PDA

View Full Version : First club MLer shoot.

JeffinNZ
02-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Team.

The club I belong to has never had a MLer/BP format. In reality the 100m benchrest range just does not lend itself to offhand smokepole shooting.

A few years back however the club starting constructing a 10m tall bund on the trap/skeet range to be sure the fall of shot is contained on the site. The bund lends itself perfectly to MLer shooting and today we had our first shoot. 25 and 50m offhand. What a great day.

I run the shoots and will continue to do so. Targets were novelty/animal types but one 50m Vetterli 13 shot match. Only 8 shooters this time but I am confident it will grow. Here are some shots from today:

Gill and myself after targets stapled up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/GilandJeff.jpg

Yours truly letting fly with my .40cal Wesson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Jeff.jpg

Some of the local patch chewing, powder sniffing reprobates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Ray_Gill_Warwick_Phil.jpg

The frames we are shooting through are the skeet 'cages' used on the range to control the extremes to which shooters can swing onto a target. I added the wooden bar across the top to limit the height a rifle can be raised to keep muzzles below the top of the 33 foot bund.

Ajax
02-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Looks like big fun, Jeff. Love to see ranges doing shoots like this.Grats on the first hope there are many more in Y'alls future.

Andy

451 Pete
02-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Jeff ,
It looks like your off to a great start. Your choice of shooting novelty targets also is a good one. Make it fun and they will keep coming back.

take care .... Pete

DIRT Farmer
02-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Jeff, looks like targets every where behind your targets. I love to shoot targets that break or fall over.

Boerrancher
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Jeff, Great job on getting a ML shoot up and going. It looks like a great time. Good idea on the targets. The more fun folks have, the more friends they will bring with them next time. I have been trying to talk my buddy who is the events chairman at the local club he needs to start a ML shoot. Maybe next year I will get him talked into it. Once again congrats on a successful shoot, and my you have many more my friend,

Best wishes,

Joe

JeffinNZ
02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. I am a big fan of the novelty targets also and especially gongs. We have a bit of work to do before gongs can go in as our facility has a zero template. That means that absolutely no fall of shot beyond our boundaries which are not huge. Any gongs will need to be surrounded by material to catch the projectiles, up, down and sideways.

It's always good to have a mix of targets I find. The 13 shot Vetterli is always popular and we have a good mix. One member, the big guy shooting left handed, runs MLer shoots also and is giving us his running boar rig. Basic piggy shaped gong on pulleys running down a fencing wiring line. I would stand and shoot that baby ALL day. Love it.

waksupi
02-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Jeff, I posted a question in another thread. A friend of mine will be in New Zealand in mid March for a stag hunt. He will be using his .80 caliber flintlock. What can I say, he likes big bores?!!
He will be landing in Christchurch. He needs to know where he can get some black powder, and if GOEX is available? If not, what brands are available? Would he have problems buying it as a non-resident, or should his guide purchase it for him ahead of time?

JeffinNZ
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
PM sent for Crazy Jeff's Pyro and Powder Supply Co.

dualsport
02-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Well done Jeff. How about a closeup of that Wesson .40? Would a gong at the end of a pipe or tube be enclosed enough?

Tertle
02-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Tell them of the tale of the snider that patterns jeff[smilie=l:

JeffinNZ
02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Here is the lock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Wessonlock2.jpg

Here is the hare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Hare.jpg

Not the correct foreend tip but I will fix that one day.

Oh yes. So Tertle has this .577 Snider carbine. Ugly as sin. Pride of the Imperial oppressors. Anyways, he was pouring directional fire down the range on our dummy run on the range due to undersized Lee Minies he was using. I suggested he paper patch them and immediately the "patterns" turned into "groups". Certainly minute of native tribesman.....

Tertle
02-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh yes. So Tertle has this .577 Snider carbine. Ugly as sin. Pride of the Imperial oppressors. Anyways, he was pouring directional fire down the range on our dummy run on the range due to undersized Lee Minies he was using. I suggested he paper patch them and immediately the "patterns" turned into "groups". Certainly minute of native tribesman.....

Ugly as sin, thats harsh, ive lost weight!

Boerrancher
02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Holy ****!!! That is a big freaking rabbit. Two of them would feed my whole family for at least one meal. We only have those little cottontails that only get a few pounds in size. It takes a dozen of them fried up or in a sew to feed my kids. I need to figure out how to get a bunch of them over here and running wild. It would save me money just in ammo alone.

Best wishes,

Joe

felix
02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Joe, that's a Texas rabbit, don't cha' know! ... felix

Boerrancher
02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Texas sized rabbit maybe, but I have been in Texas many times and have never seen a rabbit that big. Thanks for making me laugh this morning Felix, it was a long pain filled night with the storm front moving through, so I didn't sleep. Your post was a nice pick me up.

Best wishes

Joe

MaxJon
03-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Well done Jeff, I am going to do the same thing at my pistol club. Some shoot rifles in conjunction with 50m pistol, but its only a fun match, no prizes or club champ points. Most smokepole shooters at the club are keen to make it more official. I am yet to contact the association to see what they think.