PDA

View Full Version : Happy St Paddy's Day

sundog
03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Yea, I know, a day late. I made corned beef and cabbage in a big ole roasting pan on my wood stove out in the shop this afternoon whilst I cast some 31141s. The boolits came out most famously and my world famous 'carned beef' even better.

I most enjoy celebrating my heritage, especially today with some really good 'carned beef', cabbage, red potato, onion, carrot.... Can you tell that I really enjoyed dinner? And a beer. Or two....

I'm Irish. And Polish (2nd generation). And German. And..., and I am an American, and damn proud to be able to enjoy all of it. We are truly blessed.

The corned beef really was good. How come there aren't any other holidays when everyone wants to be Irish?

waksupi
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it is strange. On St. Patty's day, everyone wants to be Irish. So, what about Martin Luther King Day? I just don't get the urge.

sundog
03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Ric, he-he-he, I wasn't gonna say it... I have not a thing agin other folks. Mostly. But I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo either. btw, my beer(sssssssssssss) was NOT green. O'Sundog

Bigjohn
03-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Definition of an Irish husband: He hasn't kissed his wife for twenty years, but he will kill any man who does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Murphy told Quinn that his wife was driving him to drink. Quinn thinks he's very lucky because his own wife makes him walk.

The late Bishop Sheen stated that the reason the Irish fight so often among themselves is that they're always assured of having a worthy opponent.

An American lawyer asked, "Paddy, why is it that whenever you ask an Irishman a question, he answers with another question?"

"Who told you that?" asked Paddy.

Question - Why are Irish jokes so simple?

Answer - So the English can understand them.

Reilly went to trial for armed robbery. The jury foreman came out and announced, "Not guilty."

"That's grand!" shouted Reilly. "Does that mean I can keep the money?"

Irish lass customer: "Could I be trying on that dress in the window?"

Shopkeeper: "I'd prefer that you use the dressing room."

Mrs. Feeney shouted from the kitchen, "Is that you I hear spittin' in the vase on the mantle piece?"

"No," said himself, "but I'm gettin' closer all the time."

Q. What do you call an Irishman who knows how to control a wife?

A. A bachelor.

Finnegin: My wife has a terrible habit of staying up 'til two o'clock in the morning. I can't break her of it.

Keenan: What on earth is she doin' at that time?

Finnegin: Waitin' for me to come home .

Slaney phoned the maternity ward at the hospital. "Quick!" He said. "Send an ambulance, my wife is goin' to have a baby!"

"Tell me, is this her first baby?" the intern asked.

"No, this is her husband, Kevin, speakin'."

"O'Ryan," asked the druggist, "did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?"

"It did surely," replied O'Ryan, "but it keeps fallin' off!"

Did you hear about the Irish newlyweds who sat up all night on their honeymoon waiting for their sexual relations to arrive?

My mother wanted me to be a priest. Can you imagine giving up your sex life and then once a week people come in to tell you the details and highlights of theirs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So "Top o' the Mornin' to ya and the rest of the day to my self."

A Murphy clan member,

John.

Murphy
03-18-2007, 11:26 PM
A day late, but what the heck.

Family was traced all the way back to Ireland. Kidnapped we were!!! Brought here and sold into indentured slavery!

Okay, where my money suck'a?

Murphy

MT Gianni
03-19-2007, 09:45 AM
My Irish ancestors imigated during the 1840's, along with the "No Irish need apply" signs. My favorite description is from the book "The Hallelua Trail" 1 Irishman ya got a hard worker, 2 Irish a prize fight, 3 Irish a police force, 4 Irish a union and 3 just voted to strike. Gianni

Kraschenbirn
03-19-2007, 10:37 AM
My grandfather always claimed that his grandfather was an Irish nationalist who came to American to escape British persecution...my grandmother said he was a horse thief who made it onto the boat only a step and a half ahead of the Constabulary.

Bill

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
A day late, but what the heck.

Family was traced all the way back to Ireland. Kidnapped we were!!! Brought here and sold into indentured slavery!

Okay, where my money suck'a?

