist hain't raat."

Bulltipper
03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
KRUUUUUNCH goes the Dillon...

edler7
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I have easy 20# of 45 ACP indoor range brass and I really dont want to sort.

I think you answered your own question.

357reloading
03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
yep is the reloading issue. thought might be an issue with small primer not doing the job. thanks for replys.

Calamity Jake
03-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Some seem to dislike small pistol primers in 45ACP. Why? I have easy 20# of 45 ACP indoor range brass and I really dont want to sort.

Auh, comeon man, where's your sence if adventure? [smilie=1: :mrgreen:

AR-15 Cowboy
03-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I never understood why they have both sizes for the same caliber. Did some commercial company have an overstock of the small and then decide to have cases manufactured to match. From a ballistics standpoint, there is not supposed to be any difference.

jcwit
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Small primers in 45 ACP, just another cartridge I can use the small rifle primers in!

montana_charlie
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Small primers in 45 ACP, just another cartridge I can use the small rifle primers in!
Rifle primers are 'taller' than pistol primers. Aren't you worried about slam fires?
CM

Mk42gunner
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
My personal opinion is that when the .45 ACP was developed, the U.S. military was only using large primers so that is what was used for the .45. Anybody know what size the .38 Long Colt took?

I know there was .38 Special and .357 Magnum brass that used large primers. The useable case capacity of the .357 and .45 are within .01cc of each other; whichever primer works for one will work for the other.

When they switched the .357 to SP, they should have switched the .45.

Robert

RayinNH
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I never understood why they have both sizes for the same caliber. Did some commercial company have an overstock of the small and then decide to have cases manufactured to match. From a ballistics standpoint, there is not supposed to be any difference.

I believe it started when the "green" primers came out...Ray

RayinNH
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
If I had that many cases I would bite the boolit [smilie=l: and sort them. Put the small ones away for the next primer shortage. It may allow you to keep shooting. If you shoot at an indoor range that doesn't allow you to pick up the brass, get rid of them that way...Ray

MtGun44
03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I have around 4000 or more LP cases in stock and they really muck up the works when
one gets mixed in the program on my Dillon 550.

Bill

L1A1Rocker
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Rifle primers are 'taller' than pistol primers. Aren't you worried about slam fires?
CM

Only the large ones are taller. The small primers have the same external dimensions.

snuffy
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
The small primer 45 acp came about because the non-toxic primers were only made in the small pistol size. The reason for that is; the non toxic primer compound is MUCH more energetic than the standard lead styphonate primer compound. They would back out of the pocket when fired, so some were crimped. They then found out that enlarging the flash hole helped solve the back-out problem.

I have yet to see any around where I dig for brass. Very little scrap brass around my ranges, most of the members reload, so slim pickens.

klcarroll
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Personally, I prefer the small primer 45ACP.

It makes my primer inventory simpler.

Kent

Moonie
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't like the small primer brass as I use a progressive, I've taken to forming small primer brass into 400 corbon.

Hogokansatsukan
03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been looking to buy 45acp with the small primer pockets. I hate changing my primer feeder over in my press and the only other round I load for that takes large pistol is the .44 mag.
If anyone is looking to get rid of these... drop me line.
It seems they can't make a NT large pistol primer which is the reason these exist with the small primer.

firefly1957
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I have some OLD 38 cases with large pistol primers they really cause a problem in a progressive press.

AnthonyB
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm a BIG fan of the SP 45 ACP. Very few others want it, so I get it cheap! I sort all my brass anyway, so it is a non-issue for me.
Tony

jcwit
03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
CM

This is true of large primers, large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers

Here we're talking of small primers. Small rifle primers are the same height as small pistol primers.

So we are in no danger of a slam fire.

tomme boy
03-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I could almost bet you can blame Walmart for the current SP primers. They set a price an if you can not meet it, they will not buy it from you. If you look at it from a manufacturing view, it cost less to run the SP primers. Down time is money. When most all pistols are primed with a small primer, Why switch. Having less inventory to handle, Less down time on set up changes. Its a win win for ATK.

