PDA

View Full Version : Things You Want To Try

Good Cheer
02-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Saturday I was waiting on the job, waiting on stuff to get ready. While suffering the agony of thumb twiddling I popped open the 'pooter and made a list of the cast boolit projects currently between my ears. Stopped at three dozen. Guess that means I need to be GTT.

HollowPoint
02-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I call it my, "Future Projects" list; sort of a "Bucket List."
With the exception of a couple on this list, most will be applied to my cast boolits hobby in one way
or another.

Future Projects:

(1) Bullet Tips Mold DONE

(2) Hand Crank Can Stripper for gas checks

(3) Hummer H1 Bow Kit DONE

(4) Tee-Tap Tool Version 1.0 prototype completed

(5) Soft-Pointing Tool---Need to finish version 5. Versions 1 through 4 are working prototypes already.

(6) Puma M92 Scope Mounts DONE

(7) Ballistic Catchers Mitt

(8) Boat Tailed Gas Check Dies I'm working on this right now.

(9) 17 UFH Wildcat Cartridge

(10) New Air Rifle Power Plant

(11) Custom Bullet Molds--30, 44, 45, 32 caliber

(12) ATC for 770 CNC Mill

(13) Enfield Billet Scope Mounts DONE

(14) Enfield Bolt Head CAD drawings are done

(14) In Home Gas Check Factory/Machine

HollowPoint

W.R.Buchanan
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I currently have 4 gunbuilding projects going.

I have several gun product projects going but stalled due to work in the shop, but a total of 1.5 legal sized pages of things to do.

And I have my Jeep project which has been dragging along way too slowly. 6 pages of things to do. It should have been done 2 years ago!

Making lists is the best way to keep everything from getting lost. I have used them daily for the last 25 years.

Keeping things on your list is the best way to stay alive there is.

Randy

geargnasher
02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
If I retired today and lived to be 80 I'm quite certain I would never be bored for a second.

Gear

DIRT Farmer
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
I git retired before I was ready, that cheepened up my to do list but between trying to figure out how to get rusty bores to shoot, getting fences to where cattle stay home, and bring my junk equipment up to speed, I want to shoot more compation. My Dad made the championship flight on the Quail Walk at Friendship when he was almost 80, I should have several good years left.

375RUGER
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
If I retired today and lived to be 80 I'm quite certain I would never be bored for a second.
Gear

I know what you mean. I don't understand when I hear someone say "I can't retire, I wouldn't have anything to do". or "I couldn't do- THIS OR THAT- all the time, I'd get bored" but they've been doing the same job for 20 or 30 years.

I would not have that problem, even if I keep only my current interests and don't add any new ones. :Fire:never gets boring

HollowPoint
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I wish I could retire. Then I could add more projects to my list and know that I'd have the time to finish them.

As it is I have to work on them as time permits and there never seems to be enough time.

When I finally come to the end of my days on this earth, I'm wondering if there's a way I can take my tools and machinery with me. I'll have plenty of free time then.

HollowPoint

Doc Highwall
02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I made a folder called Gun Projects.

Everytime I see something here or on another web site that has a picture of something that looks good, I download it into a sub file named for that idea.

arjacobson
02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I have been working on a auto feeder for a 2 ton obi bench punch press for making gaschecks.. Basically get the coil slit to size and fire her up... It will/would work with a gang die that punches 3-4 out at one time..feeds the coil-punches again-feeds coil-etcetc.

John Taylor
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Retire? I was tired yesterday and I am tired today, that's retired. Mortgage company says I have to work till I'm 90, I got a ways to go yet.
Project still in the thoughts is a 70-150 built on an 1897 Win. with a full length mag tube. A harmonica gun that is started but still has a long way to go.

theperfessor
02-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I've got several ongoing projects. If I could reliably make $150 a day making reloading equipment and accessories the place I currently work would just be an image in my rear view mirror. As it is I just don't have time for everything.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I have been working on a auto feeder for a 2 ton obi bench punch press for making gaschecks.. Basically get the coil slit to size and fire her up... It will/would work with a gang die that punches 3-4 out at one time..feeds the coil-punches again-feeds coil-etcetc.

