PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs HELP!

Khmer2684
02-29-2012, 02:17 AM
I've tried searching but i keep getting an error. This is the first forum I have ever signed up for. i recently purchase my casting supplies. I have done research on casting. i currently just started my first casting session using WW. i am using 1 ogive 228 gr 45 acp Lee 6 cavity mould. i casted about 200 boolits. i weighed them and they came in at 221.5 gr to 223 gr. majority were 223 gr. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong. it looks like the mould is completly filled out the base of the boolit looks like the picture of properly cast boolit. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

bfuller14
02-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Welcome Khmer2684,
What do you think that you are doing wrong? If you are talking about
the weight, that will vary with your type of lead. More will chime in and
give you good advice. First you might list all you have questions about
so someone can guide you too what you are looking for.

Regards,
Barry

dromia
02-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure that you are necessarily doing anything wrong, that weight spread isn't too bad and could be accounted for by some of the cavities being cut slightly differently or perhaps your hand tension on the handles is varying.

Any way I'd batch the boolits by weight, load them up and see how they shoot, if they all go into the same place then you are worrying unnecessarily.

runfiverun
02-29-2012, 03:44 AM
you have 6 cavity's there.
.75% weight fluctuation is nothing in fact it's good.
if you are worried about them weighing something other than what the mold say's it's supposed to thats nothing either.
usually a mold drops a little heavier than the weight specified.
what you need to worry about is the diameter,proper fill out, lube,and how they shoot.

stubshaft
02-29-2012, 03:59 AM
I know it's hard to believe but multi cavity molds usually cast multi-weight/diameter boolits. Shoot them first and then report any problems.

AR-15 Cowboy
02-29-2012, 05:35 AM
The different weights are probably because of your alloy. Lee molds use a ten to one mix (ten parts lead, one part tin) to get their specified weight.

44man
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Easy solution! Don't weigh your boolits! [smilie=l:

btroj
02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
44man is right, you went wrong when you weighed the bullets.

Stop worrying aout whether or not your scale likes the bullets, go see if your gun does.
If the gun likes them and they shoot well what more do you need to know?

DLCTEX
02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
The weight difference is no big deal. Use the data for 230 gr. loads and have at it. The weight variance is also no big deal for most all pistol shooting. If you were casting for match quality rifle ammo then you may be concerned with selecting similar weight groups for loading.

WD2A7X3
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Easy solution! Don't weigh your boolits! [smilie=l:

I don't weigh mine either, as long as the diamater is good and they look good that's all that matters, I'm not going for accuracy perfection most of the time just cheap plinking ammo.

I wouldn't worry about a few gr off Khmer, it's likely just the lead your using.

Khmer2684
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I appreciated all the responses. i was just concerned that my boolit being cast as low as 7 gr below was a screw up by me. I have read other posts where other people had cast with +/- 2 grains but not 5-7 gr. Like i said I'm a noob so I'm really being over cautious. i guess no more weighing my bullets. I am just trying to learn and do this right. Thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate the warm welcome.