Exclr8
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I like the small primers because if i accidentally pick up a large and it get mixed in with my small, no problem. The primer does not seat and i can feel that it didn't. I just remove it from the lock and load and pitch it in the spare brass bucket. Make loading 45 acp on a progressive less worrisome. Also like not having to change over to large primers and not having to keep two different sizes.

MikeD7
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I've been looking to buy 45acp with the small primer pockets. I hate changing my primer feeder over in my press and the only other round I load for that takes large pistol is the .44 mag.
If anyone is looking to get rid of these... drop me line.
It seems they can't make a NT large pistol primer which is the reason these exist with the small primer.

PM coming your way! I have tons of SP 45s

jcwit
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I suspect the SPP all started with the non toxic rounds and way back they had a very large flash hole so maybe the manufacturer used a small primer for that reason, who knows. I doubt it was from WalMart purchasing power.

DIRT Farmer
03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I like the 1.5 k I got for twenty dollars because no one wanted to buy them. There were a few LP primed ones mixed in, those are hard to catch if you miss them, the small primer goes in and stayes in the primer cup.

Blammer
03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
ever try jamming a LP in a SP hole? that's why they are not in favor.

terrible on the 'routine' when ONE shows up.

now if that is all you had, then one with a LP hole would throw the monkey in the wrench.

runfiverun
03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
they done it to *** me off.
they knew i went and totally stocked up on large primers, and have only a few thousand small primers on hand.

tomme boy
03-02-2012, 12:43 AM
You must not have ever delt with Walmart then if you don't believe they at least had a little to do with it. I do not think the older NT has anything to do with it. Stand back an take a look how much they save by not having to switch over to a LP primer.

Trust me, I have been doing maintenance an set up in factories for over 15 years. Anytime you can cut time make a process run better or smother, the more money that is saved and made. Less downtime = more money. That is all that maters to the higher ups.

edsmith
03-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I always inspect my brass. I don't understand those who do not inspect their brass, way too many things that could go wrong with uninspected brass. I sure would not shoot any that was not inspected.

AR-15 Cowboy
03-02-2012, 03:20 AM
A friend of mine was telling me that the industry is developing a universal primer that will work with all boolit loads and calibers. I don't know if that is true or not, anybody hear anything about that?

jcwit
03-02-2012, 03:40 AM
You must not have ever delt with Walmart then if you don't believe they at least had a little to do with it. I do not think the older NT has anything to do with it. Stand back an take a look how much they save by not having to switch over to a LP primer.

Trust me, I have been doing maintenance an set up in factories for over 15 years. Anytime you can cut time make a process run better or smother, the more money that is saved and made. Less downtime = more money. That is all that maters to the higher ups.

I was a production supervisor for a Rec. Vehicle supplier. Don't try to tell me about downtime, changeovers, saving time=money ect, ect. I measured monies saved to pennies on the hour. My predecessors record was 70,000 ft in an 8 hour shift, I accomplished 260,000 feet in an 8 hour shift and did an avg of over 200,000 feet daily on a weekly basis. Yup I know all about it.

We supplied Winnebago, Coachmen, Jayco, ForestRiver, Keystone, ect, ect. These are just a few of the larger ones.

tomme boy
03-02-2012, 03:52 AM
So if a line goes down, are you making money?

Time is money.

jcwit
03-02-2012, 04:05 AM
The primary object is to never let a line go down completly. There were times I worked thru the entire night so that would not happen. Ever try to put in a 32 hour day?

tomme boy
03-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Done 24. Slept for 5 then came in an did a 12. Lightning hit the gas house and set off 24 of the balls for the fire suppression system. Each ball carried 12 gal of water. Then the regular spray heads turn on. You have to be certified by the BATF to work on these balls. I would not touch them so I never got certified.

