PDA

View Full Version : Going cruising to Mexico

Tom-ADC
02-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Leaving Friday so my friend sends me this? My brother is coming in to house sit the house and dog he cracked up when he read it.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/24/10500812-22-carnival-cruise-passengers-robbed-at-gunpoint-on-ship-sponsored-tour-in-mexico#.T0kMf1HmTOI.mailto

canyon-ghost
02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Americans are being warned to stay out of Mexico. It's the wrong place to go.

Trey45
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Americans are being warned to stay out of Mexico. It's the wrong place to go.

That's what I've been hearing too. I'd rather spend my vacation dollars in the USA anyhow.

Tom-ADC
02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
We are going with 26 others mostly our RV group, I doubt I'll even leave the ship, & if we do not far from it. The city where this took place was said to be safe for americans, probably won't be able to say that now.

Moondawg
02-25-2012, 04:16 PM
In Mexico, guns are outlawed, so only the outlaws carry guns, and they are fully automatic ones at that.

stubshaft
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
We are going with 26 others mostly our RV group, I doubt I'll even leave the ship, & if we do not far from it. The city where this took place was said to be safe for americans, probably won't be able to say that now.

They said that about Aculpulco and the last time I was there they had armed guards surrounding the resort.

jcwit
02-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Really sounds like where I'd like to go.

How bout someplace safe, downtown L.A.

NSP64
02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for posting Tom-ADC. We were looking at cruises to Mexico also. Maybe not now.
Are you still going?
We may just decide to vacation someplace in the US instead.

DLCTEX
02-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Do not take even empty brass into Mexico. My nephew's FIL remembered he had some 22 ammo in the glove box and voluntarily surrendered it to the Mexico authorities at the border. It cost $5000 and hours of hassel and threats of prison for he and his wife. The authorities are corrupt and extort money at every opportunity and is common practice.

waksupi
02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
May I suggest British Columbia and Alberta? Safe place to travel, and beautiful.

starmac
02-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Alberta is hard to get to on a cruise though. lol

Tom-ADC
02-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks for posting Tom-ADC. We were looking at cruises to Mexico also. Maybe not now.
Are you still going?
We may just decide to vacation someplace in the US instead.

Yep we are still going, we are part of a large group 26 others so we plan our own party on board.
If you haven't tried Alaska I highly recommend it.

Fishman
02-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Even if somebody was paying me to go on a cruise in Mexico, I'd find something else to do.

Pb2au
02-26-2012, 12:19 AM
I travel quite a bit through Mexico for my job. It is a beautiful place, but right now it is not a place for vacation. It is an eye opener when truckloads of soldiers roll the city, in the middle of the day.
Never trust the local police. They will rob you. This is no joke. Right now Mexico is not a vacation place. Period.

starmac
02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
It appears, that staying in large groups don't always work on the cruises either.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/26/world/mexico-cruise-robbery/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Tom-ADC
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
It appears, that staying in large groups don't always work on the cruises either.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/26/world/mexico-cruise-robbery/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

That's the same thing I posted just a different news source.
I'm wondering if the ship we are taking will stop there or by-pass it? The cruise line can change port of calls at their discretion.
We don't plan on getting very far from the ship if at all.

Longwood
02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Whats new?
They have been robbing busloads of people for years and years and years,,,,
They have been robing tourists for years and years and years.,,,,
The police have been corrupt and stealing too make a decent living for years and years and years,,,,
I do not understand why Americans want to support a country that is doing everyting possible to ruin ours.

Sonnypie
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
And...
It is only going to get worse.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Even if it calls for holding up "a modern day stage coach."

I have to wonder how dead the bandido's would be if it was a bunch of armed citizens they tried to rob?
I Chihuahua!:shock:

Good luck on your trip! ;)

runfiverun
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
brings a whole new/old meaning to calling "shotgun".
they don't want you to bring guns in cause they already got enough. [of them from the government]

Charley
02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
The Yucatan is fairly safe, no travel alerts/warnings there. I wouldn't leave the ship on Mexico's west coast, though.

ErikO
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
You can cruise from Key West to San Juan, PR. Don't even need your passport.

