PDA

View Full Version : Hoppe's #9

02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Kind of a general question: Can anybody tell me if Hoppe's #9 solvent will clean the corrosive elements of old ammo? I've always used hot soapy water followed by oil, but a friend just came into a case of 1942 Military Ball and I was wondering. He has Hoppe's.

Echo
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I would be leery of using Hoppe's. It has penetrating characteristics that will probably let it get into the powder - not a good thing.

Dan Cash
02-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Stay with the hot, soapy water to kill the salts from the ammo. Once dry, the Hoppe's is great for metal fouling and protecting the bore.

Longwood
02-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Kind of a general question: Can anybody tell me if Hoppe's #9 solvent will clean the corrosive elements of old ammo? I've always used hot soapy water followed by oil, but a friend just came into a case of 1942 Military Ball and I was wondering. He has Hoppe's.

Someone p'd too much.:D:kidding:

geargnasher
02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Stay with the hot, soapy water to kill the salts from the ammo. Once dry, the Hoppe's is great for metal fouling and protecting the bore.

My thinking too. Potassium Chloride is a byproduct from corrosive primers and is the same thing found in Nu-Salt and other food salting substitutes. It's water soluble, not oil soluble.

I would add a coat of oil as well, Hoppe's isn't the best corrosion inhibitor.

Gear

Shooter6br
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
But it smells great Need too make it in an after shave( I might shave my beard for that! LOL)

Haggway
02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
I asked a Gal pal of mine to wear it as perfume once. The answer was no, and your really strange.

stubshaft
02-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Gear and Dan are right on the money. Using Hoppes only will make great smelling rust.

22Short
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
When you get gun cleaning solvent all over your hands (I bet we all do) and its time for lunch, try some automotive hand cleaner first. I like the kind made from oranges. It works. No solvent smell. Much better than hand soap!

dale2242
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
The 7.62X54R site recommends Hoppes#9 to clean a gun after using corrosive ammo.
Some are saying the #9 formula has changed and not to use it.
I have been cleaning first with windex, to kill the corrosive salts in the priming, drying the bore/gun and cleaning with Shooters Choice.
Irecently bought Shooters Choice "Aqua Clean" water based cleaner.
It is supposed to kill the corrosive salts and clean the carbon and copper fouling, all at the same time.
I haven`t tried it yet but it sounds promising. I enjoy shooting my Milsurp rifes with old Milsurp ammo...dale

MtGun44
02-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Use Windex with Vinegar (YES, it is real) on two or three wet patches after shooting corrosive
ammo, exp easy when the bore is still warm, wipe the bolt face with a wet patch and then a couple
with Hoppe's #9 and you will be fine.

I've been using this for years with various comblock corrosive ammo in numerous rifle
and it works well.

Bill

ElDorado
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I use hot soapy water followed by a good oil for corrosive primers and black powder. I mean oil, not cleaning solvent.

But it smells great Need too make it in an after shave( I might shave my beard for that! LOL)

Maybe you need one of these-

http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_air_freshener.html

fatnhappy
02-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I use hot soapy water followed by a good oil for corrosive primers and black powder. I mean oil, not cleaning solvent.

I had one in my van until I got a ticket for it. I was ticketed for "obstructed vision."
The judge fined me $10
http://theconsumerlink.com/imagesEdp/HOPPES/p125852b.jpg

DCM
02-18-2012, 10:28 PM

I like that! I would buy some if they were reasonably priced, But$8???? Nope

Maybe just a hint of it somewhere out of the sun in my car instead.

DCM
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
A little off topic, but a friend of mine says it works great as MIL repellent for him.

palmettosunshine
02-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Hoppe's #9 works very well as wife repellant too. All I have to do is break it out on the dining room table and POOF, wife and child are gone. Smells like Saturdays with Dad to me.

02-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks to all. I guess it was the 7.62x54 site info that got me thinking. A cursory look at the Hoppe's web site wasn't helpful. I'm not changing my procedure and will recommend not using the Hoppe's alone to clean the rifle.

Ozarklongshot
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Worked as a wife attractant for me:-D
If I'm in the shop cleaning guns, my wife can smell it in the house and will generally come to the shop with a couple of her handguns to clean right with me. She often brings a big glass of sweet tea and we have a good time cleaning guns. Life is good:happy dance:

303Guy
02-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Hoppes has always seemed to prevent corrosion for me. I don't actually clean my guns, I just run a bore brush dipped in the stuff through the bore and leave it. I repeat the procedure before using the gun again but followed by a dry patch. And it gets pretty wet in my parts. Hoppes works on the outside of the gun too. Then again, I don't recall when I last fired corrosive primers or do I? Actually I do but those were followed by modern primers.

