PDA

View Full Version : .30-30 Trailboss?

andym79
02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
I have had a win 94 30-30 for a bit, and finally decided to start reloading for it. Got some Lee equipment, which except the scale I am very happy with.

So I checked the recommended load for .30-30 using Trailboss 6.5 to 9 grains! Using a 165 grain cast projectile.

I loaded up 20 rounds with 7.2 grains I was anticipating ~1000 fps, got only ~850! I don't care about the speed, I wanted light plinking loads for fun, but this was terrible, i must have set a record for the most inaccurate load at the range! The group, if you could call it that was about 2 foot, and all the bullets where tumbling, a couple even hit the target side on!

I assume, this must be due to the bullet achieving insufficient velocity/pressure to stabilize? Any other suggestions?

The barrel was clean! The bullet jump was about .020" and the OAL was 2.524".

I think I am going to try 8.7 grains and if its no better use 4198 (granted for 1500fps) instead!

stubshaft
02-19-2012, 08:12 AM
I am not a fan of TB at all. One of my favorite loads for the 30/30 with a 160gr boolit is 8.0gr of Red Dot. It gives me about 1250 out of a 10" Tender barrel, burns clean and is accurate.

Pb2au
02-19-2012, 08:51 AM
My pet load right now is 8.5 grains of T B under lees 170 grain boolit. It is a great plinking load, pretty accurate to boot.

saz
02-19-2012, 10:49 AM
In my experience TB tends to shoot the best at or near max case capacity.

quilbilly
02-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't even bother to weigh the TB. Just load to at least 90% case capacity or to a level just below the base of the boolit. You want to be able to just hear the powder shake in the loaded case so you know that the powder isn't compressed. That should put you at about 1200 FPS. One easy way is to cut off a 30-30 case at the bottom of the bottleneck and use that as a measuring cup. I use a 45-70 case to get a 95% load in my 338 WM.

runfiverun
02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
that seems like an expensive way to get to 1,000 fps.

geargnasher
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Use the TB for fertilizer and use a real "plinking" powder in your gun, like about 9-10 grains of Unique.

Gear

rfroy
02-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I love TB in my 45 colt and. 357 loads but still on the fence with TB in my Marlin. 8.5g with a 170gr lead bullet gives me 1/2-3/4" groups at 50 yards...sounds good right? At 100 yards I'm not in the same zipcode or state. What I mean is I cant hit a 9" plate. Fresh cardboard back plate shows about an 11" spread. Now with factory Winchester loads I get 4" with open sites so I know my sites are not loose. I will try the same load with jacket bullets next week to see oif there is any difference.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

1Shirt
02-19-2012, 07:48 PM
I have not found any degree of accuracy with T.B. beyond the 25 yd range with any of the rifle loads I have tried it on. It is ok for 25 yd offhand practice but beyond that eh!!!!!
1Shirt!:groner:

SquirrelHollow
02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Find what a 100% load would be, at the OAL you want the bullet seated to.

Reduce by 0.2-0.3 gr, and load away. If that loads is also inaccurate, reduce by 0.3 gr at a time, until you find a sweet spot (or hit 7.0 gr).

There are only two things to worry about with Trail Boss:
1. Don't stick a bullet by reducing loads too far.
2. Don't, under any circumstances, compress it. Trail Boss goes nuts, and becomes completely unpredictable, when compressed.

brnomauser
02-20-2012, 04:04 AM
I got reliable 1.75" groups at 100y with 12 gr TB behind a 85gr RNGC from a lyman mold in my 243. Alloy was 50/50 lino/lead. I'm not sure on the speed, but it was definitely supersonic, about the same as a 22WMR from a 20" barrel

Lizard333
02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
I have tried TB in past and hated it. I'm shooting a 311041 with 29.0 gns of H335 and getting velocities of 2030 FPS. These are not "plinking" loads, but my pre-64 Winchester's love and shoot the more accurately than what I am capable of.

Plinking loads for a rifle IMP seem to be a waste of a projectile. If you are using the rifle for hunting or target you want the same point of aim. Adjusting yours sights or scope back and forth never seemed a worth while venture.

