PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer, boolit base issue.

Murphy
03-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I was lucky enough to get in on Catshooters first round of Keith molds and have the #358429.

My mold casts the boolits out anywhere between .363 to .364 in diameter.

The problem I am having is this. I use the nose first method of sizing and lubing all my boolits thru the Star. My alloy isn't that hard and when I push a boolit through the die, the boolit punch is causing a dimple in the base of the boolit. Sometimes it's centered, and sometimes it is to one side, leaving a fin on one side of the boolit base.

I decided to try sizing them base first and then just run them normally for the lubing process. This seems to have solved the problem of the dimple/fin issue. However, I bought a Star so I could size/lube boolits faster and easier than running them through twice.

I am using what Star calls their 'Standard' size boolit punch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Murphy

P.S. NO...I do not want to sell my mold and hope for one that casts a smaller diameter in the next group buy.... :)

454PB
03-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Since I started using the Star sizer, I've found that it doesn't have the mechanical leverage to do a lot of sizing in one pass. You don't say what size you are using, but assuming that it's .358", you are trying to size .005" to .006" in one pass. That's asking a lot for any sizer, let alone the Star. If you're determined to use those large boolits, you may have to either do the sizing in two steps, or use a Lee push through die. I recently sized some linotype .45 boolits that were .455" as cast and needed to be .452". After muscleing about 20 prelubed boolits through the Star, I decided to used the Lee, rather than risk breaking the linkage on the Star.

Personally, I think any more than .002" to .003" of sizing degrades the accuracy of the boolit.

Dale53
03-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Murphy;
You do not say what diameter you are sizing too (size of your die).

However, you might want to consider a "punch" more nearly the size of your bullet. I am thinking of a size that drops freely into your sizing die but not much smaller. If you use a .357" flat "punch" it shouldn't mark the bullets. You can also use that punch for .44's and .45's without a problem.

Of course, I am assuming (since you didn't mention the size of your present punch) that your punch is considerably smaller than your bullet.

Your punch shouldn't be off center regardless of what size punch it is. The base mark, if any, should always be centered. Further, the edges of your punch should be slightly "broken" (rounded just a bit) so that there is no sharp edge to dig into the base of the bullet (the bullet is not perfectly aligned when started until it is a short way into the sizing die).

Dale53

Cherokee
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
You have discovered one of the limitations for the Star sizers, which is why I still have my Lyman 450 & 4500. On the Star, you are sizing nose first, pushing the "oversize" lead to the base. Even a tight fitting punch will allow the fins to form. Sizing base first pushes the "oversize" lead to the nose and there is plenty of nose to accept it. If you measured the bullets before and after, you should see that the bullets have grown in length during the sizing process.

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
like was said most of it is cured by a proper sized punch. If you look in verals book on casting he gives advice as to how to make a better top punch. Ive never bothered as those dimples dont hurt a thing and have never caused a problem with accuracy for me. They are also more prevelent when your using softer lead. Alot of the pressure required to size is eliminated too if you run a lubed bullet through about every 10th bullet.

targetshootr
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't get dimples on the base but each caliber has a punch. It might not hurt to run a boolit back through from time to time to keep lube in the die.

3sixbits
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Some good advise here, I might add that your alloy is much to over alloyed. Try one in ten and you will reduce the dia of the as cast bullet. One advantage to a proper fitted punch in the Star is I don't care what goes in the die first, nose or base. I don't fill the tubes any other way but scooped up. If I want to shoot as cast (heavely alloyed) bullets that means a custom made mold that was built to cast that alloy. The rule in casting is the more the alloying the less it shrinks when cooled. Try different mixes for different sizes.

trk
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Not having a Star, but having just cut two different diameters by opening up the Lee push-through sizer let me make these observations:

Sizing a few thousandths leaves a small imprint on the base of the bullet, sizing 6 or 7 thousandths is much harder and deforms the bullet more.

Lubricating with LLA and motor mica works VERY well, slightly moreso than lanolin.

At .376 diameter I use a .370 diameter pusher. SLight finning if heavily sizing.

Sizing again in a RCBS lubricizer using standard H&I dies really does a nice job on squaring up the base.