PDA

View Full Version : 43 Spanish mould?

idahoron
02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I have the RCBS .44-370-FN. In the midway catalog it is also called the 44 cal,11 mm. The bullets come out .446"
I need to find the ballistic coefficient for this bullet. With the lead I am using the bullets are 405 grains. Thanks, Ron

looseprojectile
02-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I have cast .439" for the Spanish, and for the German 11mm the mould casts
.446".
I use the Spanish boolit to paper patch for the 71 84 Mauser.
You need to splain how knowing the BC can be any advantage in shooting a short range large caliber iron sighted rifle. Short range as in. I can't see very far.
Short range as in 200 yards maximum.
I am not trying to be contrary here, I am hoping you know something that can help some.
Just guessing and interpolating I would think .290 -- .300 BC.
Lyman has numbers for their boolits.
The Hornady third edition reloading manual has nearly half of the book dedicated to ballistic tables. I have never found a single instance where I could use that information.

Life is good

idahoron
02-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I am trying to figure out the Foot Pounds of energy for the load. I am paper patching it for my muzzleloader. That bullet is shooting very nicely out of my rifle. Wanting the FPE is just academic at this point. I used .225 after looking at the info on lee for the 457-405-F. But I think it would be higher than .225 maybe not. It is a good shooting bullet. The first two 100 yard groups were 1.6" and 1.09". Yes I am going to use this under 200 yards for hunting. For target I will try it as far as I can. Ron

looseprojectile
02-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I can see the method to your madness now.
A few foot pounds error or even a hundred or two makes little difference. Those large meplat square base boolits are like shooting a parachute. That is really good shooting. What gun?
I have an Armsport Hawken in 54 caliber flint and a cabellas percussion Hawken in 58. They do shoot parachutes.
Should be enough energy for any tyranasarus in this neck of the woods. 45 is quite a bit lighter.
Do your measuring of the naked boolits as the paper is gone at the muzzel.
My .357 and .44 leverguns with some loads sometimes have six inches more drop at a hundred yards compared to fifty and those go a lot faster than front stuffer boolits.
Good luck finding something to shoot.

Life is good

idahoron
02-19-2012, 02:58 PM
This is the gun it is a TC Hawken with a Green mountain 1-30 stainless barrel. It has Lyman 57SML peep sights and a Lyman 17 AML globe sight with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts. The rainbow trajectory is not a problem. The Lyman sight is a instantly adjustable sight. If the shot is 100 set the sight for 100. If the shot is 150 set it for 150. In all cases you set the sight and hold dead on. Here is a picture of the gun and the groups. On the first group I wanted to see how many shots without cleaning I could get before the group opened up. The first three shots were 1.6". Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Hawken1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBS11mmgroup1-1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/RCBS11mmgroup2.jpg