Murphy

Murphy, when I hear somebody talking about their "aristocratic" European roots, I wonder why in the world they aren't still there. My name goes back to a German orphan boy, born in Pennsylvania, who was raised as an indentured servant. One of my mother's ancestors fled France because of religious persecution, fought in the religious wars in Ireland, and a descendant moved to Virginia and served in the Revolution. The upper class Europeans didn't NEED to move to the colonies to get a break!

bruce drake
03-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Not Irish but proudly Welsh with some French Canadian thrown in to boot.

1640, my Maternal side emigrated from Cardiff to Massachusetts colony and then moved north to Maine where they intermarried with the local English and French.

My great-grandfather emigrated from Wales after the first Great War. Have been speaking Welsh at the house ever since.

Oh, not a significant ancester in the bunch or any with delusions of grandeur but we do get by with stories of the days of the wee little Drake men running the logruns down the Penobscot river with cantdogs and pikes. Something about Welshmen being smaller thhan average but full of fight.

Oh, in support of our local Irish, I went to the three day Irish festival that is held here in town (Fri-Sun) and flew the Welsh griffin flag and drank plenty of real Irish beer. The money raised by the festival is used to bring kids from Northern Ireland here in the summer for camps.

Bruce

Hip's Ax
03-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I spent 20 years tending bar in my family's establishment, we closed up in 1997 after 101 years in business. This was always one of my favorite jokes, yes, my last name ends in PHY. LOL

An Irishman named O'Malley went to his doctor after a long illness.
The doctor, after a lengthy examination, sighed and looked O'Malley in the eye, and said, "I've some bad news for you. You have cancer, and it can't be cured. I'd give you two weeks to a month to live."
O'Malley was shocked and saddened by the news, but of solid character. He managed to compose himself and walk from the doctor's office into the waiting room. There, he saw his son who had been waiting. O'Malley said, "Well son, we Irish celebrate when things are good, and we celebrate when things don't go so well. In this case, things aren't so well. I have cancer, and I've been given a short time to live. Let's head for the pub and have a few pints."
After three or four pints, the two were feeling a little less somber. There were some laughs and more beers. They were eventually approached by some of O'Malley's old friends who asked what the two were celebrating. O'Malley told them that the Irish celebrate the good and the bad. He went on to tell them that they were drinking to his impending end. He told his friends, "I've only got a few weeks to live as I have been diagnosed with AIDS."
The friends gave O'Malley their condolences, and they had a couple more beers.
After his friends left, O'Malley's son leaned over and whispered his confusion. "Dad. I though you said that you were dying from cancer??? You just told your friends that you were dying from AIDS!"
O'Malley said, "I am dying of cancer, son. I just don't want any of them sleeping with your mother after I'm gone."

KCSO
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey I'll tell you about aristocratic roots...
Not mine by the way my ancestor was a kings warden in Moravia when he got caught poaching and he made it to the boat just ahead of a rope. My wifes family came from a Scandinavian Baron's son who immigrated to the us rather than inherit the 14 acres of land due him. It seems overpopulation and dividing the land amoung heirs had cut the estate from 680 acres in 1700's to 14 acres apiece in 1850's. Being a Baron's son meant when you grew up you had to figure how not to starve feeding your family on what 14 acres would grow.

He came here because a letter home from a relative promised him 160 acres of land and there hadn't been that much land in the family for 50 years.

There is no Irish blood in our family and personally I don't think the Irish are as tough as they make out to be:why just the other night we had a fight in the local bar and me and my six brother beat the hell out of an Irishman.

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Irishmen are plenty tough, it's just that God allowed them to learn how to make whiskey so they wouldn't rule the world.

9.3X62AL
03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I should talk a little treason with the Provo boyos, some of things ye be saying about sons of the Old Sod.

My mother lights a candle for the Notre Dame football team every Friday before a game, just like her father did. In view of that, a story--as told by Craig Fertig of USC......

One late fall day it was the task of the USC football team to play Notre Dame in the shadow of the Golden Dome. Like most of these holy wars, the game was close and hard-fought. Late in the fourth quarter, a drive by USC stalled near the goal line, and an "offensive holding" penalty set things back even further. The Coach at the time--John McKay--was beside himself, sensing a "home town call" by a partisan officiating crew, and railed at the referee for this outrage.

McKay--"FLAHERTY, YOU STINK!!"

Another yellow flag goes up, and 15 further yards are marched off against the USC squad for "unsportsmanlike conduct".

Flaherty--"HEY, MCKAY--HOW DO I SMELL FROM HERE?"