Find a load your rifle likes and stay in the zone. Save the plinking loads for your pistols.

Canuck Bob
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I have tried TB in past and hated it. I'm shooting a 311041 with 29.0 gns of H335 and getting velocities of 2030 FPS. These are not "plinking" loads, but my pre-64 Winchester's love and shoot the more accurately than what I am capable of.

Plinking loads for a rifle IMP seem to be a waste of a projectile. If you are using the rifle for hunting or target you want the same point of aim. Adjusting yours sights or scope back and forth never seemed a worth while venture.

Find a load your rifle likes and stay in the zone. Save the plinking loads for your pistols.

Some valid points but I like to use a mid range for the non-hunting season. My receiver sights adjust quick enough and by far most of my shooting doesn't involve hunting. By working up two loads the switching isn't too bad as twice yearly works ok. I can shoot a 444 loaded down all day, full power is different and for me a recipe for flinching. IMO nothing makes a good hunting shot like shooting the same rifle a lot. For decades my only hunter was my 444.

I also plink a lot in the field. Throwing full power lead around makes me uncomfortable. I like my hunting rifle plinking ammo in the dirt quick.

However I make sure to shoot enough full power ammo to get my internal range finder reset. I also missed my only bragging buck due to loading a prairie chicken load in my 444 by accident. now my mid-range loads are a different bullet (lead soon) and I don't mix ammo when hunting (sure wish I could carry a little 22 handgun here).

Mykos
02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
I've been shooting the 113gr Lee Soupcan boolits over 10gr of TrailBoss. They've been pretty accurate for me at 50m. Definitely a different POI than with regular 170gr full power loads. But I don't mind adjusting my sights for different loads. Williams peep sights are very good for repeatability so I just keep notes in my load diary of how many clicks + or - to set it at.

BCB
02-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Eight grains with the 311041 (173 grains)...Super 14"...1058 fps...

Eight grains with the Lee C309-150F (150+ grains)...Super 14"...1142 fps...

I have tried 9.0 grains with each and the accuracy was not as good...

I use Trail Boss in 9 different cartridges--all with cast boolits...

It is just a "fun" powder. Fills cases to near the base of the boolit...

I agree with accuracy being best at 75 yards or less, but the 7-30 Waters, 30-30 Winchester, and the 270 Winchester are 100 yard shooters...

Yea, one can use Unique, or Red Dot, or other fast burners, but they don't even put a dent in filling the case. If the barrel is tipped forward, all of the powder is against the boolit. Guess it doesn't matter as these fast burners have been used forever with cast, but I just like the full case...

I am on my second 5-pound keg of Trail Boss...

Guess either you like it or you don't...

Good-luck...BCB

Johnny_Cyclone
02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I dip 1.6cc of Trail Boss into a thurdy-thurdy case, and using a good solid crimp in the crimp groove (I think that helps) top it off with the NOE-314-129-FN

I then set the rear sight to max elevation, and it hits a 1 liter bottle over and over at 100 yards. Seemed to hit the same with or without the Gas Checks (it's a gas check mold) so I skip 'em when I load that combo.

That's out of a 16" barrel Winchester 94

The kids really like it... ahem...yes, so do I.

jandbn
02-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Use the TB for fertilizer and use a real "plinking" powder in your gun, like about 9-10 grains of Unique.

Gear
I consider myself your #1 fan. There are few here that can communicate an idea or process as effecitively as you. And thank you for your (and many others) effort helping educate those of us that need it. But....... I am going to have to take offense to "TB for fertilizer"! :)

I had quit handloading and shooting back in 89 and didn't handload and shoot again till 2009. Having "forgot" how to handload properly, I figured I would play it safe and use TB. With needing to "learn" how to handload again, I though I would play it safe and use TB as I couldn't double charge. (After the first batch of handloads with TB, I was back in the swing of things and loaded with H110.)

The moral of my story is others just starting to handload might also benefit with TB loads when first learning this obsession.

p.s.(You are still my numero uno educator:!:)

Ben
02-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Tight groups were being fired with Unique with a variety of cast rifle calibers before many of us were even thought about. It is still a fine powder, ( whether it fills the case or not ).

andym79
02-22-2012, 03:56 AM
A couple of questions as a newbie to reloading.

