PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

makicjf
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a quandry. Though not a large issue, my gut says one thing and my reasoning mind says another. I will be taking my chl shooting test in two weeks and do not now what gun to shoot. Actually the gun is not the issue; the real question is which platform to use. In texas, if you qualify with a revolver (which is what i shoot everyday) that is all you are licensed to carry. If you qualify with an auto you may carry either an auto or a revolver or any combination of the two modalities. Simple. My angst arrises from this: I have only a cursory knowledge of autos and only shot one five or six times, while my wheelguns are an extension of my hand. I know I could use one properly in a high stress situation and not break the manual of arms. I wouled have to think about every step with an auto. I have been advised to test with an auto in case I ever decide to carry one. In a controlled arena I could fake it, but would not be confident in my skills and handling of the weapon. My gut says "shoot what you know" and utilize the confidence and skill i possess. My brain says "what if you decide to pick up a 1911, it would be nice to have the option.
Options are relative, and it would require (for me) many months of daily handling before i would consider myslef versed and safe in a situation where i might be endangering others lives with my handling of a semi auto weapon . Assuming I pass with a revolver, I would retest in five years: should I pick up an auto between now and then I should feel competent when retesting comes. Should I borrow an auto and test, or use what i know and build a skill set with an auto before testing with it?
i'm leaning towards the revovler, though the general advice i receive says to test with a bottom feeder.
Thanks!
Jason

Reload3006
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Do you know anyone with an auto that you can go practice with this weekend? I dont think they are expecting you to score a perfect score. Just do you know how to operate it and can you hit what your aiming at with it. I would take the test with an auto if possible why hamstring yourself?

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Take the test with the auto, then carry the revolver until you are competent with the bottom feeder. Do not carry the auto till you are 100 %, gun safety #1 be responsible

waksupi
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I would go with the revolver, and re-qualify later with a semi. It is real obvious to me when I see someone who is not comfortably competent with a semi.

Best thing may be to get out of a state that has such silly ideas! ;o)

Rick Hodges
02-17-2012, 12:26 PM
If time is of the essense qualify with the wheel gun. The transition to the auto is not as difficult as you seem to make it. When our PD transitioned to the autoloaders we did a course that took two days and approx. 500 rds. That was a lot more than most departments got...but we were at least familiar with the weapons, stoppage drills, reloading and safe handling. I don't know what it takes to qualify in your area, but I would try with the auto and be free to carry what I wanted.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I assume you can re qualify any time if you decide to change. If that assumption is correct, qualify now with your comfort level, the revolver. If you should change down the road you can change. If my assumption is not accurate and you are stuck with a revolver for five years, what is the problem with that? As you say, they are an extension of your arm. Don't change until you can say the same about your auto, if you should get one.

geargnasher
02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Qualify with the revolver that you're comfortable with right now and will actually be carrying.

Quit worrying about the automatic stuff for now, you can re-qualify with an auto next time and it will probably take you that long to get to an equal level of comfort with it.

Gear

Charley
02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
The Texas qualification test isn't much. Targets are at 3, 5, and 7 yards, full size silhouttes. Timed fire, but plenty of time, revolver OR SA. 20 rounds, three yards, 20 rounds, 5 yards, and 10 rounds, 7 yards. All starts are from low ready position. Longest shot string is 5 rounds. If you've shot a SA "5 or 6 times" you can pass the test.

For serious carry purposes, though, use a revolver until you get enough experience and to a comfort level where you know you can handle a SA if desired. Out of a class of perhaps 20 people, you MIGHT see one or two revolvers, everyone else shows up with SAs.

Yep, it is a stupid regulation, but Texas was one of the first after Florida to adopt a concealed carry law. That part needs to be dumped...

beagle
02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a good afternoon in a sandpit with a M1911 and a couple of boxes of ammo and a good mentor would make you feel right at home with handling and firing it. Now, I'm not saying you'd be ready to challenge the National Pistol champ but you'd be ready to load, fire, safe and clear and be reasonably safe to handle one without any missgivings./beagle

firefly1957
02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
If you can get a auto to use it would be your best coarse of action sighting of either firearm is the same.

starmac
02-17-2012, 08:13 PM
If you have always used a revolver, do you even see yourself changing now.
I would just take the test with what you are comfortable with, and what you are likely to carry, unless you are just trying to justify the purchase of another gun. If that is the case, go for the auto.

wills
02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Sounds like too much cerebration taking place. Borrow or rent a .32 auto, pass the test and carry what you want.

BD
02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
If you are a revolver guy at heart, take the test with a revolver. Seems unlikely to me that you would suddenly feel the need to carry a platform that you're not comfortable with. More likely one day you'd feel the need to tuck a shotgun behind the seat.
BD

gbrown
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm with Charley & wills. At 3 & 5 yds, its just point shoulder shooting center mass. 7 yds, maybe you aim. No hurry, no time. There is no score, Pass or No Pass. Don't need to impress anyone. If you know you will never want to carry an auto, don't even fret. If otherwise, get a buddy with an auto, go to the range, become familiar with it and go take the test. I love autos, but am planning to buy a lightweight +P revolver just for fun. Semper Gumby!! Love flexibility.