3006guns
02-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Hoppe's #9 was formulated back when corrosive primers were the norm and was DESIGNED to reduce (not eliminate) "after rust" in rifle bores. It worked very well for many years IF the shooter cleaned the gun over a period of several days. Hatcher's notebook gives the forumla and an evaluation of its perfomance. If I remember, he stated that it had an aquious base which aided in removing primer salts.

Things have changed though. I noticed that Hoppe's simply doesn't smell the same any more so they've changed something and I wouldn't trust it beyond removing copper fouling. I'd still go with hot water/soap/rinse/oil after using known corrosive ammo.

A pity really. The smell of the OLD Hoppe's forumula brings back memories of camping and shooting as a kid. I'd love to find an unopened bottle from say, the 1960's, just to sniff it once in a while!

The old bottles are easy to spot. Just look at the label.....if it says "for cleaning pistols, rifles and SUBMACHINE GUNS" it's the old formula.

Philngruvy
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Worked as a wife attractant for me:-D
If I'm in the shop cleaning guns, my wife can smell it in the house and will generally come to the shop with a couple of her handguns to clean right with me. She often brings a big glass of sweet tea and we have a good time cleaning guns. Life is good:happy dance:

You are a lucky man!

02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah, the smell of it conjures up great memories of Dad, learning to shoot, hunting, campfires, my first .22, and so much more.

Thanks for the info about the change in formula. Will act accordingly.

lavenatti
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Why not use hot soapy water?

It gets most of the grime out. It's a lot cheaper than Hoppes.

I usually need a lot fewer solvent soaked patches after a scrubbing with Hot soapy water.

3006guns
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
You're gonna love this....my old, wise mentor and I were discussing the effects of corrosive primers and he gave me some "Army advice" from WAAAYYYY back...

"Every man is equipped with adequate cleaning solution in the field. For lack of anything else, remove the bolt and p*** down the barrel. There's less salt in your urine than in the primers. That'll hold it 'til you can get proper cleaning gear".

Conjurs up quite a mental picture at the range, doesn't it? And who says shooting and beer don't belong together?? :)

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Windex does the same as hot soapy water, MUCH easier. Keep a $2.50 bottle on the
cleaning bench, or better, take it with you to the range. Push 3 patches wet with "Windex
with vinegar" through the still warm bore, wipe one on the bolt face. Then push one
or two with Hoppes or your favorite oil and you are done cleaning up from corrosive
ammo. A bottle will last for years.

Bill

30cal
02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Ive had good luck with sweets 7.62 solvent,the ammonia smell sucks but the results r good

ElDorado
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
You're gonna love this....my old, wise mentor and I were discussing the effects of corrosive primers and he gave me some "Army advice" from WAAAYYYY back...

"Every man is equipped with adequate cleaning solution in the field. For lack of anything else, remove the bolt and p*** down the barrel. There's less salt in your urine than in the primers. That'll hold it 'til you can get proper cleaning gear".

Conjurs up quite a mental picture at the range, doesn't it? And who says shooting and beer don't belong together?? :)

In our shop, half the guys can't even hit the urinal. How are they gonna hit a 30 caliber hole?

.22-10-45
02-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Hello, everyone. I was at a quality antique arms show a few years back. Gary Quinlan had table there, with his usual gorgeous single-shot goodies. I was examining a 6 1/2 Rigby Ballard, re-barreled & worked by Peterson of Denver, around 1916. This was in .22 long rifle with an absolute bright perfect bore..even the grooves in front of chamber were bright & shiny! I commented to Gary, how someone back in those highly corrosive days of rimfire priming must have used a water wash each time the rifle was used.
He said no, just plain o'l Hoppes. In one of the cased Stevens sets, there was indeed a cork stoppered bottle of Hoppes solvent.
I think the secreat was repeated cleaning over several days..probably flushing out salts more than anything.
Oh, that original Hoppes smell? It was the Nitro Benzene that the EPA forced them to remove.
But all is not lost! Bruno Shooters Supply adds the N.B. to current Hoppes & that wonderful smell is there again!

leadman
02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Hard to scan a round bottle, but it does say it removes corrosive primer fouling and residue. I have used it for that with no problems.
I also wet the bore with it before putting the gun away and run another wet then dry patch before firing.
It contains kerosene which is a very good penetrating oil.
I don't scrub a bore much anymore. I clean with Hoppe's mostly. Wet the bore, come back in awhile, run another wet patch thru, repeat as needed.
Have been using the foaming cleaners more because of the number of muzzle brakes I have now.

Had to take a picture, the scan was too large.