PDA

View Full Version : New member, bought a couple of molds.

Billairgun
03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I've been thinking of taking up casting and the local indoor range had some used molds for $10.00 and $12.00 so I picked up three. A Lyman 45266 looks like a .45swc, an Ideal 311413 in a box still coated in grease looks like a .30 cal round nose, and a double cavity Lyman 311041AX looks like a .30 cal flat point. I can get lead from the indoor range at the club I belong to but I'll have to wait untill I get every thing else to cast any bullits.

Nueces
03-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Nice scores on the moulds, Bill, and welcome to Valhalla. Lots of folks here to answer questions and otherwise show interest. The search function will be your friend, to find info on tuning up old moulds and such. Drop in often and tell us how it's going.

Mark

Billairgun
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
After passing up a case(5000) of Winchester LR primers for $45.00(no cash at the time) I decided I should go ahead and jump on these.

45nut
03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Another welcome to CB.. that 311041 is a classic 30-30 design that works quite well for other applications as well.

gregg
03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Put the molds in the trash and walk away. There is no good that can come from them. You might be better off buying ICE from a street dope dealer.
Go look in the group buy area for more of an idea what
awaits you if you keep the molds.

Billairgun
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I'll have to have something to do with all my time and money when they pass the assalt weapons ban since most of it goes to NRA highpower service rifle competition right now.

RU shooter
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll have to have something to do with all my time and money when they pass the assalt weapons ban since most of it goes to NRA highpower service rifle competition right now. Now atleast you wont need to sink as much into casting as High Power I was seriously thinking of not shooting HP this season due to just the price of bullets going so high . Hummmmmm If I could only make a good 80 gr cast boolit that would shoot moa@600 yds!!!!!!! Maybe I'll be shooting RC with my Swiss K31 as match rifle next year with cast?

44woody
03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Billairgun welcom to the board you will find there is alot of good people with more know how than you will probably will ever use :castmine: 44Woody

birdhunters
03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Welcome aboard Billairgun: Just keep your eyes and ears open and check in often you be a master caster in no time at all.

jhalcott
03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
welcome bill, I just got one of those 31141 molds for use in a 30=30 contender. I hope I have as much OR more luck with mine as you do with yours!

Wayne Smith
03-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Bill,

I'm still casting with a Coleman two burner camping stove, old 1qt steel kitchen pot, and old muffin tins as an ingot mold. You don't need fancy, except for a good ladel (RCBS, Lyman) and a good thermometer. Save your money for good molds and start scarfing up wheelweights!

Billairgun
03-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I can't find anywhere around that will let me have wheelweights. Talked to the Presedent of one gun club who runs a motorcycle shop and he said they run over $20.00 each. I'm checking out turkey friers right now but holding off for garage sale season to see what turns up. I am looking at the Lee ingot mold and mabey a Lyman ladle.

nighthunter
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Billairgun .... you did pretty well with the molds you scored. You also did pretty well when you found this web site. Most of the folks here have lead in their veins and there is no cure. Shooting boolits that you make yourself will bring great pleasure to you if the great BOOLIT MONSTER gets its teeth into your hide. The folks here are very helpful with helping new people to our hobby. You can not ask a question that won't be answered with truth from experience. Every one of us started casting with our first boolit. Welcome to my world.
Nighthunter

PS ... if you want WW you have to go to tire shops that have used WW. Nothing against the motorcycle shop guy but cars use a lot more WW and a lot more tires. You will be turned down a few times but you will eventually find a tire shop that is willing to part with the silver gold.

fatnhappy
03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
You're done like dinner.

If it helps, just tell the wife that the moulds that keep coming in are "loaners" you've sent out to other guys on the board. At some point you'll learn when e-bay moulds must be shipped from East Nowhere to arrive on a day when your wife is not at home. :drinks:

Billairgun
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I just stoped at the range again this morning and got another 5 gallon bucket out of the backstop. It must weigh over 100lps, good thing I had a fold up dolly with me. Still had a heck of a time getting it in the car.