PDA

View Full Version : question on 311410 mold and 7.62x39

James
03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Been lurking around here for a while and up untill now have been able to find answers to all my questions. But search results hav'nt turned up any help so, my first question.

Whith the 311410 mold what diameter should I expect it to cast? The reason I'm asking is that I thought I've read posts where some have had boolits cast at .312+ mine are only .310. I want to load these in the 7.62x39 for my sks. My mix is mostly WW with some lino and there may still be a small amount of soft lead in there(left over from casting some fishing jigs). Do I need to dump this out and use a WW lino mix? If so what ratio? 5:1? Is it too much to expect .312- .313 with this mold?
Thanks much, this is a great site
James

jhalcott
03-19-2007, 10:02 PM
that 170 grain bullet sounds heavy for the SKS. What does your bore measure?
Linotype SHOULD drop a fatter bullet. read the "BEAGLING A MOLD" article to see how to get a fatter bullet.

James
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
that 170 grain bullet sounds heavy for the SKS. What does your bore measure?
Linotype SHOULD drop a fatter bullet. read the "BEAGLING A MOLD" article to see how to get a fatter bullet.

170gr.? no it's 130gr.

Buckshot
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
................Hi James and welcome to the board. That boolit you're talking about, the 311410 is a 130gr plain base. That's one of the fist moulds I ever bought. SLugs from it (depending upon alloy) will drop at almost .314". I bought it because they showed it as useable for the M1 carbine.

I have a small ring Mauser chambered in 30 Rooski Shortski (.300x.308"barrel) and it shoots those slugs very well. However I only load them over 7.0grs of Red Dot. Very accurate, light recoil and no mucking about with GC's or lube sizers. I just used Lee TL and then send them up through a .309" push through die.

As a plain base, I don't think you will have much luck with it in the SKS unless loaded down. You might be able to reach 1600 fps or so.

.................Buckshot

James
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
As a plain base, I don't think you will have much luck with it in the SKS unless loaded down. You might be able to reach 1600 fps or so.

.................Buckshot
Yup, not looking for much.
James

jhalcott
03-20-2007, 02:48 AM
OOPS! read that as a 31141 that I just got. sorry!

Leftoverdj
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
James, it's common for moulds of the same number to vary. My 311410 casts .313+ from a mostly WW mix. You might want to recheck your measurements, especially if you took them with calipers. You might really have a mould that casts as small as .310, but the odds are against it.

Other than the mould, there are other factors that affect bullet size. Use of a spray graphite mould release can reduce bullet diameter as much as .002. Casting too hot can reduce diameter another thou. An alloy low in in antimony will reduce size a bit.

If none of the above applies, read the sticky on "beagling". It'll give you a simple method of increasing the size a mould casts.

James
03-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will try again with WW and lino type. I've seen a 5:1 ratio mentioned as a starting point. For what I'm doing should I use this ratio or should I add more lino type? What kind of thermometer do you need to measure temps. of melted lead?
Thanks, James

Buckshot
03-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will try again with WW and lino type. I've seen a 5:1 ratio mentioned as a starting point. For what I'm doing should I use this ratio or should I add more lino type? What kind of thermometer do you need to measure temps. of melted lead?
Thanks, James

................Adding more lino will fatten it up some. As Leftoverdj suggested, if you used dial guesstimaters to check that slug, you might wanna check THEM, too.

For a thermometer you can get the Lyman. Or, if you're really really tough, just use your finger:-)

................Buckshot

James
03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
well then. looks like it's time to go shopping at Midway.
Thanks again, James