PDA

View Full Version : Surplus .22 LR Ammo

Blacksmith
02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
The CMP has listed .22 LR government surplus ammo for sale at very good prices. They do not expect this ammo to be available long because the quanity is limited. The Chief Operating Officer said he expected it to be sold out before March 7.

The price per 5,000 round case is:
For Individuals $90 + $25 S&H
For affiliated Clubs $65 + $25 S&H
US Citizens only

Here is the direct link:
https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=4S22RSURP-5000&item=&sfv=&cat=AMS&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

If that doesn't work here is the CMP home page then click on Sales:
http://www.odcmp.com/

Ickisrulz
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
That would be awesome if the ammo wasn't Remington. In my experience, their .22LR has more duds that any other brand I've used.

felix
02-27-2012, 12:58 PM
No, brand makes no difference. Odds are very good that the misfires are due to the priming mix not being uniform around the perimeter. Back in '85 I took delivery of 10K rounds of T22, the most accurate stuff available that was not Eley. Had to rotate a misfired round 180 to make it fire. Produced one hole groups at 50 feet with a Mod 52 or equivalent. Just had to have extreme patience. I have 5 cartons left. ... felix

Ickisrulz
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
No, brand makes no difference. Odds are very good that the misfires are due to the priming mix not being uniform around the perimeter. Back in '85 I took delivery of 10K rounds of T22, the most accurate stuff available that was not Eley. Had to rotate a misfired round 180 to make it fire. Produced one hole groups at 50 feet with a Mod 52 or equivalent. Just had to have extreme patience. I have 5 cartons left. ... felix

I have to disagree. I have used countless boxes of Federal and have at the most 2 duds in a box of 550. Many times I have no problems. I just burned through 500 Blazers and not a single problem. I have used carton after carton of SK and have never had a problem. Never a problem with the Wolf Standard or MiniMags either.

Last box of Remington I used gave me fits...as did those before it over the years. I guess they cannot get their priming mix uniform the way others can.

Oh...I find Winchester 22LR bulk a challenge to use also. It's been that way almost as long as I can remember. Every once in a while I try it...then realize i shouldn't have.

Longwood
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
That would be awesome if the ammo wasn't Remington. In my experience, their .22LR has more duds that any other brand I've used.

I find a lot of 22 duds where I shoot.
I load them and shoot them.

GT27
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I find a lot of 22 duds where I shoot.
I load them and shoot them.

I did the same thing at my local range one time and got a boolit stuck in the barrel,that sound isn't mistakable ppfffsssssssttt!!!:twisted: Never again!!!:popcorn:

leadman
02-27-2012, 01:58 PM
My recent experience with Remington is the same. Many misfires and accuracy is not very good. This used to be the load my Remingtom LH 581 prefered, but not now. I've owned this rifle for over 40 years and it has shot great with the Remington until about 5 years ago.

With CCI HV HP the accuracy is great and no misfires. Even the Stingers shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards or so.

cattleskinner
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Makes no difference at this point, I just got on the cmp site and they are already sold out.

montana_charlie
02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Doesn't matter what you think about the Remington, it's SOLD OUT, anyway.

Blacksmith
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh well that didn't last long at that price.

jcwit
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Time to go to the range then and look for someone elses dud's to shoot!

Ickisrulz
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Time to go to the range then and look for someone elses dud's to shoot!

Just look for the guys shooting Remingtons!

JeffinNZ
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Talk about splitting hairs. At THAT price who cares if you get a few duds?

Come buy ammo in my neck of the woods and see how much it is.

Ickisrulz
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Talk about splitting hairs. At THAT price who cares if you get a few duds?

In my experience it's more than just a few duds. I'll pay more for a proven performer. I can't stand ammo that doesn't work.

firefly1957
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
In 2000 I bought a large box 525 of Remington hollow points and from the rifle or pistol they fired okay every now and then you could hear on was a bit low (quieter). But in the revolver I had several stick in the barrel I contacted Remington and was very disappointed by the guy who responded. I was not asking for and stated I was shooting them out of semi auto pistol or rifle only but he whined if I though something was wrong I should send them back.....All I wanted to do was give them the codes from the box and he would not take it!
Any way other club members started having problems and we all quit buying Remington and that was 12 years ago. I have bought on box since it was all that was available during the shortage none have given me a problem.

Blacksmith
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
The head of CMP posted that they sold 4,000 cases in three days. Thats 20,000,000 rounds!
He also said they expected more surplus ammo but would not say what kind untill they had it in hand. You may want to keep an eye on their web site.

Lee
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Blacksmith, good info!

3006guns
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I have a real problem with Remington.......some years ago I bought 5000 rounds of the stuff on sale at a local hardware store and had problems immediately. No duds, but every case rim expanded so badly that the extractor in my Remington 514 would simply ride over the blown out "hump", leaving a case stuck in the chamber.

I actually pulled the bolt apart to see if the extractor was bent, damaged, etc. Nope.....it was the ammo. Just plain thin brass and the pressure was ballooning the cases. I generously let my ex wife have it when we parted company.

beagle
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
felix....I'm wondering if this isn't some of the old "white box Remington. I picked up several hundred rounds at the range 3 or 4 years ago and the darn stuff was hard to chamber/wouldn't chamber so I pulled the bullets and added the lead to the pot.

Some of the standard velocity stuff is really accurate. We had about 40K rounds of Peters standard velocity once back in the 60s that shot right with Eley and Remington Rifle Match. That was back in my smallbore days./beagle