1) The MAX OAL for aq 30-30 is stated as being 2.550", I have been advised to seat the bullet so it touches the rifling, which would be an OAL of is this okay so long a it feeds from the magazine and will only be used in that rifle?

2) Hodgdon list a max load of 9 grains for a 160 grain cast bullet, I am using a 165 grain bullet. I have made up some 8 and some 9 grain loads to try out. I have again been advised that a 10.5 grain load work well for accurate shooting! Is a 10.5 grain load safe. This is what Hodgdon state on there website

"Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at
this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your
maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!"

But that is 11 grains not 9! I am confused is it safe or not. Extrapolation of pressure leads me to believe a 10.5 grain load would be around 35,000 CUP and the 30-30 is good for ~38,000. However I know that pressure curves are not straight lines and pressure might increase exponentially at a certain point. I am confused!

Would I be better just to use unique if the 9 grains of Trailboss does not work? If so might have to try and sell the 5 lbs I have got!

303Guy
02-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Well, I happen to have a rifle with a rust pit in the neck area of the throat. I can drive a 194gr boolit 2000fps with it's 14 ½" barrel with a casefull of slow powder and the cases slip out easily. With reduced loads of pistol powder, Trail Boss include but not so much, those case necks expand into that rust pit and lock the case. Primer flattening is way less than the 'hot' load. H4227 does not do it even when primer flattening matches the 'hot' load. So something is happening with fast pistol powders 5that we don't normally see and I'm guessing copper crusher measuring doesn't see it either. The two powders concerned were Trail Boss and Clays (AS30N).

By the way, you might not wan't to shoot jacketed's with Trail Boss. I won't mention what makes me say that.[smilie=1:

jdgabbard
02-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Gear

+1 :Bright idea:

andym79
02-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Well I had another go with TB today! I loaded up some 8.2gns and some 9.2gns loads! There was no sign of tumbling at 50 yards at 8.2gns, and I got a couple of 1 1/2" groups at 50 using 9.2gns. So not excellent by any means I wanted to get 5/8 - 3/4" groups at 50 off a bench! But at least know I see hope for TB. One of the guys there was using 10.5gns with the same projectile and getting tight groups at 50 yards, it was blowing out to 4" at a 100 yards though. I don't like groups bigger than 2" at that range!

So I am going to try some more 9.2gn loads and 10gn loads next weekend. I will also try some 4198 loads I think 16gns!

Thanks for the input guys!

sisterjim
09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I have taken on board the comments from Saz and Quilbilly.Thank you. Here is a first reasonable group with TB. It was wet and windy and leaning on a tree with my 50 year old Savage 24. I have peep sights fashioned from brass tube brazed onto old marbles buckhorn. The tupenny telescopic sight went foggy in the driving rain same location a month ago. We get about six weeks solid rain every winter in Tasmania. What muzzle velocity am I getting with 10.5 of TB? Previously tried 7.5 and up in 0.5 increments 4 inch groups at times at 25 yards. This load shows promise will try again at 50 and 75 yards and repost after the rain and wind abate. 115gr Erik HP stops hare and wallaby in one hit. I also have a 311465 Loverin and 311291 to work up possibly over ADI 2207 (4198). Any suggestions for 100 yard loads. JIM

popper
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I've used unique and 2400 with RD165 PB. Neither has given great accuracy. The 100 gr half-jacket plinker works better. I don't use TB as I could only use it for 30-30 plinking and the $ is more. You could try H4895 so you can load lite loads safely or full power with the same powder. I'd sell the TB unless you have another use for it.

Finarfin
09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I thought th was pretty cheap but not terribly accurate. Have to try it in your own rifle. 4227 is also good for light loads.

