PDA

View Full Version : Harry M. Pope

RMulhern
02-20-2012, 01:06 AM
For those too young to know:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/08/history-harry-pope.html

6.5 mike
02-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Great read Rick. BTW got a copy of Mann's book you talked about, really enjoying it, Pope's footnotes are great.

HARRYMPOPE
02-20-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm right here!!!!!!!

The story of Popes barrels and Respectfully yours Harry Pope are also good ones on him.

George

Rafe Covington
02-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for posting this, Mr. Pope was a genius.

Rafe

SharpsShooter
02-20-2012, 12:51 PM
As a young child, I recall reading of Pope, his barrels and shooting ability. Re-reading that article brought back the musty smell of the gun magazines and books in my fathers workshop. I'd sit and read for hours, lost in the pages and pages of knowledge.

Good memories. Thanks

SS

TXGunNut
02-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Wow. Awesome read. Thanks Rick!

jblee10
02-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I really enjoyed that article. What a throw back to another age.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-23-2012, 03:05 AM
You would all enjoy reading the stories of "J. M. Pyne" by Lucien Cary, that ran in the Saturday Evening Post so long ago...

Rich

bob208
02-23-2012, 05:30 AM
i have the book of lucien cary's stories. also have the book the story of pope barrels. they are both good reading.

German Salazar
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm glad you guys are enjoying digging through the site, that makes my work on it seem more worthwhile!

Here's one of the Lucian Cary stories, centered on Harry Pope, of course.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/08/secret-of-old-master.html

Hip's Ax
02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm glad you guys are enjoying digging through the site, that makes my work on it seem more worthwhile!

I knew you would show up here eventually. :)

Kenny Wasserburger
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
German,

Welcome, I enjoy your blog. I will be in Phoenix next friday, along with my infamous Shooting pardner for the NMLRA Slug Gun Matches, then will continue on the following week at the Creedmoor Matches hosted by Steve Rhoades.

Kenny Wasserburger

John Boy
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
The old man opened the gun and picked up a steel rod that stood against the bench, and a pledget of absorbent cotton.

Who I learned to use cotton balls from instead of patches ;)

mtnman31
02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
German's site is fantastic. While I am not a Palma shooter, many of his articles are applicable to other areas of shooting and the historical articles are always a good read. I think his blog http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/is without question one of the best on the web. Keep up the good work German.

Hang Fire
02-23-2012, 11:36 PM

Reading about that Ballard was great, action snapping closed as only a well fitted Ballard can, close fitting on a cigarett paper at the breech block/barrel enough to cut the paper, I know that feeling.

I have a JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific in .45-70 with a great bore, early 1XXX SN puts it made circa 1878. (no factory records exist) What was said in the article was about a precision target rifle, but some of it also holds true for my #5 Pacific, which is a hunting rifle.

I found out early on that I am not a good enough marksman to do justice to the rifle's accuracy potential.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010288.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010287.jpg

.22-10-45
02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Hello, everyone. I first came across the Lucian Carey stories in my early high school years. My sister brought books home for me from the downtown library, I just about wore out their copy of Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading..and I didn't even own a firearm yet!
Those stories of J.M. Pyne (H.M. Pope), lit a fire in me for fine work, and fine firearms, that was instrumental in helping me choose my lifes vocation, Tool & Die making.
I had never dreamed of owning a genuine Pope rifle in my lifetime..but a few years ago, that dream came true.
The rifle started out as a basic British BSA 12/15 .22 target rifle.
In the 1930's, it was re-stocked with a goergous piece of English walnut, in the small-bore prone style.
Extensive checkering patterns on both sides and bottom of forend, and on Wunderhammer swelled pistol grip. In front of P.G. on R.H. side, is a small contoured & checkered thumb rest. The lever has been professionally lengthened by a very neat silver soldered finger splice. There is a cylindrical knob mortised on lever end, that has checkering pattern withen a shield on front & rear. Sides are deeply dished, in British style. Pope re-worked the action & trigger..it breaks like a glass rod! Trigger stop installed in guard. The R.H. side of action is cut down for earier loading..exactly as he did on his Winchester High-Wall .22's. Interestingly..the shape of this cut-out area is very close to that of BSA ..which they incorporated on their later rifles. The top of the breech-block has a hole which coresponds with the cleaning hole in rear of action..it blends perfectly into the loading groove. This permits cleaning by merely opening action..the original BSA required the action to be removed from rifle.
The sights are a BSA No. 7, adjustable appature peep, and a Watson globe front, with inserts. Scope blocks on brl.
The 30", 1" at muzzle barrel is match-chambered, with a bright, perfect bore.
On L.H. side, stamped in small neat letters: H.M. Pope, undeside of brl., under forend are his markings and brl. no. as well as the date..April, 1930.
Last year, I did extensive accuracy testing with various brands of ammunition at 50yds & 100yds.
Using Eley & Lapua match, groups at 50yds. were in the .2's & very low .3's
At 100yds. groups were 5/8" to 3/4".
I had an early Lyman Jr. Targetspot 10X mounted..next time out, I will try 20X.
I even put the old shooting coat on & tried prone..this rifle is HEAVY!
Shooting this target rifle crafted by the old master gives one a feeling of great pleasure....and a longing that it could but talk!

gandydancer
02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm right here!!!!!!!

The story of Popes barrels and Respectfully yours Harry Pope are also good ones on him.

George
They restored Harry pope's home in east Hartford ct many years ago it stood empty for so many years. but to go see it you need a busload of armed guards around you its a damn shame. its in an area so bad Cabela's opened a store there abound ten or more years ago and now its getting ready to shut it down lack of sales. people are scared to shop there day time hold ups in parking lot more items stolen then sold. cops wont go in there after dark.

ole pizen slinger
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Harry Pope's catalog:

http://www.pbase.com/halp/harry_pope

gandydancer
02-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Harry Pope's catalog:

http://www.pbase.com/halp/harry_pope
ole pizen slinger. Howdy and thanks. GD

gnoahhh
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Hello, everyone. I first came across the Lucian Carey stories in my early high school years. My sister brought books home for me from the downtown library, I just about wore out their copy of Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading..and I didn't even own a firearm yet!
Those stories of J.M. Pyne (H.M. Pope), lit a fire in me for fine work, and fine firearms, that was instrumental in helping me choose my lifes vocation, Tool & Die making.
I had never dreamed of owning a genuine Pope rifle in my lifetime..but a few years ago, that dream came true.
The rifle started out as a basic British BSA 12/15 .22 target rifle.
In the 1930's, it was re-stocked with a goergous piece of English walnut, in the small-bore prone style.
Extensive checkering patterns on both sides and bottom of forend, and on Wunderhammer swelled pistol grip. In front of P.G. on R.H. side, is a small contoured & checkered thumb rest. The lever has been professionally lengthened by a very neat silver soldered finger splice. There is a cylindrical knob mortised on lever end, that has checkering pattern withen a shield on front & rear. Sides are deeply dished, in British style. Pope re-worked the action & trigger..it breaks like a glass rod! Trigger stop installed in guard. The R.H. side of action is cut down for earier loading..exactly as he did on his Winchester High-Wall .22's. Interestingly..the shape of this cut-out area is very close to that of BSA ..which they incorporated on their later rifles. The top of the breech-block has a hole which coresponds with the cleaning hole in rear of action..it blends perfectly into the loading groove. This permits cleaning by merely opening action..the original BSA required the action to be removed from rifle.
The sights are a BSA No. 7, adjustable appature peep, and a Watson globe front, with inserts. Scope blocks on brl.
The 30", 1" at muzzle barrel is match-chambered, with a bright, perfect bore.
On L.H. side, stamped in small neat letters: H.M. Pope, undeside of brl., under forend are his markings and brl. no. as well as the date..April, 1930.
Last year, I did extensive accuracy testing with various brands of ammunition at 50yds & 100yds.
Using Eley & Lapua match, groups at 50yds. were in the .2's & very low .3's
At 100yds. groups were 5/8" to 3/4".
I had an early Lyman Jr. Targetspot 10X mounted..next time out, I will try 20X.
I even put the old shooting coat on & tried prone..this rifle is HEAVY!
Shooting this target rifle crafted by the old master gives one a feeling of great pleasure....and a longing that it could but talk!

Now that's one I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of. Hint, hint!

gandydancer
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Now that's one I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of. Hint, hint!
come on man lets have some show and tell.. GD