PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! No data on 105+ gr LRN 9x18!

KaliforniaRebel
02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
So I couldn't help myself when I decided to make cast after I couldn't find any heavier-then-average 9x18 out there anymore (except Buffalo Bore. $25 for 20 rounds? Yeah right... ). I know the little CZ 82 can take it.

One big problem after casting came up though. I'm having a tough time finding anything on reload data over the 100 grain mark. All my boolits measured right around 107.2 gr!

I went off the reload data for Bullseye and seated two batches of 50 each with one batch at the 10% below minimum and the second at the bare minimum mark for 100 gr. I know the min level of 2.8 gr for 100 will be over for a heavier bullet, but it shouldn't exceed the max level.

...right? :|

SlowSmokeN
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
When in doubt send Bullseye an email with what you are doing and they will send you the load data you are wanting. By providing this service they assure themselves you will continue to buy their powder.

It is all a guess until you pull the trigger.

W.R.Buchanan
02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think you are pushing the envelope at all here. If the boolit was 125 gr then you'd possibly be in the danger zone. 7 gr in weight is not enough to worry about.

You followed correct proceedure for starting loads. Your boolit is 7% above the data you have. You reduced the load 10%. this is fine.

However you are on or below the minimum end of the load window. With some powders this would be a problem and they will usually tell you if you should not go below minimum charges with those powders. (H110/W296 being an example.)

Bullseye is not one of these powders, and the only negative effect could be sticking a bullet in the bore (BIB) This would be hard to do on a short barreled pistol like a CZ82. Not impossible, just hard.

You have more than enough cushion to proceed. If you had a chronograph you can tell where you are at alot better than just guessing, but still, using your reloading manuals and comparing the published velocities versus powder charges from several sources you can usually predict what velocities you are going to get with a given charge weight. As long as you are above 600 fps you won't stick a boolit, and as long as your loads are not pushing the top end for a Mak with 100gr jacketed bullets of 850-900fps, I think you'll be fine.

The chrono would be something that you would need if you were pushing the upper end of the envelope as far as charges and velocites are concerned, more as a safety tool than anything else, but also useful to find the ideal charge weight based on velocities and accuracy. IE what velocity yeilds the best accuracy.

Still you need to pay attention, but that goes without saying, and always watch for pressure signs.

Hope this helps.

Randy.

KaliforniaRebel
02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Randy And SlowSmokin. This is my first batch and I wanted to make sure I was OK before doing anything wrong. It's always best to have a second or third head think about the problem to prevent mishap.

I initially loaded the first group at the minimum level thinking I'd be alright and learned only afterward of the "Reduce minimum loads by 10%" rule for starting loads. Safety first! :mrgreen:

canyon-ghost
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I've loaded 9X19 with 3.2 grains of Bullseye. You really want a soft shooting load that just functions the slide and action. Then you can adjust a little but, Bulleye changes pressure quickly. I ended up pulling bullets doing that, got hot too quick. I just figured I could waste the brass and bullets because I surely didn't want to shoot them.

Just be very cautious with 9mm.

Czech_too
02-22-2012, 06:17 AM
A couple of weeks ago I shot some loads using the Lee 358-105-SWC. I don't have the info. in front of me right now though, I'll check later when it's light out.

I had read where some were using this boolit in the 9mm and figured I'd give it a try. Problem was this mould, using range lead 'alloy', dropped them on the large side so I opened it up, using some aluminum tape, and tried it in the CZ82. My biggest concern, was it going to feed being a SWC, turned out to be a non issue.

The powder used was Unique with a starting load of 3.6 grains, worked up to 4.3 grains. Best results were in the middle of that range. COL .946", sized .363", CCI 500 primer, Starline brass.

These rounds were fired in MY CZ82, your results may vary.

Rocky Raab
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Confusesus say: Man who load 50 rounds of test ammo soon wear out bullet puller.

From my Moldy Oldy files, this was the first major article printed by the NRA on reloading the Makarov, back in 1990 or '91. Most of the loads in manuals today were derived from my research. Read and scroll to the load tables at the bottom.

LINK (http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm)

KaliforniaRebel
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Great reload info. This is something where i'll be measuring for a few days before any of it goes down the barrel.

RU shooter
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
You can also use the .380 ACP loads for the same bullet weights and increase 10% I have an older Speer manual that lists up to 115 gr bullets for the .380

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Fit may be the issue. 9x18 needs a fat boolit. Be sure to slug the bore and make sure
you can get the mold to make them big enough.

Bill