MikeS
09-22-2012, 12:32 AM
By the way, you might not wan't to shoot jacketed's with Trail Boss. I won't mention what makes me say that.[smilie=1:

Ok, I won't ask what makes you say that. I will ask theoretically what would happen if somebody was to shoot jacketed bullets with Trail Boss. Theoretically of course! :)

Finarfin
09-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok, I won't ask what makes you say that. I will ask theoretically what would happen if somebody was to shoot jacketed bullets with Trail Boss. Theoretically of course! :)

Your testicles would shrivel up and fall off.

jimwill48
09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
The loading data for jacketed is on the website. I have done it in .243, 30/30, 30/06..works well. and most importantly my testicles didn't shrivel up and fall off, lol :-)

marlinman80
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
trail boss is awsome just get rid of the gas check it won't helpat all and is nothing but a problemwith this powder.

dverna
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Trail Boss - a solution looking for a problem.

There are so many better and less expensive options.

They actually are proud to advertise you cannot double charge and get an unsafe load. Yep - dummy down the reloading process and "encourage" a lack of attention and care.

I am with Gear on this. He is usually right anyway.

blixen
10-10-2012, 12:42 AM
In my 30-30 336, I've used 2400 and Unique for plinker loads with good results. A friend enthusiastically recommended I try TB.

Last weekend, I bought some and loaded up some J bullets, 150gr. Hornady spire points, that I got from a clearance table with 10 grains of TB. No crimp.

I didn't have a chance to try them at 100 yards, but with a scope, on the Marlin and a good rest, they shot into less than an inch at 50 yards. which to me is way good. I'm reserving judgement until I shoot a lot more especially at 100 yards with TB.

I about to start looking for a CB mold/load for the micro-groovy Marlin and thought I'd get a base line with J-words.

(It might hurt my head to calculate the cost difference between TB loads and Unique 8-9 grain loads, but would be curious to know.)

Before someone calls me to task about spire points in a lever action: I put 1 in the chamber, 1 in the magazine--which is plenty for hunting jack rabbits and paper targets.

PAT303
10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Trail Boss - a solution looking for a problem.

There are so many better and less expensive options.

They actually are proud to advertise you cannot double charge and get an unsafe load. Yep - dummy down the reloading process and "encourage" a lack of attention and care.

I am with Gear on this. He is usually right anyway.

So you've never made a mistake reloading?,must be hard being perfect. Pat

Lance Boyle
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I tried it with my first .38 level .357 loads. I was unimpressed with the accuracy at 25 yards. I will use it up and not replace it.

dverna
10-12-2012, 09:25 PM
So you've never made a mistake reloading?,must be hard being perfect. Pat

I have never double charged a load and have ways to avoid that. If you prone to making that kind of mistake, I offer these three options.

First, and my preferred method, is to use an auto-indexing progressive press and to pay attention. You can also use a powder check die or visually check the cases as they index. This is how I load all pistol.

Second, if you are using a single stage press, is to use a powder measure to drop your charge and then IMMEDIATELY seat the bullet without taking the case out of your had. This should insure you cannot double charge. This is how I load rifle cartridges. If this does not work, either find another hobby, or go to the next "solution". :(

The last option is to use Trail Boss and give yourself a good scolding if you get powder all over the place when you dump the second charge. And if you do that a lot, you should try to determine why you are having problems. :-?

It is hard to be perfect but that is my goal and it should be yours. If you do not strive for perfection you will have poor performance at the very least, and a gun in pieces at the worst. I have seen the results of the later and they are not pretty. :cry:

Don

sledgehammer001
10-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I bought 2 cans of TB when it first hit the market. tried it in 41 Spcl loads in my 41 Mag Blackhawk. I STILL have 1 1/2 cans left. That's my answer :)

Canuck Bob
11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm one of those folks who takes simple precautions. One of them is to load such that any double charge overflows the case. I don't need advice on why that makes me less of a reloader or how to be as proficient as someone else who choses another method.

I am working with TB and SR4759 because they suit my personal choices. I've been around long enough to know just because some powder does or doesn't work for one person's rifle it automatically does the same in every other rifle.

quilbilly
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I tend to prefer 5744 for my CB loads in my 30/30 but recently tried a 95% load of TB and got 1350 fps with the 160 gr rngc. For accuracy, it shot fine. As others have noted, I have also only gotten good results with TB at at or near full capacity charges.

