PDA

View Full Version : advise for a compression die

robertsm53
02-17-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a 45-70 that I want to start shooting the black in. I have read Mikes book on the Buffalo Rifles a number of times and still am reading it again. Knowing I need a compression die so I do not use the bullet to compress I have been looking around, and find only plugs that are used in other dies. Do I need to purchase a second seating die for use with the compression die? Is it used in place of the seating stem in the seating die? Switching the seating plug and the compression plug back and forth would be a pain in the back side. Needin some advise here !

oldracer
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Hummm, I asked this a while back when I started also and finally took the advice of several folks that said to use an expansion die and cut the end off square without the rounded corners and it provides all the compression needed for my 68gr loads. I do my process as follows and has worked out well for me although I don't compete but some that do follow the same process.
- De-cap the case at the range and put in the jug of Dawn and water.
- Flush the cases and the tumble with ceramic media.
- Dry the cases.
- Take a skim cut on the case mouth to make it true with the cutter tool.
- Prep the case primer pocket and inside only of the case with my prep center tool.
- Slightly expand the case mouth just enough so that it has a slight resistance to entering the chamber (requires the expander die).
- Seat in the primer.
- Charge the powder by volume after running several test drops to my 68gr test rig (requires the compression die).
- Compress each charge with a milk carton wad so that the bullet seats .002 off the rifling.
- Add a newspaper wad and insert the bullet w/o any pressure or crimp. (my Sharps and Rolling Blocks do not like a crimp).

With these steps, I only have to switch dies once so that is not too bad and I usually have 30 to 50 cases to do which is not a huge number. When I started I had one set of dies and bought another set as part of a huge haul from a guy here on the site which helped a lot.

Cimarron Red
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I use Lyman M dies and RCBS expander dies with a custom compression plug from Buffalo Arms. Here's one from for $19. They make them for different die manufacturers:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164562&TERM=compression plug

Note that it has a lock ring. I have several, one for each of several bullets so I don't have to change depth settings.

Don McDowell
02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I just use an extra lyman M die for compressing the powder. Sometimes depending on the bullet you're shooting the M die will compress the powder and wad the proper amount and put just enough flare on the case mouth to make it easy to start the bullet.

shovel80
02-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I also use a Lyman "M" Die with a Buffalo Arms Compression Plug.

Terry

Dan Cash
02-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I use an unaltered Redding expansion die as I happened to have two sets of dies in .45-70. Recently started loading 38-55 and only had one set of dies and the expansion plug is not the right length for compressing with my bullet. I took a 3/8 inch bolt and fabricated a dummy bullet to match the one I am shooting. The case is charged and a wad placed on top of the powder, the steel dummy bullet (shich is a slip fit in the case) is placed on top of the wad and run into the seating die. The dummy is exchanged for the actual bullet and run back up the seating die. Done. Took less than 15 minutes to make the bullet with hacksaw and file.

John Boy
02-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Track of the Wolf Compression Plugs and a Lee Expander Die
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=18&subID=128&styleID=1077

montana_charlie
02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Do I need to purchase a second seating die for use with the compression die? Is it used in place of the seating stem in the seating die? Switching the seating plug and the compression plug back and forth would be a pain in the back side. Needin some advise here !
It's common to buy an extra die body to put the compression plug in. Most often, that will be a neck expansion die ... though a bullet seater may work if the threads match.

If you don't want to buy the extra die body, or you don't have a hole left in your turret to mount it, changing plugs is not that bad.

A purchased compression plug comes with a stop collar, so you can set it for a positive depth. If you put a similar stop collar on the expander plug from your die set, it, too, can have a positive setting.

Then you expand all of your case mouths and change plugs.
Sometime later, after measuring, weighing, trickling, and drop tubing the powder, you get to the point where you compress all of your charges.

The time spent changing plugs is almost unnoticeable when compared to everything else.

CM

cajun shooter
02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I use the compression die that is sold by Buffalo Arms for the reason posted by Montana charlie.
I have used it two ways and that is in my press or in a Lee Hand Press. After sizing, priming, and dropping the charge and then placing a card I put it in my hand press and compress the charge to the proper depth.

Dale53
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
My black powder cartridge rifle reloading press is a Lyman Turret press (the T-Mag press as it has six stations). I have it set up with a black powder powder measure and run each case through so when I am finished I have a loaded (match quality) cartridge in hand. I have a compression die in place (a Lee expander body with compression punch). I can fully load a cartridge in about 20 seconds. When I was competing, this allowed me to load enough (even with limited time) to practice as much as I needed to remain competitive.

Here is a compression punch:

http://www.4570products.info/Steel-expander-plug-designed-by-JS-Wolf-13.htm

The Lee expander body is readily available from any Lee dealer.

Dale53

montana_charlie
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Robertsm53 getting advice from Dale53.

Are you guys related?
CM

Dale53
02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Robertsm53 getting advice from Dale53.

Are you guys related?
CM

Not to my knowledge...

Dale53

'74 sharps
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I just started bp in my Sharps 45-70 s few weeks ago and bought the Buffalo Arms
comp die. Works great; however, must be careful lifting the cartridge into the die so it is centered to prevent any case lip damage.