PDA

View Full Version : Favorite .218 Bee Components

mx5tc
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I figured it would be better to start a new thread on this rather than hijack the existing .22 Hornet thread, even though some of the information I'm looking for may be applicable to both cartridges.
I've got the following setup that I'm getting ready to reload for:

TC Contender frame with Bellm trigger job

TC Contender .22LR 10" blued bull barrel rechambered to .218 Bee by Mike Bellm:
6 grove design
1:15 twist
Recessed target crown
Throat is .224
Lands run .223-.224

I've already got a set of RCBS FL dies which I had Mike Bellm check out when
I got the barrel rechambered), small rifle primers, and WW cases (only game in town for .218 Bee). I've got the the following .224 bullets:
Midway Dogtown 34 gr HP
Hornady 35 gr Vmax
Bulk 55gr FMJ (AR)
69gr Sierra MK (AR)

From what I've read, 40-46gr J-words and 50-60g boolits seem to be preferred in the Hornet/Bee. Am I going to be wasting time and effort trying to load the 34 & 35 gr J-words for the Bee? I plan on ordering some 40 & 45-46gr J-words but I don't know if I should go with .223 or .224 bullets based on my median land measurement of about .2235. I may try loading a few of the 55gr FMJs just to see if the 1:15 barrel will stablize them but I'm not planning on doing this with the heavy 69gr SMKs.

My plan is to get the Bee shooting as accurately as possible with J-words and then try to make the transition to boolits. Any suggestions on boolit types, weights and sizing dies (go with a .225 sizing die??) ? My preference is to keep velocity up so I'm assuming that I'll need a gas check boolit; please help me out on this.

Powder on hand:
AA #2
Green Dot
Unique
AA #5
AA #9
V N110
H335
Varget
RL22

Based on my reloading manuals, it looks like Unique through N110 (very similar to Lil Gun) should be decent powders to start working up loads with.

I've already run a box of Winchester factory 46gr HPs through the barrel and it seems to shoot better than I do (I don't have a bipod mount on the 1 screw forend for the 10" barrel and I have a heck of time maintaining a steady point of aim) with decent groupings after knocking out my fliers.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, thanks in advance!

Mitch

elk hunter
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
My favorite Bee load used Federal SR primers, 12.5 grains of Winchester 680 powder and 45 grain Nosler Hornet bullets. Unfortunately Winchester 680 and Nosler Hornet bullets are no longer made. I still have about 800 Noslers, but the 680 is all but gone. Don't know what I'll use the next time I decide to load some up. Both 4198 and 4227 are used by some folks, I tried both and stayed with 680 while it lasted.