Lizard333
11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I tend to prefer 5744 for my CB loads in my 30/30 but recently tried a 95% load of TB and got 1350 fps with the 160 gr rngc. For accuracy, it shot fine. As others have noted, I have also only gotten good results with TB at at or near full capacity charges.

What is your 5744 costing you? I just bought a pound for 33$. Seemed high. I got great results with it and a 311299 boolit and a savage rifle.

quilbilly
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Paid $29 for an extra # of 5744 a couple weeks back. It is somewhat expensive but since the loads for it are smaller, it all evens out with such rifle powders as 3031 etc. Of course it is much more expensive than Unique per load since the charges for Unique are so small (10-12 gr). 5744 is also hard to come by at times which is why I keep an extra can around. I also like it in my 338 WM and my 444 for CB's in either.

mannyCA
11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
8 grains TB with a .003+ 170gr RNFP, MOA is a 10" steel plate at 100 yrds. Shoots like a .22 out of my '94, perfect for my 80lb 9 yr old to shoot, and gives him the satisfaction of hearing a plink.

quilbilly
11-11-2012, 01:52 AM
A good rule of thumb for TB in almost any caliber is that a full or 95% capacity charge will get you about 60% of the velocity of a factory load with the same weight jacketed bullet. For instance, if a factory 30/30 with a 150 grain bullet is about 2400 fps, then a 95% TB load behind a 150 gr CB will be approximately 1400 fps. In my case, I no longer weigh my TB charges, I do them by volume and I have had little success going below 80% for accuracy. TB is interesting to work with because with all the other powders I use, I use charge weights.

CT-shooter777
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
The whole point to Trail Boss is Bulk. 70% of a full case..........

If your inclined to use Unique or 2400, both great reduced powders,

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=27114

Download the 1937 manual complete.

It's all there, knock yourself out.

PAGE 375..................

Why re-invent the wheel..................................

pakmc
11-14-2012, 01:13 PM
15 gr.s of TB fills up a .303 case and doesn't seem to be very accurate. I've tried 17 gr.s in a .308 and that's not very accurate. and TB in a straight bolt Styer is a not a winner either. but I've got a 8lb carboy of Accurate number 9 and that works very well. 21 gr.s of #9 in a polytech M-14 is pretty accurate and works the action(175or so gr. lead gas check) 15-17 gr.s of #9 in 7.5x55, and 20 gr.s of #9 in a 8mm Mauser. the styers seem to like 17 gr.s of #9(I just got scout mount scopes on them and haven't really had to good shoot yet with them.)why? Accurate #9, because My supply of unique is kinda low and I've got 8 lb.s of #9 to play with. and its very close to 2400. most of my bullets cast out around 180gr.s but the styers are around 200 gr.s all are gas checks. anyone have a good gas check for a .330 bullet???
pat

DukeInFlorida
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Here's Hodgdon's direct link for the sheet, showing you how to best effectively use TrailBoss Powder!

www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20Boss%20Reduced%20Loads%20R&P.pdf

When used to this specification, the powder can be effective at reducing recoil, and at the same time, maintain accuracy.

I suggest that those who haven't ever actually tried TrailBoss to it's FULL potential, give it a go. I use a LOT of TrailBoss on large caliber sizes, and love shooting it.

sthwestvictoria
11-16-2012, 04:02 AM
This is my attempt with trailboss in the 30-30. The rifle is a Marlin 336 with MG barrel. As per the discussion in the link I have been trying to get it to shoot and am getting there with large for bore boolets and also light for calibre Lee TL314-90-SWC. Best results so far is with 7.0 grains TrailBoss.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=169813&highlight=TL314-90-SWC

I have found that Trailboss is such a bulky powder, even with a full case I am getting a good deal of drop with the 150grain Lee 309-150-FP as there is insufficient velocity. However the light 90grainSWC seems to work well. Still lots of experimenting to do!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_20993508f9d587622e.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7217)

PAT303
11-16-2012, 05:11 AM
My No.4 will put 5 316365 spitzers into 1/2 at 50 with 12grns of TB,my '94 winny will put 5 311466's into 2'' all day at 100 over 10grns of TB.I use TB alot and once you work out what it likes it's a great powder,very safe also. Pat

sthwestvictoria
11-16-2012, 05:20 AM
Good point Pat. I suppose I should correct myself - if you want the point of impact to be anywhere near a full house factory equivalent point of impact my experience is that Trailboss does not have enough punch at 50metres.

