PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Laser Thermometer

dbarnhart
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I bought one of those laser-remote-thermometers the other day and today while casting took some interesting measurements:

- Temperature od hotplate set to medium: 600 degrees

- Temperature of brass mold after sitting on hot plate for 20 minutes and removed for measurement: 200 degrees

- Temperature of sprue plate attached to mold (sprue plate is closed while mold is sitting on hot plate. mold removed and sprue plate opened for this measurement): 350 degrees.

geargnasher
02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
IR thermometers are very finicky when it comes to the surface you're testing, and the results can be wildly inaccurate. Shiny is bad, rubber is bad. Cast iron is about the best surface to measure accurately. A contact probe is the best way to go if you want to know what your temps REALLY are.

Gear

Blammer
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Hmm wonder how hot the grill is?

(point it at the grill)

Hmm wonder how hot the table is?

(point it at the table)

Hmm wonder how hot my wife is?

(point at wife)

hmm wonder how hot that chick is?

and then the fight started.

Blammer
02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't think I'll get one of them thermometers....

dbarnhart
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
>> hmm wonder how hot that chick is? <<

My wife has the same problem with those Stud Finder gizmos. It points to every guy except me.

geargnasher
02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I just blew Dr. Pepper all over my computer before ROFLMAO, THANKS!!! "stud finder" . yeaahhhh.

Gear

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Want some real fun with the laser pointer thingy? Point the floor in front of your dog. Mine will chase the red dot for hours

uscra112
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Want some real fun with the laser pointer thingy? Point the floor in front of your dog. Mine will chase the red dot for hours

Highest and best use of one of those things.

I'm too tired to resurrect my tirade on how wildly inaccurate they are.

Still laughing about the stud finder . . . . . .

Phil