PDA

View Full Version : Lee pot

45pro
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Should i clean the oil out of my 20# lee pot before i start casting??

ShooterAZ
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Most of it will probably burn off before the lead even melts. I wouldn't worry about it.

snuffy
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
You could, but it won't make any difference. Once it gets hot the oil will burn off with no worries. Cleaning it first will eliminate some possibly foul smelling smoke though. You're not going to get all of it anyway, it's pretty well coated all over it, so it's still going to burn off.

williamwaco
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Waste of time.

If you flux with paraffin, you are just going to add more in.
If you remelt relubed bullets, you are just going to add more in.

And. I know people who use motor oil for flux.
I never tried it but some use it.

The oil will not hurt your pot or your alloy.

THAT SAID:

DO NOT ALLOW OIL TO GET ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR MOLD CAVITIES.

I am a big fan of Bull Plate. I fill the cavities with metal and let it harden and cut off the sprue before applying any lube to any part of the mold. There are lots of threads here on lubricating the mold so I will say no more on that subject.

WD2A7X3
02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
When I got my 4-20 I just wiped it out with a paper towel, nothing intense just a quick couple wipes. Whatever was left just burned off.

The only thing I'd suggest doing with a new pot is lapping the nozzle before using it. You can do it later on, but you need to get it near empty and tip it so the lead hardens out of the way.

45pro
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
what is lapping?

Mk42gunner
02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
When I got my 4-20 I just wiped it out with a paper towel, nothing intense just a quick couple wipes. Whatever was left just burned off.

The only thing I'd suggest doing with a new pot is lapping the nozzle before using it. ...

That's what I did with my new 4-20, and i never had a deluge of lead from it. I did have an occassional drip, but I melted a lot of lead with it.

Robert

Mk42gunner
02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Lapping is using some fine valve grinding compound between the valve rod and seat, to get them to match almost perfectly. This will help make a good seal when the vavle is closed, thereby preventing leaks.

Robert

45pro
02-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Is there a how to? I know nothing about grinding compound or how to go about using it.

runfiverun
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
wipe some on and spin it around.
they sell it at napa for like 7 dollars, it's handy to have for working over small or reluctant molds anyways.

Longwood
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
If you have the 20 pound pot, make sure the rod is lined up exactly with the hole.

Longwood
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
adding weight to my handle also helped.

454PB
02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
I suggest you use the pot for while first, then, if it starts dripping, do the lapping.

I do the lapping without any abrasive. Just remove the lifting linkage, insert the metering rod in a cordless drill, put the rod in place and spin.

Mine needs it about every 200 pounds or so.

williamwaco
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
i suggest you use the pot for while first, then, if it starts dripping, do the lapping.

I do the lapping without any abrasive. Just remove the lifting linkage, insert the metering rod in a cordless drill, put the rod in place and spin.

Mine needs it about every 200 pounds or so.

+1

WD2A7X3
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Toothpaste will work as a poor mans lapping compound but take longer to use. You really don't want to use a cordless drill for the best result. You want to change direction every few spins and lift the rod up and down. This rearranges the grit in the compound and prevents grooves from being cut from just spinning one direction. Doing it the right way you'll get about 1/16" - 1/8" contact surface between the rod and the nozzle that should take forever to develop a leak.

Here's a video to give you an idea. They don't show it but the lapping compound (basilly oil and snadpaper grit) is on the valve seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXsH12Rg6s

ku4hx
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Should i clean the oil out of my 20# lee pot before i start casting??

Nope. At the temperatures the pot will be run, it'll burn off long before your alloy gets near the melting point.

And if you flux with Bee's Wax, bullet lube, candle wax or any other similar substance you'll be putting "oil" right back into it anyway. Even sawdust has some oils in it.