PDA

View Full Version : Ever forget to take your bolt or ammo?

303Guy
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Done that, been there! But my buddy takes the cake. He doesn't forget the bolt or the ammo, he forgets the rifle! :mrgreen: Well actually, he took the wrong rifle. But no matter, we had a good evening hunting rabbits with the rifle he did take. (He 'took' two rifles - so did I).

winelover
02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
No----but I did forget to take the key for the gun locks.:groner: Was about 90 miles from home. Wife was coming up later in the day and I caught her before she left. This was prior to cell phones.

Winelover

Trey45
02-29-2012, 08:53 AM
I had the day planned, had called a few buddies to meet for a day of shooting at the rifle range, made plans to shoot several rifles, and a few pistols. Spent the afternoon before the meet making sure everything was ready, rifles, pistols, spotting scope, ammo, ears and eyes, tools, everything ready to go. The day of the shoot loaded up the truck with everything, or so I thought, and drove out to the range, 45 minutes. Get there and start unloading the truck, and realize then that I had left my ammo can sitting on the garage floor. :groner:

Luckily the range sold ammo and I was able to get some shooting in, not as much as I had planned, and not with the ammo I had loaded and wanted to test, but I still got some trigger time in. From that point on, every time I go to a range, the ammo can is the FIRST thing that gets packed in the truck!

southpaw
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I have left the bolt on the cleaning bench and grabbed the wrong ammo before. It is not such a big deal for me since I am about 5 minutes away from the range. When we finish the house the range will be just outside the door. Can't wait!

Jerry Jr.

10x
02-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Way back in the 1950s my uncle bought a rifle from Roy Weatherby, sighted it in and went on a sheep hunt in Northern British Columbia. A few minutes after uncle got his stuff from the 'plane to the tent he unpacked his rifle to discover the bolt missing. It was sitting on his kitchen table at home. That made a lasting impression on me...

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
No----but I did forget to take the key for the gun locks.:groner: Was about 90 miles from home. Wife was coming up later in the day and I caught her before she left. This was prior to cell phones.

Winelover

my second year hunting , there was a bunch of new info and laws about keeping kids from accessing guns and we fell victim to the every gun should have a lock BS , why i don't know i had my own key

so since my birth there had been an unsecured shotgun in the hall closet (actually the ammo was in dads underwear drawer that seem fairly secure to me) , when i got old enough to hunt and my dad bought me my own shotgun we got some free locks and locked them up WHY i think it was to make my mother feel better who watched the news. again i had my own key.

that year we rode up to hunting with a friend in his truck so my dad didn't bring his keys and neither did I , we found out at 5am the morning of opening day when we pull the guns out of the cases and he looked at me and asked for the key and i said i thought you had them.

90 miles is nothing we were 230 miles and a 8 mile boat ride from home

well as usual most every one brings a backup gun so i borrowed a cousins 16 ga bolt and my dad borrowed another family member's spare gun and we went hunting , i missed the deer i shot at , almost certain i would have had it with my own gun but thats life

we ditched the locks , dad bought a safe to make mom feel better a few years later when my brother was getting older and having friends over to the house

chboats
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Well I guess this tells me where I'm at. I have done all of the above at one time or another.
Went to shoot skeet and left the forearm to the shot gun on the bench. Left the ammo box at home or brought the ammo but the wrong gun. Brought the ammo and the gun but left all the mags at home.

Will probably do some of them again

Carl

Trey45
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Carl

:killingpc Yup! That's the worst thing about it too, is KNOWING that it's going to happen again eventually.

koehn,jim
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes I got to the range and did not have the bolt for my Mauser, the range gave me a refund and its only 15 min away but silly .

Harter66
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I have taken several guns on a hunt w/a mis match,those 357s just fall right out the bottom of a 45 Colts.I did grab the fowl can 1 morning to go chucker hunting not a real big deal except that Bs make a bigger hole than 6s and kick like all,big steel going through a lead full choke.

Kraschenbirn
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Well I guess this tells me where I'm at. I have done all of the above at one time or another.
Went to shoot skeet and left the forearm to the shot gun on the bench. Left the ammo box at home or brought the ammo but the wrong gun. Brought the ammo and the gun but left all the mags at home.

Carl

Yes to all of the above except for leaving the shotgun forearm at home...but, then, I don't shoot much trap, skeet, or clays these days, either. If I did, I'm certain I could look forward to, eventually, mislaying either the forearm or correct choke tubes.

Once upon a time, I went to a 'major league' IPSC match, opened my range box, and found I'd grabbed the wrong carton off the reloading bench...200 rounds of 'softball' semi-wadcutters. Made a panic run to nearest WalMart, grabbed all the Winchester 'white box' FMJs they had on the shelf, and, next day, shot my best match of that year. Go figure.

