PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL Molds

Captain Midnight
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a new Marlin 1894 44 MAG rifle, son is getting a 1911 45 ACP. Both will need feed. How is the group's experience with Lee's TL molds in both 44 and 45? I like the 6-holers and the lack of the need to run through the lube-sizer. Will be using wheel wieghts with a little lino to fill the molds better. Thanks for your input. .................... Captain

Bear4570
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
My son and I use a lot of Lee TL bullets, but we usually avoid using them in autoloaders and stick to lever and bolt rifles and revolvers. Unless you go through the extra step of cleaning the noses after applying the lube, I have found they have a tendency to drag on the feed ramp and cause feeding problems. This is even with a 1911 that I have that will feed an empty case off the mag. They are a great time saver and I have many TL 6 cavity molds that get a work out, but if I have to clean the nose to get reliable feeding, I may as well size and lube, either way, its an extra step.

Scrounger
06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I have a new Marlin 1894 44 MAG rifle, son is getting a 1911 45 ACP. Both will need feed. How is the group's experience with Lee's TL molds in both 44 and 45? I like the 6-holers and the lack of the need to run through the lube-sizer. Will be using wheel wieghts with a little lino to fill the molds better. Thanks for your input. .................... Captain

Haven't used a TL bullet but I expect that aspect to work fine. I tumble lube every cast bullet I shoot, by choice, and these are conventional cast bullets with lube grooves, and they work fine, so the TL design will probably work even better. I expect you to have real good success with the .45 bullets, but Lee has a reputation for turning out undersized bullets and that's going to bite you big time in the Marlin, for they have a reputation for using oversize barrels. Mine requires bullets at least .433 in diameter. I expect your Lee bullets are going to fall out at .429 or thereabouts. I suppose you can "Beagle" a six-banger?

44man
06-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Captain, only one way to answer this is with a picture. In the Marlin, I use the Lee C430-310RF boolit and the group on the left is with LBT Blue lube and is the same size I get with Lee's moly and the tumble lube boolit. The group on the right is the same load but with FWFL. The load is 20.5 grs. of 296, Federal 150 LP primer. In the Ruger SB I increase to charge to 21.5 grs. These were shot at 50 yd's.

Bass Ackward
06-27-2005, 04:28 PM

CM,

The 45 might require you to dust the bullets with motor mica before loading so they doesn't drag on feeding. If not, you get a pass.

But the Marlin needs something else. And that something else is available under the Group Buy section. Just look for 44-250. That is going to be a .434, 6 cavity mold that is taylor made for the Marlin. You can still use LQA as lube if you desire, but you are going to need the diameter.

So don't wait, contact Bill quick.

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 08:37 PM
.............I have an older Lee TL 6 cavity for a 148gr DEWC. The newer TL designs have definate sharp (but small) edged, flat topped ridges. The old one I have does not have this 'edge' sharpness to the bands, ridges, whatever you want to call them. I didn't realize that they had at some point changed the TL design to produce these much more sharp edged bands.

Naturally I didn't take a good hard close look at the cavities with a glass until I was about ready to pull my hair out, because I COULDN'T cast a TL slug like I was used to seeing (newer TL moulds).

I bring all this up to say that the TL 148gr DEWC doesn't shoot as accurately in my K38 Smith as the Lee non tumble lube 148gr WC. And that a newer mould of that design might shoot as well. Then again I might not have hit on the right load for it yet, as I've been out of Bullseye for about a year, and have tried Unique, Red Dot and W231.

However the lessor accuracy is not bad. It's just not the steller results of the regular GG slug. I'm talking bullseye type accuracy, and not dirt clod, tin can, or more casual target work. I cast about 36 pounds of these TL-WC's and have them in a 3 pound coffee can, all lubed and ready to go. When I get some empty brass I'm gonna load a bunch of'em up to have on hand. Kind of grab and go type stuff.

Even if it never equals the accuracy of the regular type slug, its sure good enough to let you know who's fault it is if you miss. It makes very good, fast to produce plinking and practicing ammo that's for sure worthwhile to utilize.

...............Buckshot

Leftoverdj
06-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Captain, I have the Lee 429-255-TL and a Marlin 1894 of mid '70s vintage. That bullet does not shoot worth a whoop past 1100 fps for me. No plain base bullet has, and I have tried a bunch. The Lyman 255 GC SWC shoots very well sized .431 and GCed with full house loads.

David R
06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Used em in my 45 Auto when shooting bowling pins. This was 10 or 15 years ago. 6 cavities, Tumble lube em, and burn a couple hundred in an evening. They were great for that. Since t hen, I had installed a match barrel. They won't fit unless I size them. I now have a 4 cavity Lyman 200 SWC. ALSO one of those 45 BDCM are on order. The TL mold sits.