PDA

View Full Version : Coating cast bullets ?

PDshooter
03-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Have any of you ever coated your cast bullets, besides using lube. It was just a thought [smilie=1:

imashooter2
03-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Coated... you mean like Rooster Jacket, Lee Liquid Alox or Molybdenum Disulfide on top of lube in the grooves?

buck1
03-17-2007, 11:53 PM
I did something like that with Jhonsons liquid wax and my lube in the groves. Its not even a wax but a plastic of some kind. It got me another 200fps over my lube alone. No build up I can detect.

shooting on a shoestring
03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I carry a speedloader in my pocket. It has 5 .357s with Lyman 358091. I've wondered about coating the exposed lead with finger nail polish or something to encapsulate the lead to keep it off my keys, hands etc...

I've got some Johnson's wax, but I doubt it would stay on more than a day or two of carry.

Ricochet
03-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Johnson's Paste Wax is pretty flaky. Doesn't stay on well at all when dried. It's better with some Lee Liquid Alox mixed in. Gooey and creamy when "wet" wiith the solvent, but gets pretty tough when dry. Still, I don't think it'd stay on in pocket carry.

buck1
03-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I carry a speedloader in my pocket. It has 5 .357s with Lyman 358091. I've wondered about coating the exposed lead with finger nail polish or something to encapsulate the lead to keep it off my keys, hands etc...

I've got some Johnson's wax, but I doubt it would stay on more than a day or two of carry.

The key word here is "LIQUID". Its not the same as the paste wax. In fact its not wax at all ,as far as I can tell.
I needed a lube on the nose of a boreride that would be dirt free and still lube a little. It acts like clear paint or something, Very durable.
It was just something I tryed and for once, something did indeed seem to work out. >>>>>>>>>Buck