PDA

View Full Version : Help, I am addicteded to melting lead.

letsmeltlead2693
02-24-2012, 10:26 PM
I am addicted to melting lead, it is the only thing I really talk about or think about. What should I do? I will keep melting, but need help on what to do.

stubshaft
02-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Start casting and when you have enough of one type of boolit melt them down and cast another. Your looking for redemption in the wrong place, it's like an alky going into a bar and asking the patrons how to stop drinking.

If you read the post prior to melting lead, you should have taken note that we ALL are leadaddicts.

Blacksmith
02-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Become an expert. Study the metalurgy of lead and lead alloys. Go to the library and ask them to find a copy of ASM Metals Handbook Volume 2 for interlibrary loan and have them get a copy you can borrow. After you have read the appilicable sections highlighted below look at the references in each section and have the library help you to locate copies of those and read them. That will point you in the right direction.

ASM Metals Handbook Volume 2 Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials
Here is part of the table of contents:
Specific Metals and Alloys
Introduction to Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys
Alloy and Temper Designation Systems for Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys
Aluminum Mill and Engineered Wrought Products
Properties of Wrought Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys
Aluminum Foundry Products
Properties of Cast Aluminum Alloys
Aluminum-Lithium Alloys
High-Strength Aluminum Powder Metallurgy Alloys
Introduction to Copper and Copper Alloys
Wrought Copper and Copper Alloy Products
Properties of Wrought Coppers and Copper Alloys
Selection and Application of Copper Alloy Castings
Properties of Cast Copper Alloys
Copper Powder Metallurgy Products
Beryllium-Copper and Other Beryllium-Containing Alloys
Nickel and Nickel Alloys
Cobalt and Cobalt Alloys
Selection and Application of Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys
Properties of Magnesium Alloys

Tin and Tin Alloys

Tin Production and Consumption
Tin in Coatings
Pure Tin
Tin in Chemicals
Solders
Pewter
Bearing Alloys
Other Tin-Base Alloys
Other Alloys Containing Tin
References
Selected References Zinc and Zinc Alloys

Lead and Lead Alloys

Lead Processing
Compositions and Grades
Properties of Lead
Products and Applications
Structures
References

Refractory Metals and Alloys
Introduction to Titanium and Titanium Alloys
Wrought Titanium and Titanium Alloys
Titanium and Titanium Alloy Castings
Titanium Powder Metallurgy Products
Zirconium and Hafnium
Uranium and Uranium Alloys
Beryllium
Precious Metals
Properties of Precious Metals
Rare Earth Metals
Germanium and Germanium Compounds
Gallium and Gallium Compounds
Indium and Bismuth

canyon-ghost
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Learn all the famous quotes:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal (a rich man can afford armor, a poor man is equal with a rifle!)- the invention of the lead bullet.

Colt is the original point-and-click interface (the first delete button).

Not scared of my little pea-shooters, are ya?

slide
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
It's alive !!!!! It's alive !!!!!

palmettosunshine
02-24-2012, 11:41 PM
It's only a problem if you can't stop.

letsmeltlead2693
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I melt lead into fishing weights or sinkers. I just can't seem to have enough lead, even though I have over 220 lbs, I always want more, even though lead is hard to find in huge (25+ lbs) quantities at a time. Why is melting lead so addicting and fun?

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
it's shiney.
anyways study the metalurgy like blacksmith suggested, trust me..
you can branch out into lubricants too..
there's a lot of subtle differences happening other than the heat and shine.
there's a whole engineering study just on filling molds without voids. kinda handy information too.

Beagler
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I work with lead at work everyday. Even I can get enough of going out and scrounging around town and in the dumps for lead. I may not shoot up a hole lot but it is fun to stockpile and have stored for later use/bartering. Its really going to be a chore to move all my lead when I move.

stubshaft
02-25-2012, 01:35 AM
I can see the attraction with casting lead soldiers of yesteryear. You take some grungy gray gunk and turn it into shiny silvery art.

melter68
02-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Go buy another gun in a different cal and you can melt some more, think of the saving you are making and have hand cast boolits, perfection:killingpc

colt 357
02-25-2012, 07:15 PM
SORRY I WELL BE NO HELP TO YOU. Hi I am Colt 357 and I cast my own boolits. That reminds me I need to cast some more boolits sombody stop me.
One last question how many plastic peanut butter jar of boolits do I need before I got anuff. Every time I get a new empty jar I need to fill it I just cant leave it set empty.

colt 357
02-25-2012, 07:16 PM
I work with lead at work everyday. Even I can get enough of going out and scrounging around town and in the dumps for lead. I may not shoot up a hole lot but it is fun to stockpile and have stored for later use/bartering. Its really going to be a chore to move all my lead when I move.

I think it would be easier to leave it behind if I could.

mold maker
02-25-2012, 07:29 PM
I moved, and started all over. Still own the other house, and there is over a ton there. Already have well over a ton at the new place, and still looking.
I too have the addition, but I ain't looking for a cure.

GaryN
02-25-2012, 09:48 PM
"I just can't seem to have enough lead, even though I have over 220 lbs"

Umm, you don't have enough lead. Any time you talk about your lead stockpile in lbs. you don't have enough. You need to be able to talk about it in tons.

badbob454
02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I melt lead into fishing weights or sinkers. I just can't seem to have enough lead, even though I have over 220 lbs, I always want more, even though lead is hard to find in huge (25+ lbs) quantities at a time. Why is melting lead so addicting and fun?

because you can shoot em...

Bill*
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
"I just can't seem to have enough lead, even though I have over 220 lbs"

Umm, you don't have enough lead. Any time you talk about your lead stockpile in lbs. you don't have enough. You need to be able to talk about it in tons.

HeHeHeHe :mrgreen:

Ben
02-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I am addicted to melting lead, it is the only thing I really talk about or think about. What should I do? I will keep melting, but need help on what to do.

You initial comments in the 1st post above, remind me of someone showing up at an AA meeting and asking if anyone in the room has ever had a drinking problem before.

Ben

Beagler
02-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I think it would be easier to leave it behind if I could.

Nope it will all go with! All the friends That have moved multiple times over the years are in for a workout!!