Bill

Dschuttig
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Ever gone to the range with a ruger convertible to realize you have the wrong cylinder for the ammo you brought? Happened to me several times!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
The staple gun and staples were the most often missing items when we went to the range

i now have a designated range bag , that carries stapler , staples , eyes and ears for everyone and a few small tools
also it always has a brick of 22 and some other assorted ammo in the blue plastic boxes , i would rather drag a few extra pounds with than realize i forgot what i needed

I need to get an even better range kit together , with all my wanted items in it , some day

i did head to the range once to sight in the muzzle loader , got there had about 3 shots worth of powder in the flask , 45-55 minute drive to the range at that time checked the local stores no luck gave up and went home.

i joined a closer range now i am only 20 minutes away and only 10 minutes from the range to a walmart

birdadly
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Winelover

Are you my long lost brother??? Ha, just last fall my brother drove about 80 miles to see me and to sight in our rifles... yep, he forgot the key for his gunlock. I think it turned out that a key to another friend's rifle worked for my brothers... or we used a screwdriver... I actually can't recall. Good times. -Brad

Oh, and a mistake I made that I can think of... driving 25 miles to a range to shoot clays and forgot the clays! Luckily the local hardware store stocked them... paid twice as much probably, but had fun!

runfiverun
02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
drove out to jump shoot some ducks off an open creek by my parents place one winter got all the way there opened the gun case and discovered that i had my b.i.l's browning pump trap gun instead of my old win 1300.
my parents lived on the way to the marsh i liked to hunt, so i just left the 1300 there and a case of ammo.[not so good as my brother thought it was community property]
i could swing by before or after work or if i had an unplanned open day or sumthin.
best part about it was his dog was there too so it was pretty handy.
i ended up cutting a stick for a mag plug and went on my way.
it was a pretty good duck gun airc.
my gun case got some duct tape wrapped around it though.

starmac
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
There is always a firearm and ammo in the pickup, so getting completely skunked would be hard.
Most of mine are levers, so that insulates me from the bolt issue.
The only time I use a trigger lock is if I am flying with a firearm, so pretty safe there.
My muzzle loaders are the same caliber, and I keep a large camera bag with dividers and extra pockets stocked up with everything I would possibly (hopefully) need. I always throw it in along with my possibles bag, so I've been lucky there. I even have ammo in the box on my four wheeler for anything I would normally carry in the field, so fairly safe there too.
I did go on a hunt with a friend in NM though that left his hunting license at home, his wife and mine had to make a couple hundred mile midnight run for that. lol

rr2241tx
02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Detachable box magazines are the work of the Devil. When needed they are always somewhere other than in the case with the rifle or drop out of their own volition taking all your ammo on a wild ride to the bottom of the mountain you just spent four hours climbing when you need to load your rifle for the only shot you're going to get the whole week. I will no longer own a hunting rifle with a detachable box magazine nor a hinged floorplate that can be unlatched without tools. Double that for J-Lock Remington bolts because you already know where that stupid key got left.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I have been on the boat before when a guy realizes he forgot his hunting license , luckily our dnr will now print you a copy for 12 dollars , that is sure a lot cheaper than missing opening day.
most every hardware store , or sporting goods store can print you one.

i have bought my fishing license at 4am before going out fishing a few times now , just do it online and print the receipt and i am good to go till the rest of it comes in the mail

i only usually get out a few times a year if that when i go visit my dad, if i wake up and the weather is bad we go back to bed and forget buying a license , fishing i am fair weather , hunting i haven't run into the weather that i wouldn't deer hunt in

ilcop22
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I once forget the follower and spring for my 1903a3. The worst part was when a fellow collector came up to talk about my gun. I did my best to hide the fact that I had left those parts on the bench at home. :groner:

bobthenailer
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
It happend this tuesday to my shootin buddy ! he brought 9mm ammo and brougt the 40 s&w glock instead of the 9mm.

wallenba
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
No, but I did take the wrong ammo. I realized something was wrong afte shooting three rounds from my 45 Colt Ruger. No recoil, very little report. Dumped them out. 44 SPECIALS !! The cases were trashed, blown out, lots of soot everywhere. Next day I made that long overdue appointment with the eye doctor.

**oneshot**
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a list:
Forgot my ammo once.
Brought the wrong ammo once
Left my magazine at home twice
Took my rifle case for a ride to the range, I had 3 cases in my hand one was empty.
targets, staples, stapler all have not made the trip at one time or another

It happens.

missionary5155
02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Greetings
Went out once to pop crows early morning and forgot to replenish my crow load box from the last time out... had just two rounds so was very frugile about the two crows I decided to pop.
Went to the local Danville range once without the ammo I wanted to test in a 45 Colt Ruger.. but I always haul out several items so it was not a total loss.
Mike in Peru

Tom-ADC
02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
No but have left the magazine at home so it was a single shot day.