I believe that with more energetic powders like 2400 and unique people get groups at shorter ranges that are a better analogue of their full house loads.

With trailboss 10 grains in my .243 Win Model 70 it will place the 70grain jacketed into a half inch group at 50metres, 5 inches below the full house loads. The grouping is great but there is that significant drop, even at short distances. Don't get me wrong I love Trailboss and still have plenty of plans with it. I think I was expecting too much of it with heavier boolits is all.

sthwestvictoria
11-16-2012, 07:12 AM
This is a picture of the Lee TL314-90-SWC, sized to .311, twice lubricated with LLA/mineral spirits. Larry Gibson on this forum is a proponent of this in all .30 calibre rounds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_2099350a61f7e90364.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7467)

The main difficulty I have with loading this is that with the Lee bullet seating die, even when dialled right down this Lee die will not seat the short SWC. I have been getting around this by standing the primed, powdered case in a .303 Lee Loader base and using a .308 Lee Loader Bullet seater (i do not as yet own a 30-30 Lee Loader). Slow but does work. Any other suggestions for seating this very short for calibre boolit?

This short boolit, seated as above feeds flawlessly in my pre-64 Win 94 and a Marlin 336.

sisterjim
11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I tried AP 100, a bit slower than TB. I have some 311465 acww GC'ed (125gr) and shot 2" groups at 50 yards 7.5-9 grains in 0.5 increments. Unburnt powder in barrel until 8.5. I will load up to 11 gr and let you now the results. I figure I'm getting around 1400 fps.

sthwestvictoria
11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Trailboss seems to be clean burning with no unburnt grains that I have seen at various loadings. I have read that AP100 will need a crimp or fair loading to burn fully.

One benefit with the Trailboss and these slow, well lubricated rounds is the lack of barrel cleaning required. I have been treating my marlin MG and Win 94 ballard rifles like 22LR and not cleaning. The bores are lovely - you could clean them easily with a couple of patches if you want however like a 22LR there is a slight layer of wax and soot that seems protective.

PAT303
11-16-2012, 09:03 PM
This is a picture of the Lee TL314-90-SWC, sized to .311, twice lubricated with LLA/mineral spirits. Larry Gibson on this forum is a proponent of this in all .30 calibre rounds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_2099350a61f7e90364.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7467)

The main difficulty I have with loading this is that with the Lee bullet seating die, even when dialled right down this Lee die will not seat the short SWC. I have been getting around this by standing the primed, powdered case in a .303 Lee Loader base and using a .308 Lee Loader Bullet seater (i do not as yet own a 30-30 Lee Loader). Slow but does work. Any other suggestions for seating this very short for calibre boolit?

This short boolit, seated as above feeds flawlessly in my pre-64 Win 94 and a Marlin 336.

I've shot that boolit in the 303 alot,I used a longer seater that I machined down so it drops further through the die.It's a good cheap kids load that I use after they have shot the 22,the lyman 311413 over 10grns of TB is another,it has the benefit of being able to be cycled through the action so they learn how to crank the bolt. Pat

Fishman
11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
The first metallic cartridge reloading my son attempted (with supervision)was using Trailboss. Just one less thing for me to worry about as I taught him the basics. All his loads went bang and were safe and many cans were ventilated. Maybe I'm easy to please or maybe there really is a place for Trailboss.

