PDA

View Full Version : Found one at the Gunshow.....35 Rem...

Lawyerman
03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I had a table at our local gunshow this weekend. Was mainly trying to get rid of some of my "inherited" guns and had moderate success there.

Anyway I was getting ready to leave when a guy I know somewhat walked up with a rifle he was trying to sell. I could see it was a Remington 760 an older one- vertical grooved foreend old (dates to 1954).....I like the Remington pumps so I asked what caliber- big mistake! He says .35 Remington.....I calmly ask to look at the gun- it is probably in 95% or better condition, bore is excellent....I ask what he wants out of it- $250. Hmm, I offer $225 and he takes it.

Rifle has a Weaver one piece base on it and the original iron sights are present. The stock and foreend are in great shape- no scratches or cracks. Original aluminum buttplate is in place. A sling swivel stud was put in the buttstock and they used a barrel band for the front sling swivel. I hate those dang things. Hanging something on the barrel is no good as far as I am concerned, especially in a rifle that is essentially free floated to begin with. Going to have to find a way to sling it like the later models with the swivel stud in the forrend hanger......

This is going to be a cast bullet pig thumper extrordinaire! Can't wait to get to the range with this one.

onceabull
03-19-2007, 04:59 PM
:-D L'man: Congrats on the great buy. I'm using one similar,and a very late Mdl.7600,& two of the old 141's in 35 remmie. Would have taken up that one ,too,in a NY minute..enjoy,:-D ,onceabull

Lawyerman
03-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I am very fond of the .35 Rem. and the 760 pump guns-put the two together and there was little chance I wasn't adding another rifle to the fold. I have three other 760's including a .35 Rem. that someone had converted to .35 Whelen---long before Remington ever thought about it. My 760's shoot very well and have taken alot of game for me. I also have a 141 in .35 Rem. A neat old rifle, it has killed a hog or two.

bdoyle
04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Last weekend at the Reno gun show I found a early 760 in 35 rem - 1952. It was a suprise because I was actually looking for one. Real nice condition with a williams peep. Blueing is a little worn around the mag well from one hand carry. Shot some lyman 204s over 3031 on Monday and it looks very promising!

Brian

onceabull
04-17-2007, 01:20 PM
:mrgreen: Good on you,Brian..Given what the 35 remmie pumpers have been bringing on GB and AA, I'm thankful I already have some..One of which is from same time frame as yours. You will enjoy !! Onceabull

DLCTEX
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Sounds like a great deal. I had a 760 in 270 in 1961. Took my first two turkeys out the air with it, wasn't really that hard, they were flying straight away. It's legal in Texas BTW. Traded it away for some percieved good deal. Dale

Uncle R.
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Although I've never owned one, I've often thought that the .35 Rem. would be an excellent cast boolit deer hunting cartridge. Adequate projectile weight at velocity levels fast enough for practical 150 or even 200 yard shooting, but slow enough to allow the use of softer (read: expanding) boolits. A cartridge case that's not too big - and rimless to boot! I've been hoping for years to stumble across a 336 in .35 at a bargain price, but here in Wisconsin the .30-30s outnumer the .35s by (apparently) 100-1 or worse. I'm not a big lever-gun fan although I do use 'em sometimes but for some reason I'd never thought of grabbing a 760 instead. Thanks - now there's another item on my "List Of Things To Keep An Eye Out For At Gun Shows."
:roll: