PDA

View Full Version : Hornady RNFP Cowboy Boolits

roarin 54
02-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in loading some bp rounds in my .45 colt revolver. Will the lube on the Hornady swaged lead 255 grain boolits work with black powder or will I have to go with a boolit with with grease grooves and use a suitable black powder lube?

Dragoon 45
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I have shot those bullets when I didn't have any cast available using Trailboss. They are tumble lubed with a smokeless lube. They do not have any lube grooves on them instead using a checkered pattern to hold the lube on the bullet.

They are fine using smokeless, but carry the wrong lube for BP. I would not use them myself with BP as they would probably foul out the weapon in a very few rounds.

With BP, the Lyman 454190 with a good BP lube is what I have found to work the best in my Rugers. It carries plenty of lube.

I'm interested in loading some bp rounds in my .45 colt revolver. Will the lube on the Hornady swaged lead 255 grain boolits work with black powder or will I have to go with a boolit with with grease grooves and use a suitable black powder lube?

NickSS
02-20-2012, 05:38 AM
The only way you could use them is with a lube cookie of BP lube under the bullet. You can load them in a 45 colt easy enough by dropping say 28 to 30 gr of BP add a card wad then lube cookie then a news print wad then the bullet. This will provide enough lube for the bore so as to get more than a few shots before you loose all accuracy and lead plate your bore. A greese groove bullet lubed with BP lube works good too.

cajun shooter
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I would not use the bullet as it will still have the factory lube on it and may cause a mess that will be hard to remove.
I used the 45 Colt in SASS with nothing but BP and fired many types to test the best one for me.
That turned out to be a custom mould bullet made by Hoch moulds that I designed.
The best stock bullets were the Lyman 454190 which is a copy of the original bullet loaded in 1873 and the RCBS 45-230-CM. Both carry enough lube for revolver shooting.
You will need to use a good BP lube like the NASA made by Bullshop, SPG or a homemade version that you may use by pan lubing or in a lube/sizer.
If you decide to commit to it on a full time bases then I would suggest that you have a mould made by Tom at Accurate moulds.

flint45
02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
everybody is right they are not for bp. I tryed em in my ruger not the right lube and definitely not enough. My rcbs 45-255 keith works great with bp better accuracy then some good smokless loads i like.Thirty five grs.fffg goex the smoke and sound are awesome.