PDA

View Full Version : recamend a BPC loading book?

G. Blessing
03-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Good day Gents,

I'm wondering if you could recamend a good book (or books) on the subject to me?

I'm not new to reloading, have the newest speer manual, and the lyman cast bullet manual. Neither of witch mention anything for black...

I shoot a traditional muzzle loader too, mostly with pyrodex and 777, but the combination of black or subs and cartridges is a new thing for me.

If it matters, it will be mostly for .45 colt, maybe .38spl, or .357mag if datta is available.

Thanks for any and all advice. :)

Gary.

Boz330
03-19-2007, 08:44 AM
For BPCR, the primer by Mike Veturino and Steve Garbe available from SPG is dated but good. For the pistol cartridges Mike's book shooting Lever Guns of the old West has a lot of BP loads. Basically for the pistol rounds just fill the case up and seat a bullet. Just remember to use a BP lube on the boolits to prevent prematute fouling.

Bob

G. Blessing
03-21-2007, 07:35 AM
thanks, I came across a link to this; http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction%20to%20BPCR%20Loading.pdf

and it fills in the blanks I had.

G.

BruceB
03-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Better than ANY book, but requiring more reading, is the "Shooter to Shooter" Forum at

www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

As of today, they have over 3700 TOPICS since they started on page one. Go right to the beginning and start reading. Some of the very best BPCR shooters in the long history of black powder post there regularly, and they know of what they speak.

I was disappointed in the Venturino/Garbe book, as it is simplistic and limited (to my thinking). The Shiloh forum brings us cutting-edge techniques and descriptions of what is working best TODAY. We still have to pick and choose from the info posted, but there sure is a LOT of it...

G. Blessing
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks, I hope to find some handgun/revolver sized round specific information... That makes it all total of 5 forums I'm reading on BP, and 7 on shooting.... :roll: :coffee:

G.

WBH
03-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Paul Mathews has written some good books as well.