Freischütz
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I brought the wrong ammo a couple of times.

Years ago some left the bolt for his Madsen 30/06 bolt action at the rifle range. They kept it for several years and finally threw it out.

Freightman
02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
I have taken a rifle and forgot the ammo, went to the range pulled up and there was three rifles sitting in the rack. Look all over no one there but me. The rifles were not cheap one was a Spencer by someone down state Texas, a target .22 by Schetzen (spelling) and a Shiloh. Well I put them in the locked boxcar where the targets are kept as it was trying to rain. Shot a few rounds and a thunder storm was coming so I locked the box car and loaded up and was fixing to leave. Here comes a man all out of breath and pale, ask if I had found his rifles? well after him describing them told him where they were, thought he was going to kiss me, his face went back to normal and breathing stopped being sharp and shallow.
I have forgot ammo but never my rifles at the range.

starmac
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
I did forget my old single barrel shotgun one time. the last squirrel that day wasn't completely dead, so I leaned my shotgun against a big oak tree. I didn't even miss it until the next day when I was ready to leave to hunt again. I looked everywhere I could think of, before I thought about leaning it against the tree, but it was still there. lol

firefly1957
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes I have done that going hunting and to the range both I was able to deer hunt with one rifle I took as you can buy 30-06 about anywhere same for 44 Mag pistol. But try buying 50-3 1/4" Sharps. The next weekend I picked up the box off the floor where I left it to go back up north and got a deer at 150 yds with the Sharps.

ElDorado
02-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I loaded up 250 45 ACP last summer and left the 1911A1 at home!

DIRT Farmer
02-29-2012, 11:39 PM
One of my best days hunting was this fall. I brought every thing but the Mag 10 on an afternoon duck hunt with one of my sons and the oldest grandson. I called and watched them shoot.
I went wood duck hunting with some friends, I was using my 10 ga SxS muzzleloader. I picked up a capper (empty) and every one else was using modern.

Quigley284
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
I have check lists for everything from pheasant hunting to ice fishing to prairie dogs. I decide what needs to be on list, make changes as needed. Check off list as it goes in the truck and all is well. Mike

bob208
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
does forgetting the caps for the muzzloader count? or how about getting there with the musket and only have no. 10 caps? i have also left the loading rod at home too.

rockrat
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Went to a shoot one time. Forgot the barrel!! Luckily, I brought other stuff and did end up finding another barrel

docone31
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
After having hand dovetailed two barrels for adjustable sights, I finally went to the range.
The night before, I got everything ready, powder, caps, balls, R.E.A.L.s, rifles, everything.
Next day, we set out to the range, which is a few miles down the road. Got all set up to test fire them, and had forgotten the .50 balls and R.E.A.L.s for the .50.
Like duh. The range is 60 miles away from us.
Well, we shot the .54, the sight worked real well. I guess it is less to clean not having to clean the .50. I cleaned it anyway.
First time, I wonder, now, how many more.

Geraldo
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
does forgetting the caps for the muzzloader count? or how about getting there with the musket and only have no. 10 caps? i have also left the loading rod at home too.

I've done that. It's also fun to get to the range and find out that what you bought at the gunshop was musket caps, and all you use is #11s. I've also left the right RBs at home, taken the wrong ammo or no ammo for a Contender barrel. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this.

rexherring
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
It's happened to all of us. It's called a Senior Moment". This is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9nndS22Qda0?rel=0

Artful
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
:killingpc Yup! That's the worst thing about it too, is KNOWING that it's going to happen again eventually.

:bigsmyl2:

azrednek
03-01-2012, 12:45 PM
ever gone to the range with a ruger convertible to realize you have the wrong cylinder for the ammo you brought? Happened to me several times!

yep!!

Pb&j
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Yup, Trey45 hit it perfectly. The mad scurry to get to the ducks has hit several times. On an opener I thought something was not right, then it struck me that I left the darn stamps on the kitchen counter signed and everything. On another day good ole Kenny found his barrel missing from the case. 20min boat ride and an hour and a half trip to and from. And then...anybody seen my waders? Good times on the Potomac!

Chihuahua Floyd
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Shooting black powder, brass shotgun shells, gun, ammo, jug of soapy water to put empties in, water, forgot to put water in the jug.
Forgot to chamber a round, line u crosshairs, click.
Probably forgot what I forgot.
How can I have a senior moment when I'm only 51? What will I be like when I'm 82 like my Dad.
CF

mooman76
03-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't think I ever forgot my ammo but I forgot my magazines once. Had a whole pile of guns too but forgot I decided to store the mags seperate. I did forget my bolt once though. I pulled it out for something, I don't remember what but forgot to put it back. Seems like I am always forgetting something any more so I have gotten where I take extra guns in case I am missing something from one, I haven't wasted a trip.