PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up if you use a Lee priming tool and are considering TULA primers.

Ole
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I used my Lee priming tool to prime 200 .357 Mag cases yesterday using CCI 550's and didn't have a single problem.

Broke into my stash of 10k Tula small pistol magnums today. They are a good bit larger than other primers. You have to shake the primer tool a lot more than usual to get them to fall into the ready slot. When priming the cases, you can tell the primers are bigger (they require more force to seat a primer than the CCI's).

I primed about 100 cases and had about 15 primers try to go in sideways. Didn't stop soon enough for 3 of them and ruined them. These might be awesome primers, but they don't work well with my Lee hand priming tool. YMMV.

I'm not happy. Maybe I'll call powder valley with hat in hand and see if they will work with me. :oops:

Ole
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
OK so I did 275 more and I think I'm not going to send these back after all.

They are a lot harder to seat, but there's an increased amount of force that is required but if the primer doesn't seat with that, then pop the shell holder out and check for a sideways primer. Only squished one more primer in the last 275.

turmech
02-22-2012, 12:23 AM
I have not tried the Tula, but my lee priming tool does not like the Magtec small pistol primers. they somehow get turned over upside down. I have to watch each case.

MikeS
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM
When using Tula primers, I found that if I shake the Lee priming tool while the ram is still in the up position (still holding it in on the last primer primed), and then make a full stroke with the lever each time I have lots less problems with primers going in sideways.

noylj
02-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I am not sure that dealers can accept primers back and then there is the hazmat charge for shipping.
If you don't like the Tula primers, and even if you do, this would be a good time to stock up on the brands you like.

dverna
02-22-2012, 02:17 AM
I just bought 20,000 of their small pistol primers to run in a Dillon 1050. I will be one ticked off puppy if the stupid things jam up.

No wonder they were under $20/1000.

Don

Moondawg
02-22-2012, 03:33 AM
I have run about 10,000 in LPP, SPP and SRP though my Dillion 550 with out a problem. Same for my K&M hand priming tool. Lee priming tools have sloppy tolerances and you can get upside down and sideways primers with any brand in them. Blame the Lee tool not the primer brand.

evan price
02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
I bought tens of thousands of the Wolf (Same as Tula) and the only problem is they seem a smidge larger diameter (like a thousandth or so) than the Winchester/CCIs I used before. This is nice because on older brass they fit tighter. You just have to have a good chamfer on the pocket and then stuff them in there. I've loaded almost 20,000 of them and they all went bang.

Floydster
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Nothing wrong with Wolf/ Tula primers, have used many thousands in the last few years and have never had a misfire, also I use my Lee hand primer and the Lee saftey prime, the W/T prmers don't cause any more probs the any other kind--at least for me.

GabbyM
02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
My RCBS hand prime tool runs Wolf SR and LR primers just fine.

The Ranger
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
i bought 2,000 Tula SP primers at a gunshow a month or so ago, i was i little worried because i had heard some of the russian primer run big. when i got home i mic'ed a few vs. Win SP and they seemed to be exactly the same. i have not any yet. i use a Lee hand prime and it has always worked perfect with Win and CCI primers.

dubber123
02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
How would you fellas rate the hardness of these primers? Same as CCI? It would be great if they were as soft as Federals, but that would be a bit much to ask I suppose.

Freightman
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I have used 5000 Tula SPP magnums with a LEE hand primer and not any problems. They are a little tighter but it still handles them and the tool is 12 or so years old.