PDA

View Full Version : C-H lube/sizer heater

doghawg
02-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Is anyone here familiar with this unit? It works but I'm wondering if the 1/4" thick pad on the base is a harmless fireproof ceramic or could it possibly be asbestos? I bought a used Lyman 450 recently and this came with it but I can't give a date of manufacture. I have a call in to the "new" C-H company but no answer yet...
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/565apple/1911pics023medium.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
If that heater is older than about 1980 then that material is probably asbestos.

However if you don't snort or eat any of it it won't affect you in any way.

It takes a significant amount of exposure to asbestos to get Mesotheleoma. Just having that tool around you won't hurt you at all.

Just keep it out of your mouth!

Randy

shaune509
02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
+1 to Randys reply.
This type of asbestos paper was used to insulate lots of thing up to the 80's. Wood stove, cook ranges andother hi heat items. If not abraded you should be OK. One way to use itwould be to seal the surface with stove paint and then mount to your work top, then try not to damage the exposed edge. You could remove ot and replace with the current replacement material [ceriel wool??] from ether a wood stove shop or appliance repair shop.
Shaune509

midnight
02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
These heaters shouldn't get that hot. I just glue some 1/16 in sheet cork to the bottom of the ones I make. It mostly keeps from marring the bench top when you clamp it down. Even the hard lubes don't have to get above 120º to flow well. The heaters I use are from 25 to 31 watts and I have to use a rheostat to control the heat.

Bob