Thin Man
02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Tourists have been a cash crop in Mexico for many years. About 20 or more years ago, a guy I know won a vacation trip to Mexico from his employer. Employees could bring their spouse. All together there were about 60 people who went on this vacation. Can't remember the area of the country but it was claimed to be rural, beautiful and tame. After everyone got settled in the various activities were announced. One of these was a horseback ride through the local area. (Sound similar to the "nature tour" that started this thread??) Off they went, through the hills and valleys, into a tree-covered pass between hills where a group of armed men (no masks) stopped the riders and demanded their valuables. The guy I know on this trip was there with his blonde wife, a very attractive gal. One of the bandits walked up to her and gave her a close look-over. He then ran his hand into her pants and took hold of her crotch, then removed his hand from her pants. The gal was about to faint, and her husband was boiling but was out-gunned and out-numbered and held his ground. As quick as it started it was over as the bandits evaporated into the hills. None of the tourists were hurt. Mysteriously, their tour guide and his horse were also gone. The crowd made their way back to the hotel, packed and left for the U.S. immediately. Ever since then my friend and his family have nothing good to say about Mexico, or anyone from there.

Thin Man

filric48
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I have a Timeshare in Los Cabos and Cancun I can't get the wife to go anymore, does anyone want to buy it. I heard Carnival Cruise Lines stopped allot of there excursions because a bus load fo tourist got robbed.

Beerd
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
"The robbery comes two weeks after the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning to Americans to avoid all but essential travel to all or parts of 14 Mexican states, including the state of Jalisco. Puerto Vallarta is the sixth-largest city in Jalisco." .... CNN

Kind of like avoiding Yosemite because someone was mugged in L.A.

Enjoy your cruise Tom.

10x
03-13-2012, 08:48 AM
In Mexico, guns are outlawed, so only the outlaws carry guns, and they are fully automatic ones at that.

And some of them are supplied by F.B.I. Gun runners - see operation Fast and Furious - Eric Holder was the ramrod....

Tom-ADC
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Got back sunday had a great time, didn't wander to far from the ship, but we did get some shopping for the grandkids in.
Was told the people that got robbed booked their own tour and didn't go thru the cruise line, the bus driver and tour guide did not get robbed.:guntootsmiley:

Char-Gar
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
There is no place in Mexico that is safe. There are just places where folks are killed, kidnapped and robbed on a daily basis, and places where they will be killed, kidnapped and robbed at some point in the near future. You don't want to be the trend setter in one of the "safe" places.

You can't count on anybody to protect you in Mexico. The cops, security guards, and army are all corrupt and often are the evil doers themselves. America can't protect you, so you are on your own in a violent and corrupt country. I would just as soon vacation in Afganistan.

Tom-ADC
03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Char=Gar have to agree, that was the reason we didn't venture to far from the ship.
But we did have a good time on the ship.
My bride of 48 1/2 years & myself second senior dress up night.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/401573053.jpg

NSP64
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Tom, you must have robbed the craddle, she dont look old enough to be married that long.
Glad everything turned out ok.
Welcome home.

Tom-ADC
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Elaine, just read your post, I think she likes you..:kidding:

MT Gianni
03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Glad that you had a safe, fun trip.

Longwood
03-15-2012, 01:11 AM
The news lady just said 120 Americans were murdered in Mexico in 2011. Four times as many in any year previous,

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd rather go to Hawaii!

Tom-ADC
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I'd rather go to Hawaii!

If only the airfare would get down some, we can stay at the Hale Koa cheap enough but the airfare kills us. May have to try space a..

MT Gianni
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
The news lady just said 120 Americans were murdered in Mexico in 2011. Four times as many in any year previous,

It makes you wonder what the numbers were for New York City with the Sullivan act intact?

Char-Gar
03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
The 120 numbers is just those folks that are known dead and whose bodies have been recovered. There are thousands more Americans citizens who have disappeared into he black hole of Mexico in the past couple of years.

The numbers of Mexicans killed or missing during the same period of time is staggering, truly staggering.

I live just three miles from the Rio Grande River and teach just a few yards from Matamoros Mexico. I can tell you than nobody, who goes accross the river anymore, if they don't have too. Tourism is totaly dead.