PAT303
11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Totally with you,to the knockers of TB the safety alone is worth it. Pat

1bluehorse
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Gear I'm surprised you'd say such a thing. :razz:...Trail Boss is okay for what it was designed for....(Poof...................................thu unk) my wife enjoys shooting it in her practice 357s...also, just me maybe, but I don't consider 9 or 10 gr. of Unique as "plinker" loads. I'd consider them as max in Colts or clones and medium in Rugers with 250 and above grain bullets..so maybe I'm a girlie man (no ones ever called me that to my face) but my walking around load for my Ruger 45 colts IS 9gr. Unique, if I want a little more I change powders...:Fire:

muskeg13
11-22-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm working up loads with a .303 Savage, which is the near twin of the 30-30 Win. The most accurate cast boolit load so far is the 180gr RCBS RFN with 11 gr of Trailboss. I got sub 1" at 50 yards. It was mild and shot to exactly the point of aim. I used the standard formula for working up a load based on case volume. 10 gr of Trailboss seemed too weak. The Hodgdon reloading website lists 9.0 as max recommended with Trailboss in the 30-30, so I'd carefully increase the load and see what you get.

Doc Highwall
11-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I have noticed in the loading manuals that Trailboss has about the lowest velocity and the highest pressure. I think it would work great but you have to have a harder alloy due to the higher pressure.

Lately I have been shooting the SAECO#315 that I made into a plain base bullet mould with Unique powder. The 1885 Winchester (Browning) that I am shooting it out of with 30:1 alloy likes the Little Dandy #14 rotor, which throws 7.6 grains of Unique best.

Alferd Packer
02-10-2021, 11:22 PM
so many only try one load and either hate or love it.
These loads need to be worked up and down.
The bullets seated in or out.
So much more to work with.
I say many just aren't trying enough

FredBuddy
02-11-2021, 04:42 PM
There was at least one comment in the
above posts that mentioned lighter for
calibre boolits worked better with TB.
I find this true in my 30-30's. I mostly
use the 3118 Ideal and the NOE 127 gr
plain bases, powdercoated, and they are
good short range multi-purpose loads
for anything in rural North Central Ohio.

Good to see this thread resurrected

02-11-2021, 05:34 PM
165grain Missouri Bullet Co, Hi TeK Coating/Trail Boss 9.5/Federal LR/crimped in crimp groove/ average velocity =1020fps on a 75F day/SD=17/five shots fired, decent accuracy at 50yds, 1 inch group with a Winchester 94 Trapper (16” barrel)

mvozz
02-13-2021, 03:15 PM
Trail Boss is one of my favorite powders. 30-30, 357, 44 mag 45-70 even 22 Hornet. I hated how dirty my brass came out due to the low pressure of Unique loads. The ability to have high pressure and low velocity keeps my brass cleaner and has my 5'2" wife loving plinking with the 30-30. 14 grains behind a 405 gr boolit in the 45-70 puts down deer in a hurry but is very easy on the shoulder. Do I use other powders? Yes but few are as fun to shoot. I shoot more for the fun of it rather than long range accuracy and bragging rights. A big container of 30-30 rounds loaded with Trail Boss, a dueling tree at 50 yards, two 30-30s and two friends is almost too fun to be legal! I found a Sportsman's Warehouse with an 8lb jug on sale for $99. I bought it and a week later they had another one, now I have 2!!

BCB
02-14-2021, 05:55 PM
Trail Boss is one of my favorite powders. 30-30, 357, 44 mag 45-70 even 22 Hornet. I hated how dirty my brass came out due to the low pressure of Unique loads. The ability to have high pressure and low velocity keeps my brass cleaner and has my 5'2" wife loving plinking with the 30-30. 14 grains behind a 405 gr boolit in the 45-70 puts down deer in a hurry but is very easy on the shoulder. Do I use other powders? Yes but few are as fun to shoot. I shoot more for the fun of it rather than long range accuracy and bragging rights. A big container of 30-30 rounds loaded with Trail Boss, a dueling tree at 50 yards, two 30-30s and two friends is almost too fun to be legal! I found a Sportsman's Warehouse with an 8lb jug on sale for $99. I bought it and a week later they had another one, now I have 2!!

I didn't know TB came in 8-pound jugs

When this thread started and I posted, about 9 years ago to the date, I purchased two 5-pound containers

The canisters that looks like they should be one pound-containers are only 9 ounces--tricky

Maybe that has all changed

I still have 6-7 pounds of the original stuff of 9 years ago

Good-Luck...BCB