PDA

View Full Version : How are the gun laws in North Carolina

Jamesconn
02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
My parents are going to move to north Carolina when I graduate because of my fathers job.

Just wondering about the gun laws up there

Any info is appreciated laws and/or personal experiences as well

Moonie
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
pretty good, open carry state, we have concealed carry and reciprocate with lots of others (the ones that reciprocate with us)

Blacksmith
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Here is a place to do a quick check:
http://nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

Just scroll down to the state you are interested in and click View Profile.

For $25 you could join the North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association and start getting the newsletter and legislative alerts, then you will know what is happening before you even move.
http://www.ncrpa.org/members/join.shtml

contender1
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
What part of NC will you be coming to? Some cities are not as gun friendly as others.
In general, we have descent gun laws. Open carry is allowed, as is CCW with a permit. To purchase a longgun, you will go through the instant check and leave the same day. To purchase a handgun, you have to go to your home county sheriff dept to get a "pistol purchasing permit." Each county has a different sheriff and each one can set his own rules about how long it takes to get a permit. It can range from immediately, to as much as two weeks. In some counties, a permit will expire in 30 days, and others they are good for up to 5 years. The cost of a permit can not be over $5.
Discharging a firearm is mostly illegal in most incorporated cities & towns. In the counties, outside city limits, it's ok. Public gun ranges are not as available in many areas. Most gun ranges are private.
In general, it's not too bad.

Jamesconn
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
:O in Texas if you have the money and ID to prove age that's all you need and to carry you only need a permit.

beagle
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I was raised in NC and spent some time in Texas. What a difference. The sherriff's permit is the biggest pain for purchasing a handgun. Otherwise, it's a pretty good state for guns. I though a was in heaven in Texas on handguns.

Come on to Kentucky, all we have is the instant check./beagle

Blammer
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
PM sent.

Trey45
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
The pistol purchase permit was a pain when I first moved here. NC is a must issue state for permits, but there is no legislature stating how many the sheriff must issue. Some sheriffs will issue all you can buy, others issue one per person per year. The sheriff of my county only issued 2 per person per year, but he also taught the CCW class, and if you get a CCW you do not need a purchase permit. That seemed like a conflict of interests to me so I took my CCW class elsewhere.

We are an open carry state, but we also have an archaic law on the books called "going about to the terror of the public" which is open to individual police officer interpretation. Basically, if you open carry, and some soccer mom see's your sidearm and freaks out, gets scared and calls John Law, and John Law has a chip on his shoulder, you will be arrested for going about to the terror of the public charges. Open carry simply is not worth the risk here, at least until we get rid of that law.

02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I have OC'd for a long time and no problems. Have had a couple Charlotte cops check #s but that is all. Most pay it no attention. I see more and more carrying than ever before. Lots of ladies are taking CCarry courses and a gun shop bud said he sells more to ladies than gents.

Moonie
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
GATTOP really isn't as bad as Trey45 paints it, there are very specific instances that it can be applied. Yes some cops with a chip can use it but it always gets thrown out in court (I know, best not to go). Usually it is used as an add on charge for someone that has done something very stupid, with a gun.

Me and one of my sons have been open carrying for a few years. Check out this forum for more information:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?117-North-Carolina&

Trey45
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Moonie I took my info directly from what Sheriff Webb in Gates County told me, those are his words. When the chief law enforcement officer of my county tells me something, I tend to listen, ymmv.