PDA

View Full Version : Hello Guys!

JDeere7296
02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello All, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reloading for several years now and want to get into casting. Mainly for 45 and 9mm, but I have a .50 Beowulf I would like to cast for. I haven't gotten started yet, I want to read and learn as much as I can before I jump into it.

I've read where lead can foul the gas ports, is this true? Are there any who run cast bullets in a semi-auto gun?

Just wondering before I went and bought the mold. Thanks for the info in advance and look forward to learning something new!

Andy

beagle
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Andy, welcom to the forum. I'm sure you'll find someone here who is either doing what you're interested in, has done it.....or wants to.

It's a good group and we're the cutting edge of the casting technology.

We're doing the things now that go in the books later.

Come on in and enjoy./beagle

JDeere7296
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks Beagle! I've already learned alot just reading posts on here. I've always been intrigued by casting. When I was younger, i'm talking 9 or 10 I wanted to make some trotline weights and didnt' have the money to buy them. I found some old wheel weights and old fishing bullet weights.

I used the bottom of coke cans and used a torch to melt the weights into them and put a sturdy treble hook in the middle before it cooled and made my own weights. :-)

It's a wonder I didn't get burned....LOL....but ever since I've wanted to cast my own bullets.

rockrat
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I shoot cast in my 50 beowulf. The issue of lead in the gas tube is well overblown by those that really don't have a clue. You will get a bit, and after many rounds you might have to take one of those pipe cleaner things down the warm gas tube and clean it. Use a gas check bullet and get ahold of "Blammer" here to inquire about some "gator checks" for the design you choose.
Use a good lube, like LBT soft, or Lars Caranuba Red, and it will cut down any fouling.
If by chance you do clog the tube, after many, many rounds, they are easy to replace. The $$$ you save by shooting cast, will pay for many extra gas tubes.

The Lee 50-440 works well in my gun, but is a bit heavy, so I went with a group buy mould we had here, long ago, that casts @385. Check out NOE's moulds, he might have some left over, that would work. 390gr or so is plenty.

Welcome to the fire.

fishnbob
02-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Welcome JDeere7296,

I cast and shoot regularily in 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP and have seen no evidence in leading of gas ports. The only leading I have seen was in the barrel of someone's pistol who didn't use a boolit cast large enough to seal the barrel, they may have sized it too small to begin with. Read the threads on this subject, much has been written on it and you will enjoy rollin' your own and shootin' them up, if you don't become too attached to the lead after you hunt it down and smelt it into clean ingots for your casting pot. I fixed my range where I can shoot it and dig it up and remelt for use again.LOL
Good luck, God Bless.

jmsj
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Andy,
Welcome to the site!
As others have reccomended read the stickies and this is very good also
Sticky: From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners
Welcome and good luck, jmsj

JDeere7296
02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I shoot cast in my 50 beowulf. The issue of lead in the gas tube is well overblown by those that really don't have a clue. You will get a bit, and after many rounds you might have to take one of those pipe cleaner things down the warm gas tube and clean it. Use a gas check bullet and get ahold of "Blammer" here to inquire about some "gator checks" for the design you choose.
Use a good lube, like LBT soft, or Lars Caranuba Red, and it will cut down any fouling.
If by chance you do clog the tube, after many, many rounds, they are easy to replace. The $$$ you save by shooting cast, will pay for many extra gas tubes.

The Lee 50-440 works well in my gun, but is a bit heavy, so I went with a group buy mould we had here, long ago, that casts @385. Check out NOE's moulds, he might have some left over, that would work. 390gr or so is plenty.

Welcome to the fire.

Thanks Rockrat! Yeah 440 is a bit heavy. I have some of those exact bullets with gas checks I picked up. I've only loaded 10 rounds but I can tell it's too much just for plinking. I'll check the other sources you mentioned. Thanks again for the info and yes gas tubes are easily replaced and you do save tons over the expensive .501 TMJ or HP bullets out there.

Welcome JDeere7296,

I cast and shoot regularily in 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP and have seen no evidence in leading of gas ports. The only leading I have seen was in the barrel of someone's pistol who didn't use a boolit cast large enough to seal the barrel, they may have sized it too small to begin with. Read the threads on this subject, much has been written on it and you will enjoy rollin' your own and shootin' them up, if you don't become too attached to the lead after you hunt it down and smelt it into clean ingots for your casting pot. I fixed my range where I can shoot it and dig it up and remelt for use again.LOL
Good luck, God Bless.

Thats a good idea about reusing your lead, talk about recycling ;). I was mainly worried about leading in the semi-auto rifles like my beowulf. No so much in my pistols, I'll definately read the posts on sizing as I still haven't learned much about that yet.

bfuller14
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Welcome Andy,
I'm sorry too tell you but you are going too have a hard time finding
50 cal molds... There are several of us that want them but they are
like hens teeth.

Regards,
Barry

JDeere7296
02-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Welcome Andy,
I'm sorry too tell you but you are going too have a hard time finding
50 cal molds... There are several of us that want them but they are
like hens teeth.

Regards,
Barry

Yeah, I've been looking some and really haven't found much to speak of. I've seen the 440 gr that rockrat was talking about, but can't find any other size yet.

Norbrat
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I've been looking some and really haven't found much to speak of. I've seen the 440 gr that rockrat was talking about, but can't find any other size yet.

Try Cast Bullet Engineering here in Australia. Jim has a 325 gn design here http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html (scroll down) and he is able to custom make to your design. The only downside is he is backordered 12 - 14 weeks, but I have a number of his molds and they are a joy to use.

JDeere7296
02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks Norbrat, I will check him out. Backorder is no problem, I don't have all my stuff bought anyway so I will be awhile before I'm able to do any casting.