PDA

View Full Version : Case lube on cast boolits

Humbo
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The other day I was sizing some 45 caliber 360 grs WFN boolits, and to make them go through the die a little easier I gave them a little spray with case lube. It reduced friction some, but another effect was that it made the boolit lube stay on the boolits a lot better. Before when moving sized boolits around, the lube had a tendency to stick to other boolits, especially with the softer stuff. (I mostly use Carnauba Red). So I think I'll spray all shipped boolits with case lube from now on. Does anyone see any problems that could arise from this?
Thanks.

prs
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
You had me going there for awhile. I could not figure how case lube was keeping boolit lube on the boolits better, then I realized you are talking about boolits that are already lubed with boolit lube. But maybe that is wrong too. Now I can figure why, if you are pan lubing boolits before sizing them, they would need more lube of any kind when sizing? I see no harm as long as the combination does not harm gun powder or gum-up the seating die. I gotta be over-looking something obvious here.

prs

williamwaco
02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Yea, Me too. I have used Hornady sizing wax during the bullet sizing with Lee sizing dies. It helps with the friction but I have not noticed it affecting the bullet lube either positively or negatively.

What do you mean by "made boolit lube stay on the boolits a lot better."

Please give us a step by step description of the process.

Humbo
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Maybe I was a bit vague in my last post. My procedure is: first I cast the boolits, then I spray them with case lube before running them through my Star sizer. The case lube doesn't make the boolit lube stay better on the boolits, but it prevents the lube from one boolit sticking to another boolit, if you understand. This is a problem when shipping boolits in the mail where they get tossed around a lot.

cbrick
02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I've never tried that but it kinda makes sense. Give'm a little spray just before packing and see if you get fewer customer complaints after shipping them.

Rick

runfiverun
02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
spray the rubbing alcohol/lanolin on after you lube with the carnuba red.
it keeps the lube from making a big mess on the other boolits.
i posted this some time back,as i usually store unloaded boolits by the 5 and 7 gallon bucket full.