PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold: what does BV or AV mean?

ace1001
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I have one I like, and would like another but some have my number and AV and some BV. What do those mean? Ace

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
ace, two letter codes on Lyman moulds are usually match numbers to keep the blocks together during manufacturing. These match numbers will be separate from the five or six digit mould number. Sometimes there is a suffix letter, part of the mould number, such as 311284U. That is a mould that casts a little smaller than usual.

floodgate
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
ace, NV:

The two-letter codes following the mould ID number actually identify the cherry used to cut the mould - so with Lyman's current rather casual attitude about matching cherries the "-AV" and "-BV"cavities may be a bit different as to profile and as-cast weight (try 'em and report back). There may be another number/letter combination on one block: this identifies the machine and operator who cut the set. The "match number" is a one-, two- or three-digit number that appears on BOTH blocks. For moulds made in the last few years, there is also a numerical month-date code on one block. In addition to the "U-" prefix (for "undersized" - presumably cut with a worn or re-ground cherry), you may also find older moulds with an "-ES" for "extra small"; an "-S", which can mean either "small" or "short"; or an "R", which means "reject" (a lot of these were sold off in the 1980's, but seem to cast just fine). All this is from "the horse's mouth": either from Tom Griffin at Lyman, from the Handbooks, or from actual samples on hand.

I'm supposed to be pulling this info all together for a "sticky"; just haven't come up with the right "round tuit" yet.

floodgate

ace1001
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks! I knew someone here could help me. Ace

NVcurmudgeon
03-20-2007, 01:30 AM
ace, believe Floodgate. Sometimes I'm full of baloney!

JSH
03-20-2007, 07:34 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11498