PDA

View Full Version : new guy just saying hello.

mr.jake
02-20-2012, 01:17 AM
hi guys. ive been lurking on for the last month or so and recently joined the forum. i came across this site by accident and have began casting because of it. i obtained 3 full five-gallon buckets of wheel weights for $40, bout a hot plate some mini muffin trays and a soup ladel and began making ingots with the methods described in this forum. after i made all off my ingots i bought a lee two cavity 9mm 124gr. tc tuble lube mold. many hours later i have around 2,000 unlubed boolits made and i still have 80% of my lead left. i used tire shine to lube my sprue plate on mold pins after heating up my mold and i used a pitiful lee ladel for pouring my lead into the mold. i havent lubed or loaded any ammo yet because i do not have a presa yet. (yes i know its odd to cast before reloading but i wnated to buy lead first because prices and avalabilty will be a problem in the future) i plan to get a lee classic turret kit and begin loading my boolits. thanks for all the shared wisdom on this forum. i hope to be a long time member and maybe some day contribute things that i learn in my journey of casting. -jake

quilbilly
02-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Welcome to our happy fraternity and pleasurable obsession.

Mooseman
02-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Welcome Mr. Jake !

Rich

mr.jake
02-20-2012, 01:33 AM
thanks man. i think i will enjoy being part of this community. im eager to learn.

mr.jake
02-20-2012, 01:35 AM
thank you mooseman and i hope i never do anything to make you hafto work harder :) (deleteing my threads editing etc.)

Anthony333
02-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Congratulations on your new hobby/obsession ...:-)

I am a newbie too, and i have gleaned so much great advice and ideas from here, that i am now cranking out some very good quality Boolits... i love reading all of the posts .. keeps me busy ..cheers Ant:popcorn:

mr.jake
02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Congratulations on your new hobby/obsession ...:-)

I am a newbie too, and i have gleaned so much great advice and ideas from here, that i am now cranking out some very good quality Boolits... i love reading all of the posts .. keeps me busy ..cheers Ant:popcorn:

agreed :smile:

Lizard333
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Welcome aboard. Let the addiction begin. ;)

stillkickn
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Hahaha, I started casting before I even had a press too! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

birdadly
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I was in your shoes about 10 months ago myself. I'm happy to say it only gets better through the first year! Isn't it awesome getting 2000 boolits and still having all that lead left to make more! Keep coming back, keep learning and be safe! -Brad

Shiloh
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Welcome.

Nice WW score. They used to be free. But 40 is o nice price.

Shiloh

Lizard333
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome.

Nice WW score. They used to be free. But 40 is o nice price.

Shiloh

Some places it still is. It's getting harder though.......

lead4me
02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
This casting thing takes on a life of its own. I get real pleasure outta sitting by a pot of molten lead and pouring my own. Now its just trying to NOT buy every New must have mold. Welcome to the site, some real people here eager to help a fellow along & not just at casting boolits.

Cherokee
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Welcome to casting. Its fun and productive.

Bullet Caster
02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits, Mr. Jake. I, too, started casting before reloading. I had a big piece of lead that weighed about 23 lbs. and saved it saying to myself, that I would eventually end up making boolits out of it. I already had a Coleman campstove and I bought a pot off of fleabay, got my 9mm mould and went at it. After about 3 months (enough time for the boolits to harden) I obtained the Lee Breechlock Anniversary Press kit which had everything I needed to start reloading except for the case length guage. My first purchase of dies was for the 9mm carbide 3 die set as I had read that the 4 die sets contained the fourth die which was a factory crimp die which was not needed. I only use the factory crimp die on rifle calibers and not on pistol. However, some do like the FCD for pistol calibers. So I began casting about 3 months before I ever loaded my first round. Have fun and now you're addicted to the hobby. Way back when I first got out of the USMC, I had purchased a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum and got a Lee hand loader and began reloading for it. Then I sold the gun with the reloader. I'm beginning to really miss that pistol. Lol. BC

grizcty
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Welcome from Alaska!

jlchucker
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
If you enjoy shooting you'll enjoy it here. You'll enjoy it even more down the road when you look up some J-word bullet in an online catalog and see what the current prices are. That aside, there's something or other we all learn from this website every day and it's a great bunch of guys here.

mr.jake
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM
thanks for the warm welcome guys. i just counted up all my boolits and the total is 2,214. im really excited to load them but ile hafto wait till i get my press. ile probably get the lee classic turret kit from titanreloading when i have the funds. i cant staind waiting though. but in the mean time i will continue casting. most useful forum on the web so glad i found it! oh and to the fella who mention buying the 3 die at instead of the 4, thats what i plan to do also but thanks for the tip

jlm223
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Welcome, I am new here to, started reloading about three years ago, it has been very rewarding for me, just got into casting, seemed like the right thing to do in a never ending process, that I enjoy immensely.

Grandpas50AE
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Welcome to all you new guys. You will find a wealth of information and folks to help on this site covering a plethora of topics. You will find this to be an addiction if you enjoy shooting and get a special sense of accomplishment out of being self-sufficient.