PDA

View Full Version : substitute for alox

Thompsoncustom
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but in searching I could not find anything. Is there a substitute for alox that you could pick up locally say at a home depot or farm fleet kind of store. Maybe a anti-rust lube or something of the sort that works close to alox. Or has anyone made something at home that mimics the effects of alox

mooman76
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
JPW, Johnsons paste wax. Comes in a can like car wax but it is usually fould in sores where you would find furniture polish and stuff.

stubshaft
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
There was an anti rust spray used on heavy equipment that was very similar but cannot remember the name of it. One of the Reps offered samples of it here a couple of years ago, maybe someone will remember and chime in.

Horace
02-20-2012, 11:46 PM
CRC makes a product called SP 400 that is ALOX based.45% LLA x 45% JPW x 10% MS works very well it`s hard to beat.

Horace

grouch
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
I use Canadian Tire Moly Grease - it's as good as anything I've tried, got over 2500fps out of a 4 groove Springfield with +/- 2-1/2" for 5 shots at 100yds.
Grouch

Frank46
02-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Zbart used to be used for undercoating cars. Definitely had the smell of alox. Check car dealerships. I also thing LPS #3 is a rust proofing spray that is used to store machinery for extended times dries to a hard waxy coating. And of course Johnson's paste wax. Wally world.
Frank

Thompsoncustom
02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
oops I see that I put this in the wrong section.... Also thanks for the tips I am running LLA/JPW/MS as a lube right now I was just looking to replace the Alox with something cheap and can be bought in a bigger bulk locally.

I see Menards carries wiring pulling lube as anyone tired to use that as a replacement for alox? says it's meant to stick to cable through out long pulls but I have no idea or have even heard of wiring pulling lube before.

Linstrum
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
I use Ideal Yellow 77 wire pulling lubricant as case sizing lubricant. It comes in plastic quart bottles, and I bought mine at either Lowe's or Home Depot a few years back. It works fairly well for sizing large cases like .30-06 and 8mm Mauser, although for tough jobs lanolin is still the best. I apply it with my fingers and then run the cases into the die before it dries. It doesn't hurt to size cases after they dry, but it takes a little more force on the press lever. It doesn't need to be washed off your hands when you are done because it behaves a lot like hand lotion. Might even work for that, too!

I suppose it could be used as bullet lube, but the dried residue is very thin, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If it doesn't work as bullet lube just use it for sizing cases, - - - - or even pulling wires!

rl 1075

3006guns
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Wire pulling lubes are just that.......lubrication for pulling wires through conduit. As a result they naturally stay soft and "greasy".....not much of a substitute for boolit lube.

Why not just contact White Label and order a quart of xlox for $9.95? Even the most ardent caster couldn't use that much in a year!

Ole
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Guy on ebaY is selling quarts of Xlox for $11 + $5.60 shipping.

Thompsoncustom
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Ya i know about xlox but that's more of just a rebranded alox is it not? I was looking more for a substitute not really for cost saving I guess because it's all cheap enough more just wondering that's all.

DLCTEX
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
That guy on Ebay is our own Lars, a site sponsor. That 32 oz. container will lube years worth of shooting. Economical and shipped to your door. He's White Label Lubes.

hiram
02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
The only 'anti-rust' spray being offered as samples here was Fluid Film. I believe this was lanolin spray.

Someone once said that Lee's case lube was wire rope lube--

geargnasher
02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Ammsoil HD Metal Protector is an aerosol spray marketed as a motorcycle chain lube. The MSDS is slightly different from liquid Alox, but contains much the same stuff, probably better stuff. Both are based on calcium sulfonate metal soap.

Gear

popper
02-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Cable pulling soap is calcium based and REAL messy.

williamwaco
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Ya i know about xlox but that's more of just a rebranded alox is it not? I was looking more for a substitute not really for cost saving I guess because it's all cheap enough more just wondering that's all.

I switched to Xlox as soon as I found it. It is IDENTICAL to LLA and much less expensive AND you don't have to pick it up locally. Your postal carrier will deliver it right to your front door.

See:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

32 ounces for the price of 8 ounces of LLA.

Try it, You will like it.

MikeS
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm amazed that nobody makes the correction that 'Alox' is NOT the same thing as LLA, or xlox, or anything else, but rather is a brand name. LLA and xlox are products that use ONE particular Alox product. the NRA formula of 50/50 uses another Alox product for half it's ingredients.

People using the word Alox to mean Lee's Liquid Alox cause lots of confusion when somebody goes to make the NRA formula, and wonder why it didn't work, after all they took 4oz of melted beeswax, and put in a whole bottle of Alox, and it's nothing like the Javelina lube, which is also beeswax, and alox! I know it's a little thing, but if we don't start making the distinction, who will?

noylj
02-22-2012, 02:02 AM
NRA 50/50 using the grease ALOX.
Xlox and LLA use the undercoating/anti-rust oxidized calcium soap sludge.
What is the stuff the coat military rifles with (my mind is not working today--hurts too much)? That seemed like an almost 1:1 replacement for the LLA sludge minus the MS.
PS: All I've been shooting for many years have been cast bullets with LLA, so I like the sludge.
Don't forget that you can also try Rooster Jacket or one of the AnchorSeal wax emulsions for low speed applications.

evan price
02-22-2012, 04:31 AM
In my quest to go cheap I called Ziebart because they use ALOX I thought.

The rep over there said they use two different coatings, the one sprayed inside frame rails and cavities is indeed an Alox product diluted with solvent. However they refused to sell me any. I said I was looking to ship and store farm equipment overseas and needed something to spray on them to prevent salt corrosion. He said they can't sell it.
I wound up buying White Label XLOX and the stuff works great and for the price I doubt I could get it any cheaper.

MakeMineA10mm
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
i'm amazed that nobody makes the correction that 'alox' is not the same thing as lla, or xlox, or anything else, but rather is a brand name. Lla and xlox are products that use one particular alox product. The nra formula of 50/50 uses another alox product for half it's ingredients.

People using the word alox to mean lee's liquid alox cause lots of confusion when somebody goes to make the nra formula, and wonder why it didn't work, after all they took 4oz of melted beeswax, and put in a whole bottle of alox, and it's nothing like the javelina lube, which is also beeswax, and alox! I know it's a little thing, but if we don't start making the distinction, who will?

a-men!

ricklaut
02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm amazed that nobody makes the correction that 'Alox' is NOT the same thing as LLA, or xlox, or anything else, but rather is a brand name. LLA and xlox are products that use ONE particular Alox product. the NRA formula of 50/50 uses another Alox product for half it's ingredients.

People using the word Alox to mean Lee's Liquid Alox cause lots of confusion when somebody goes to make the NRA formula, and wonder why it didn't work, after all they took 4oz of melted beeswax, and put in a whole bottle of Alox, and it's nothing like the Javelina lube, which is also beeswax, and alox! I know it's a little thing, but if we don't start making the distinction, who will?

Yeah... as a noob, I think I thought I properly distinguished my Xlox, Alox and LLA (as being pretty much identical...) - but now I think my thought wasn't thought thru. I think if I woulda acted on that thought and mixed my *lox (LLA) with some JPA & MS, I woulda been wrong. Whew!

Now, excuse me while I do some recipe searching...

williamwaco
02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Good grief Charlie Brown.

I just call them what the Manufacturer/Distributor calls them.
I don't plan to duplicate them in China and put the Americans out of business.

They have enough problems with the government that is supposed to be "helping" them.