Some of the stuff we made, you had to have down time. You just tried to keep it short as possible. Some of the chemicals we mixed could be a very bad thing if they were to be mixed.

missionary5155
03-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Good morning
As best I know I do not have any... but this is the kind of stuff I would do when the news is on or watching some sports event during comercials.
Mike in Peru

dragon813gt
03-02-2012, 07:47 AM
If WalMart is the cause then why do the ones I have bought from there have LPP?

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Reload3006
03-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I have been wrong about a great number of things so if this is another Oh well. I have been lead to believe that they made Small Primer pocket 45 for easy identification for indoor ranges to distinguish Non Toxic ammo from Ammo containing Lead. Both work equally as well just a pain in the back side in my XL650 and Square Deal. But nothing we cant get over. As far as cost of production I dont see how its anymore expensive to punch a big hole as a small one. production costs would be the same after the initial tooling was purchased. Since 45acp has been LP primed for past 40 years that I have been doing it SP was a new tooling adventure and It cost more money I doubt that Walmart had anything to do with that. Its more than likely a government thing. At least that would be my best guess.

Kraschenbirn
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I've got something like 4000 LPP .45 ACPs on hand...about 2/3 milsurp and the rest commercial. Any .45 ACP range pick-ups that come my way are immediately inspected and sorted: LPPs into the tumbler, SPPs into the recycle bin. Problem solved before it became a problem...kinda like the ol' cattleman's solution to hoof & mouth disease.

Bill

ErikO
03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I was a production supervisor for a Rec. Vehicle supplier. Don't try to tell me about downtime, changeovers, saving time=money ect, ect. I measured monies saved to pennies on the hour. My predecessors record was 70,000 ft in an 8 hour shift, I accomplished 260,000 feet in an 8 hour shift and did an avg of over 200,000 feet daily on a weekly basis. Yup I know all about it.

We supplied Winnebago, Coachmen, Jayco, ForestRiver, Keystone, ect, ect. These are just a few of the larger ones.

If you worked for a composits manufacturer somewhere off of I-80 I think I worked in the vending machine section of that same company.

ErikO
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Since I don't have a progressive yet, I keep the SP Federal brass seperate from the others. No big deal for me, but I do get why folks have trouble.

jcwit
03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
If you worked for a composits manufacturer somewhere off of I-80 I think I worked in the vending machine section of that same company.

Nope, Aluminum & plastic extrusions and misc. hardware.

Adam10mm
03-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I really wish pistol cartridges were all small primer, even my beloved 10mm and .45 ACP, which don't need a large primer.

Bigger cases like the .41 mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt should have a large primer.

30cal
03-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Sounds like a government operation,two primer sizes for one caliber

mirage2521
03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
If I had that many cases I would bite the boolit [smilie=l: and sort them. Put the small ones away for the next primer shortage. It may allow you to keep shooting. If you shoot at an indoor range that doesn't allow you to pick up the brass, get rid of them that way...Ray

I never heard of that. That would be a one time trip I think.

firefly1957
03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Seems to me the 45 GAP had small pistol primers to help keep them for being mixed up with 45 ACP cases? Am I wrong?

Hogokansatsukan
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
PM coming your way! I have tons of SP 45s

PM Responded to.

On an aside, wouldn't it be possible to have .44 magnum brass with a small primer pocket as well, and use a small rifle primer.

As you may have gathered, I just hate changing out the primer feeder in my Lock and Load progressive.

AnthonyB
03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I wish all you guys who don't like SP 45 ACP would save them for me! I'll gladly pay more than you are getting at the recycler for once-fired SP brass.
Tony

rockrat
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Loading some on the Dillon today. Missed a small primered case in the sort. BANG. Flame shot up about 4". Ears kind of smarted. Had to re-sort. Missed another one, but it only went "crunch".
Gonna keep a pair of pliars next to where I sort, so I don't get that again