PDA

View Full Version : Casting weather just won't cooperate

palmettosunshine
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't ask for much on a day off. A cool, breezy day with no rain in sight so I can cast some boolits. The weather just won't work with me for the last several months. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the winter we're having here on the SC coast, but it's hard to gear up to cast when it's 70 degrees and sunny. Or, I have the opposite problem, rain. I don't cast inside so I'm at the mercy of the weather. Guess what the forecast is for my next day off (Sunday)? Rain. Rain and even more rain. Guess I'll stay in and clean my pocket carry piece....

btroj
02-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I cast in the garage, weather is never an issue.

letsmeltlead2693
02-17-2012, 11:21 PM
My dad would never let me melt lead in the garage. He thinks it will burn down the house and the insurance won't cover it if the house burns down from me melting lead. How can I convince him otherwise? I have an idea for ventilation so the ventilation is not an issue. I am only allowed to melt lead outside.

runfiverun
02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
lead don't start fires.
the pot may be an issue if it's left unattended for a couple of hours.
the worst thing that happens is you spill it and make a mess.
i cast in the garage and love to cast on high humidity day's

MtGun44
02-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I cast inside when I want. This outside stuff would be completely
unworkable for me.

Bill

375RUGER
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a 70's vintage overcab camper that I made into my lead shed. I use to cast in the house but now I don't have to clean up my mess as well.

letsmeltlead,
Have you ever thought about building yourself a little shed? If you can find someone nearby who ships/receives large crated machinery, you've got an instant lead shed. This sort of thing is available to me by the truck load for free. I have built a hay shed, feed shed, tack shed, 2 pole barns, a loft for my son, and a 8'x24' storage shed from shipping crates

Bret4207
02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
My dad would never let me melt lead in the garage. He thinks it will burn down the house and the insurance won't cover it if the house burns down from me melting lead. How can I convince him otherwise? I have an idea for ventilation so the ventilation is not an issue. I am only allowed to melt lead outside.

How old are you? I guess this partially explains your asbestos post on the Gabriel Gifford thread.

runfiverun
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
i'm guessing in his teen's .
i have seen his other posts and could really use some mentoring/education

letsmeltlead2693
02-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm 19. My dad is planning on getting an new shed one day, and he will give me his old cheap tin shed. Good to store lead in, and melt lead in if I can make a good ventilation system. Since I live with my parents, I still have to obey them. Still, that seem like a good deal to use the old shed we have now for lead and lead melting, when my dad gets a new shed.

btroj
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I cast in the garage. Ventilation is an open garage door, weather permitting.

Fire is so far down the list of worries that is almost doesn't exist.

Casting is very safe, if you use common sense.

WD2A7X3
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Just do it in the 70 degree weather, if you keep putting it off, you'll be stuck with 100 and sunny pretty soon.

If your parents have a beach umbrealla, or even a regular rain umbrella duct taped to something to keep it above you, it will keep some sun off you since I'm assuming you mean it's too hot from wearing some sorta protective gear.

runfiverun
02-19-2012, 09:52 PM
getting the old shed is a good deal.
it gives you incentive to help get the new one done.
these guy's on here are full of ideas so don't be afraid to ask for solutions.
i have cast and reloaded on picnic tables,school desks [as a matter of fact my computer is on an old grade school desk i used to cast on] an old 3' tall bookcase with a cupboard door screwed on top. two chairs with a piece of plywood on the seats,and a cabinet the neighbor was throwing away that i added the boards from a pallet to the top of.
my first reloading set-up was in a 30"x30" closet that i built a sturdy table top in.
it was still used for clothing, but it got the job done.

marshall623
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
I cast in my storage shed used to cast in the garage but I had clean up super good I didn't want the Kids to find the splats from the Lee dripomatic & be playing with them , or handling spilled lead or spues not washing their hands. The shed is the answer I can unplug everything and shut the door when I'm done . I do smelt WW's and other scrap lead outside only. If we get another building I will build a good casting bench and find a old kitchen hood to put over it and just duct outside with a grill or loover

palmettosunshine
02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I only cast outside because I have a 5 yr old who's into EVERYTHING. I don't need him playing on my workbench splattered with lead schmootz. I already made the mistake of leaving some boolits out to dry after tumble lubing. Found one on his nightstand later that evening. Can't have him playing with lead at this developmental stage in his life.

Do I give up some opportunities to cast? Yes. Is the convenience of casting in the garage worth harming my child? Not on your life.