PDA

View Full Version : Nose Band ?

lead chucker
02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
What can any one here tell me about a nose band on a bullet and what the benefit is. This is for the 311299 , 308 win. I think the nose on my bullet casts a little small I can slip the nose of the bullet down the end of the barrel till it reaches the driving band. Am I supposed to be able to do that. Any info on this would be most helpful.

geargnasher
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
What you have there is called a "bore riding" design. The nose has a parallel section that's supposed to cast right at bore diameter so it can "ride" the lands. The first band is usually engineered so that it fills the throat and touches the ball seat of the throat. The first band, as all the remaining ones, usually is slightly smaller than the intended sized diameter so as to fit the taper of the ball seat and allow the boolit to be seated farther into the rifling yet not below the base of the case neck. Consider it a "transition band".

Gear

Marlin Junky
02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
"...I can slip the nose of the bullet down the end of the barrel till it reaches the driving band. Am I supposed to be able to do that. Any info on this would be most helpful."

I'm getting better results when my boolit noses are approx. .001" over bore diameter. Any larger and you'll risk pulling your boolit if you should open your action on a loaded, chambered round.

MJ

lead chucker
02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Ok so if a guy had the nose band lengthened would he be able to seat the bullet deeper in the case. If I seat my boolets too far out they won't feed from the magazine. Any suggestions.

stubshaft
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Seating deeper in the case is not a problem unless the GC drops below the shoulder junction.

runfiverun
02-27-2012, 02:44 AM
you want the nose to lightly engrave in the lands of the bbl.
it holds things straight between the chamber and the bbl.
it also steers the boolit into the bbl straight.
i like the front drive band to be out as far as possible touching if possible, engraving/scuffing slightly is even better.
i'd say if you need to do anything you need to open the nose of the mold.

lead chucker
02-27-2012, 02:54 AM
you want the nose to lightly engrave in the lands of the bbl.
it holds things straight between the chamber and the bbl.
it also steers the boolit into the bbl straight.
i like the front drive band to be out as far as possible touching if possible, engraving/scuffing slightly is even better.
i'd say if you need to do anything you need to open the nose of the mold.

When I put the bullet in the end of the barrel the nose drops in and there is a real small amount of wiggle. I'm thinking the nose is under sized it mics at around .299

lead chucker
02-27-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't want to have to seat the bullet so far out because it wont feed out of the magazine. What can a guy do I have one driving band exposed and it won't feed reliably. I want this bullet to be accurate. The guns is real accurate with j bullets. So I know the gun is capable.can a guy put a driving band out towards the nose where it would engrave the rifling sooner thus having the bullet seated deeper in the case?

geargnasher
02-27-2012, 04:03 AM
I think your gun needs a different boolit, one with a shorter, fatter nose (not so much bore-riding part and more throat-diameter part) that will allow a shorter COAL for the magazine yet fill the throat and engrave slightly on chambering.

Gear

leftiye
02-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Ditto what gear said. If your boolit protrudes way far out, you could have a nother front band cut into the bore riding part. Or you could have the existing one cut wider, and crimp into the middle of it with a Lee factory crimper. Or, you could just crimp over the front of the existing front band. If you do any further band cutting, make the band cast the same size of your freebore if there is any (cast the chamber), and while you're at it make the nose fit tight in the bore. As was said, another mold might be easier, maybe a mold to your specs through Mountain Molds.

44magLeo
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
What I might try is "Leementing" your mold. This should open up the mold some to make the boolit bigger. It may take awhile with a cast iron mold.
Leo

runfiverun
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
i'd try shooting a couple first.
i know larry's 311284 mold has an undersized nose but he still keeps groups in the one inch area.
if i had a 299 nose i would lap it out and not even think about it.
you can take a thousandth out of a steel mold in no time at all.
you should be able to do it in an afternoon including pouring new laps as you get bigger.