PDA

View Full Version : Heck of a Winter!

Hickory
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
It’s been a rough winter in more than one way. Just before Christmas I got a real bad cold, but the Doc said it was a cold and not the flu. But we talked about the pain in my left shoulder got some tests and determined it was a torn rotor cuff, so we set up surgery for the first of January.

Had the surgery and everything went well and after the first day I had no pain, no need to take the pain meds. After 4 week I started PT, after, 6 weeks I ditched the sling and was doing great until I started coughing. This was a different sort of cough then I have ever had before.

I'd get into a coughing fits and could not stop for 4-5 minutes; sometimes I’d nearly pass out. This went on for about a week or 10 days. Until one time I did pass out. When I came to, I was on the floor and could not move. After an hour I did manage to get to my feet and into bed. I slept for a while until my wife got home from work and asked why I was in bed. I told her what happened and she wanted to call the EMS but I said it would cost 6 to 800 dollars. I said just get me on my feet and take me to the hospital.

At the hospital the Doc said I had pneumonia and a broken back, but there was good news too. It appears that the break in my back was to a small part of the vertebra on the L3 not even close to the spinal cord. Four days on the hospital and I never felt so miserable in my life. Saw the Doc again today and she said I still have the pneumonia but my lung are clear, but I can’t set and stand for very long. Although I can lie down without it hurting very much.

How’s winter been for you guys?

slide
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Man that is tough! Hang in there.

FISH4BUGS
02-28-2012, 06:27 PM
...I bought a brand new snow blower and used in once on a 4" snowstorm all winter. I complained about the lack of snow.
Your story put that into perspective. If that is the worst thing that happens to me this winter I will be happy.
Hope you are feeling better. Rest up.

jlm223
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
After reading your post, i have to say I have had a good winter, here in central Indiana the weather has not been bad, not much snow," knock on wood", we will probably pay for it in March, hope yours gets better.

Olevern
02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I've been struggling with sinusitus all winter, meds no longer working to control the post nasal drip and the cough and sore throats that go with it, tried several diff. meds,like taking nothing at all, but I've had a great winter compared to you, hope you are up and about soon.

ricksplace
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I had a heart attack the morning of New Years Eve. Shoveled snow for an hour, stacked wood for an hour, then boom! I had one artery plugged 100% (the offending little bugger that caused the attack), one plugged 97% and one plugged 95%. I was a walking time bomb. Now I have three new stents, I feel great and cardiac rehab is working well. Doc says I am expected to make a full recovery. I am taking early retirment at the end of June. Funny how a near death experience sorta changes your priorities...

All in all it's been a great winter!

Hickory
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
The pain medicine I had no need for with my shoulder
has come in handy with the back pain I have now.
The Doc said it may take up to 2 months to heal.

firefly1957
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Prayers for your full recovery.

white eagle
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
best of luck
I feel for ya
I had surgery to fix my hip made it worse
hoocheemama

JeffinNZ
02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I got a chest cold in the middle of January (our 'summer') that parked me up for a while. I couldn't have run to the mail box let alone the 7 miles I do regularly.

Our summer has been average with a capital 'A'.

Harter66
02-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Been sick more on than off since Thanksgiving,pnuemonia once,sinises twice(feed the pnuemonia),flu once. Blew the transmission in my hunting/range/beater truck, parked it. The Army sons not talking to me much these days in spite of me raising his kids. Raising his kids has reduced our marriage to roomies w/baby sitting duties. My spring hunting planned in November is now basicly scrubbed,no hawgs available on the selected lands.

At least the reaper hasn't knocked at my door personaly.

Get healed up man you got living left to do!

Frosty Boolit
02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
This ridiculous winter is playin tricks on us Ohioans. I've had to much sickness already and betweeen my wife and neighbors it's a wonder if we have even seen much of each other this winter due to sickness.

Max Brand
02-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Boy you sure did have a rough winter! Glad to hear you are on the mend now. GB

Bret4207
02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Hickory, that IS a tough winter, I've gone through double pneumonia before, not fun and it sticks with for some time. Was the break in your back from earlier or after the rotary cuff? Either way, hope you have a better spring!

Hickory
02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Hickory, Was the break in your back from earlier or after the rotary cuff? Either way, hope you have a better spring!

It was after the rotary cuff surgery.
What happened was, I was in the bathroom after a shower and started coughing. I set on the john until it passed, at least i thought it had passed.
Got up and took a few steps into the living room, when I started coughing
all over again. Then everything went dark, I think I hit the back of the couch and bounced off and then hit my back on the corner of the bookcase.

ErikO
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Thank God that break wasn't worse, glad to hear you're on the mend.

Wayne Smith
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I have had multiple experiences with pneumonia over the years. Once I was tested for allergies and got on shots this has ended, God willing. Get well and get active once again.

9.3X62AL
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Thoughts and prayers outbound to all of you having a rough winter. I have no complaints, and am thankful for that.

Bret4207
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
It was after the rotary cuff surgery.
What happened was, I was in the bathroom after a shower and started coughing. I set on the john until it passed, at least i thought it had passed.
Got up and took a few steps into the living room, when I started coughing
all over again. Then everything went dark, I think I hit the back of the couch and bounced off and then hit my back on the corner of the bookcase.

OUCH! Well, at least you weren't on a ladder or at the top of the stairs or something.

Ha! Yup, that's me, always looking at the bright side......:roll:

Alchemist
02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
My snowblower is still "summerized" from last spring! I'm not planning on using it at all this winter. [smilie=w:

After the last 2 winters of heavy snow from early Dec to late Mar, I don't even miss that white stuff one bit!

Hope things shape up soon for you Hickory. Hang in there, spring is nearly here.