You and I must have been separated at birth.
We both made check makers, and I have been rolling my marbles around thinking about making a automated punch press as well. [smilie=6:

arjacobson
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Jim do a search on a 2 ton obi punch press. Cute as a button. Years ago I ran punch presses and unfortunately got to thinking!![smilie=b::D

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Years ago, I worked in a factory that had a pile of punch presses, making cups for dental mirrors.
Not much too them except weight. A checkmaker wouldn't require a very big banger :D
We also had a row of B&S screw machines to keep running, cool to watch until they screwed up, then the thinking cap came out!

Montana Gold Bullets is just down the road from me, Norm used to have a whole row of old swaging an jacketing presses out front
that he didn't use any more, you could go into production. I doubt, with scrap iron prices way up, if they are still there.

arjacobson
03-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Those old screw machines would crank out parts. The place I worked at had 6 spindle chuckers. All you had to do was load material and the parts would fly out of those machines... Sounds to me like you will have to pick up some of those machines laying around!!!

Harter66
03-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Mines a pretty short list.
59'Ranchero rebuild(its followed me around 20yr)
Build/crew something very fast,record book fast.
35 cal rifle to handle a 380"AR" on to at least 357 Max.companion revolver to 357mag.
40 cal companion rifle/revolver, 10x40 eg.
45 cal rifle to handle Colt rimmed cases from "GAP"to 460 S&W/Mongo w/a Casaull class revolver.
Lastly the other guys tool set meaning .........well you know.

HollowPoint
03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry Harter66:

I think I've figured out a way to take it all with me.

If you ever come across a funeral procession and the Hurst is towing U-haul trailer behind it; that would be me. (and my tools)

HollowPoint

EMC45
03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I have a hand written list of "gun stuff" that I want to do. I have gotten some of them knocked out. Still working on others.

1Shirt
03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
To many women, to many guns, to little time, but ya gotta keep working at it!
1Shirt!

Katya Mullethov
03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
You know how to tell the guys in the over 40 class ? They park on a hill so they dont have to kick start their bikes .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3g-faK460
I would seriously like to try this one . What's the worst that could happen ? You're wearin' gloves and knee pads , right ?

Artful
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't even want to put my list down - much less know what's on the wife's list for me to do.

Starting over after RIF'd by Verizon so learning Garage door repair is now at the top of the list(s)
and wife had purchased all new kitchen cabinets so demo'd the old kitchen last weekend and working on moving electric boxes and getting everything installed so we have a kitchen and not a house of boxes (like living in hogwarts, want to go to laundry room move boxes but that closes path you made to the bathroom!)

leeggen
05-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Forced retired by accident. was working maint. at small factory and working small farm at home start 5:30AM eat supper at 9:00 Pm . now don't know how I did it. Down size farm and still to busy to think of list.
BUT I DO NOW ENJOY LIFE!!!!!
CD

jmorris
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
The problem with my list is the order. Have some "cool" projects that have been around forever (like the twin turbocharged FF Cobra) but stuff like concrete or bullet trap pass it by.

bhop
06-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Those old screw machines would crank out parts. The place I worked at had 6 spindle chuckers. All you had to do was load material and the parts would fly out of those machines... Sounds to me like you will have to pick up some of those machines laying around!!!
I rebuilt a OG and a 2g took them to bare castings and back. Incredible machines! Once I got both back online they laid me off lol

bob208
06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
i was put on this earth to compleat so many things. i am so far behind i can never die.

i have three small bore .32- 36 cal. muzzleloaders that need the bores freshed out.

three remington r.b. actions i want to barrel. after i finish my rifling machine

i have a colt saa clone in.45 that shoots a foot to the left at 25 yds. have to clock the barrel in a little. after i finish my new barrel vice.

got 2 broomhandle mausers i have to reline

got a low wall with rusted out bore i want to reline to .25-20

want to build a billinghurst underhammer from scrach.

non shooting have to put up a new chimney before winter.
rebuild my corvette then my tr6 then my trucks.
got to get my surface grinder back together.
and there is more. i am retired now.