PDA

View Full Version : paul mathews books?

02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Which is your favorite of the paul mathews books?

I want to learn casting, the 45 70, and the BPCR.

geargnasher
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Don't forget to read Harry Pope's books and of course Mike Venturino's book on BPCR.

Gear

02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks I have Mike Venturino's book on BPCR.

Just looking for the next step???

Bret4207
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
I like his "40 years with the 45-70". It's more of a story than an instruction book. His stuff tends to lean heavily to the BPCR side of things with lead/tin alloys and black powder, more so than the tertiary alloys, gas checks and smokeless.

Ned Roberts books are also must haves AFAIC, and so are JR Matterns and Naramores. Matterns books is amazing.

EDK
02-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Get all of them! I managed to offend someone by calling Mr. Matthews one of the pioneers of BPCR shooting but saying that some of his information might be dated. Even if there is more recent information, his work still provides a solid base to work from. THE PAPER JACKET has been re-printed, but was going for $60 before the new ones came out...keep a spare of this one.

You also need Mike Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST, Randolph Wright's SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNERS GUIDE...which has a lot of good information that applies to grease groove bullets also...and the SPG RELOADING PRIMER.

Besides the books, start being a regular at shilohrifle.com/forums and BPCR.com, as well as here. Lead Pot and Powderburnerr are two of the most knowledgable I know...and more than willing to share that hard earned knowledge. Orville (Loomer) over at shiloh is another fountain of information. It's a big part of my week at the Quigley shoot to see those three and see what they've come up with.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1: