PDA

View Full Version : Quick change tool post

Denver
02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I've wanted a quick change tool post for my lathe for some time. Enco's latest flyer has a 200 series (10-15 inch swing) for $215 and change for either the piston type or the wedge type. Normally the wedge type sells for about $100 more, so I assume it's a better value. Problem is, I don't know the diff, so could use some info from someone who does.

Thanks all :castmine::lovebooli

bob208
02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
the wedge type is the best. i have had the piston type pull lose. the wedge can not.

MtGun44
02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
The chinese wedge type quick change kits on eBay are reasonably good. I have been
using one for about a year and it works fine.

Bill

mtnman31
02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm tempted to get one of the eBay specials myself. I currently have a KDK tool post but only have one tool holder. KDK is now out of business (per their website)and a single used KDK tool post on eBay sometimes go for as much as one of the Aloris knockoffs with a half dozen tool holders.

theperfessor
02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a 300 series wedge-type on my 15x50 Clausing, also on our Haas CNC lathes at work. Never had one come loose. First thing I did ten years ago when I got my mill was to mass produce tool holder blocks. Mine are much more solid (quench hardened 4140) than the Enco ones and repeat within .001 consistently. Its nice to be able to set up a standard array of general utility tooling and still have some blocks left for job special tooling.

Never used the piston type.

Denver
02-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info gentlemen and the heads up on Ebay. Some of the sets offered there look to be the same as Enco offerings, but about a $100 less. All made in China no doubt.

dragonrider
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
I use an Aloris AX series on my 13" lathe, piston type. The wedge type is better but the piston type is certainly adequate for the home shop. Been using mine for 25 years or more.

C.F.Plinker
02-25-2012, 09:53 AM
In both types the tool holder slides down over a dovetail until it reaches the preset depth. On the piston type there is a piston in the middle of the dovetail. As you tighten the handle the piston extends and forces the tool holder away from the dovetail until it is stopped by the shoulders of the dovetail.

The wedge type has two piece dovetails. The rear edge is a second piece that can slide up and down as the handle is moved. As it slides down it moves to the rear and tightens against the ears of the slot in the tool holder. Like using two wedges when you set a door frame.

Reload3006
02-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I would rather use a quick change tool holder as opposed to the castle/holder nut and shimming of the square turret holder any day. All I have ever used though has been the wedge type aloris and Do-all copy. I suppose the piston type are ok. I wouldnt know I would buy what ever was the best quality that I could afford as a good tool will last you a life time and is worth its price where as a cheap one that gets thrown against the wall in disgust was a waste of money and time. the ole castle and rocker works but is a PIA still if I were going to settle for second best I would stay with the Castle and rocker until I could afford a good post.

Alstep
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Been using a couple of Enco wedge toolposts for years, no problems. The wedge type are dead nuts repeatable when removed and reinstalled. The piston type are not that repeatable when replaced.

MtGun44
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Mine is a chinese Aloris copy, came with about 6 tool holders, works pretty well. You will
have to mill the holding block to fit your particular lathe. They just give you a block of
steel with a threaded hole in it. No big deal, but no instructions, of course.

Bill

ph4570
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Mine is a chinese Aloris copy, came with about 6 tool holders, works pretty well. You will
have to mill the holding block to fit your particular lathe. They just give you a block of
steel with a threaded hole in it. No big deal, but no instructions, of course.

Bill

That is exactly the path I took for my Atlas 12x36. It took a while to mill the holding block but that is due to using a milling attachment on the lathe rather than a mill.

I sure wish I had gotten the quick change tool holder 25 years ago when I got the lathe. I had been torturing myself with the lantern post holder for the first 24 years.

arjacobson
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I've wanted a quick change tool post for my lathe for some time. Enco's latest flyer has a 200 series (10-15 inch swing) for $215 and change for either the piston type or the wedge type. Normally the wedge type sells for about $100 more, so I assume it's a better value. Problem is, I don't know the diff, so could use some info from someone who does.

Thanks all :castmine::lovebooli

Try cdco tools. Just like enco but much cheaper. In fact they usually have alot of the exact same stuff 20-30% off of what enco charges. I have pretty much tooled up my lathes and mills from this place.