PDA

View Full Version : lube in the crimp groove?

Quigley_up_Over
02-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Not to ask a really "stoopid" boolit question, but when I am lube/sizing a bullet with both a grease groove and a crimp groove, how do I keep the lube out of the crimp groove? Thanks.

jlchucker
02-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't worry about it. If your bullet is seated to the forward edge of the crimp groove, then the lube will be down inside the neck of the case just like the lube in the other grooves. I don't intentionally grease up the crimp groove, but if it happens, it happens. Am I missing something here?

RevGeo
02-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't think you're missing anything here, jlchucker. I usually lube my cast bullets using the pan method, rather than in a resizer, and the alox gets into all the grooves without causing any apparant problems.

George

williamwaco
02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
If you are using a non-Star lubrisizer.

They all have an adjustment nut to stop the downward movement of the bullet. Find and adjust this "stop nut" to prevent the bullet from going down that far.

Echo
02-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't sweat it...

Reload3006
02-25-2012, 02:08 PM
personally I do it on purpose. some times it helps but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Wayne Smith
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Some of us recognize the letters "OCD", some of us practice them.

beagle
02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
William's right. That's why there's an ajustment stop on your sizer./beagle

Sonnypie
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't worry about it. If your bullet is seated to the forward edge of the crimp groove, then the lube will be down inside the neck of the case just like the lube in the other grooves. I don't intentionally grease up the crimp groove, but if it happens, it happens. Am I missing something here?

I'd say you are probably only missing a tiny amount of lube.
I fill all my gloob grooves.
But I don't crimp either. Especially cast bullets.
Why deform them if you don't have to?

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
i just push them deeper in the star.
and not as deep in the non star.
sometimes lube smearing up on the boolit indicates it is smaller than the sizer you are trying to size it in.

C.F.Plinker
02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Some of us recognize the letters "OCD", some of us practice them.

And some are concerned because they are not in alphabetical order.

geargnasher
02-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Actually, if you're using a medium-to-heavy roll crimp with magnum revolver loads and there's any lube in the groove, the hydraulic pressure of the lube trapped under the case mouth will create a bulge ring behind the crimp. I make sure all my revolver and levergun boolits have clean crimp grooves. This isn't OCD, it can be a very real problem.

Williamwaco and Runfiverun explained the fixes depending on your sizer.

Gear

Cadillo
02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Not to ask a really "stoopid" boolit question, but when I am lube/sizing a bullet with both a grease groove and a crimp groove, how do I keep the lube out of the crimp groove? Thanks.

What lube sizer you are using?

Shiloh
02-28-2012, 12:51 AM
If a Lyman lubrisizer, adjust the screw underr the die so it only fills the lube grooves.
As others have stated, no big deal.

Shiloh

stubshaft
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
If a Lyman lubrisizer, adjust the screw underr the die so it only fills the lube grooves.
As others have stated, no big deal.

Shiloh

After you adjust the stop screw check to insure that the boolit is being sized all of thew way. I've had some H&I dies that had a taper on the top and were not sizing the entire boolit. If you have this problem you make have to plug some of the holes in the sizer with lead shot and push the boolit deeper into the sizing die.

Shiloh
02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
After you adjust the stop screw check to insure that the boolit is being sized all of thew way. I've had some H&I dies that had a taper on the top and were not sizing the entire boolit. If you have this problem you make have to plug some of the holes in the sizer with lead shot and push the boolit deeper into the sizing die.

You know stub, thats a really good Idea. I have been able to adjust all the depth out,
but some of my dies have more holes that the others.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
And some are concerned because they are not in alphabetical order.

Funny:smile:
And I try to keep the lube out of the crimp groove if lubesizing so that the loaded round doesn't have exposed lube.

SlippShodd
03-01-2012, 01:43 AM
I temporarily beagled my .45 Colt mould to drop some oversized bullets for 45-70 plinking. When I ran them through my (RCBS) lubrisizer with the .458 die in it, I ran out of adjustment trying to keep lube out of the crimp groove. I decided to live with it and just wipe the lube out of the groove. I reasoned that the (Lyman) die was designed with a longer bullet in mind. Was my reasoning unreasonable?

mike