Ickisrulz
02-17-2012, 08:43 PM
I "rented" a Glock from the instructor I had in San Antonio. Never shot one before, but had no problems passing the test at all. In fact, the instructor discouraged people from testing with a revolver so they could keep their options open.

DLCTEX
02-17-2012, 08:45 PM
The way the dumb law is written you would be in violation if you are qualified with a revolver and get in a pinch and take a semi auto for protection. If you decide to re qualify before five years are up, it's very expensive . Cost of class, passport photo, fingerprinting, and the fee to the state. You could probably qualify by looking down range close your eyes, and shoot.

Cmemiss
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
That's a real Aggie question. You are overthinking the problem. Get a SA, take the test, then carry whatever the heck you want to. If you can't pass the test with either, you have no business carrying anyway.

williamwaco
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I have never taken the classes but I live in Texas and at least twice a month I see a class qualifying at the range.

You are WAAAAYY too worried about that test.

These classes consist of people who never picked up a gun until they started the class and they are passing it.

The instructors are telling them very step. pick it up. Safety off. Two shots at target "A". Gun down ( on the bench ).

Now a personal story.
My father had never fired an autoloader in his life. He shot bullseye during the war with a Colt Officers Match .38 Special.

When he was 80 years old, he bought an S&W .40 and a box of 100 Winchester target loads and two boxes of 20 Federal Hydra Shocks.

Two weeks later he took the class and got his CHL with the S&W .40. I still have the two boxes of Federals and about 20-30 of the 100 target loads. ( Remember, he used 50 of them in the CHL test. )

He has been gone 10 years now and I am thinking about taking the CHL. If I do, Guess which gun I will use to qualify?

02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Qualify with the pistol, carry the revolver. Not a problem in NC, at least as far as I know. I'm going to take the class tomorrow and use boolits and my M29.

theperfessor
02-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Seems like a good reason to buy a new handgun!

gbrown
02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Whoa! Never thought of that!! I'm with the perfosser!!

geargnasher
02-18-2012, 12:06 AM
If you are a revolver guy at heart, take the test with a revolver. Seems unlikely to me that you would suddenly feel the need to carry a platform that you're not comfortable with. More likely one day you'd feel the need to tuck a shotgun behind the seat.
BD

Neat thing about living in Texas since the recent adoption of Castle Doctrine law is that can carry a shotgun behind the seat, or on the dash, or in a rear window rack whether you have a concealed carry permit or not. Same with a pistol. The difference is you can't take the piece with you when you get out and go into public.

Gear

Recluse
02-18-2012, 12:26 AM
My wife took her test with a revolver. She carries a revolver. She will never, ever carry a SA. Doesn't like them, isn't good with them, so she'll never carry one.

If you're a wheel gun man and that's what you're going to carry, then qualify with a wheel gun.

I've never felt handicapped or under-powered when I've carried my .357 Magnums or .44 Special or .44 Magnums. I qualified with a SA and carry one most of the time in town--but out of town, in the country, etc., I've got an L or N frame in my shoulder holster and a couple of speedloaders.

Shoot and qualify with what you feel comfortable AND confident with.

Bottom line.

:coffee:

EDK
02-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Missouri has the same deal on semi-auto qualifies you for both. The instructor I talked to also suggested a 22 FOR THE CLASS.

I may have to borrow the S&W 22A semi auto that I gave the grand daughter for getting a job as a LEO. I priced her the gun because it was a lot cheaper than 9mm ammo for her GLOCK to practice with and then told her to keep her money and buy a conversion unit for the GLOCK instead when she showed up with some yankee dollars...the S&W was her graduation gift.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

makicjf
02-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think that for my personal peace of mind I am going to use one of the revolvers. I do not feel qualified at this time to carry an auto outside of a controlled environment. My issue is not hitting a target but rather handling of the weapon. I am not confident enough with an auto to assume responsibility for the general public. My standards for my self exceed te state requirements.
It would be a great excuse to buy a 1911 but I need a coach gun an another short bbl Ruger so I can start shooting cowboy matches. Next on my list was a marlin 45/70 cowboy. Marlin will have to eat while since they are out of production. Then a 20 inch octagon bbl Rossi in 45 colt then a 1911. So 'buy' the time I have reached the 1911 it should leave me just enough time to practice,grow some confidnce and retest its the 1911. I appreciate and respect all of your thoughts. Typed on my phone so is more than likley rife with typos
jasonn

wills
02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
That's a real Aggie question. You are overthinking the problem. Get a SA, take the test, then carry whatever the heck you want to. If you can't pass the test with either, you have no business carrying anyway.

See, that’s what I said. “Aggie Question” I love that.

I'm with Charley & wills. At 3 & 5 yds, its just point shoulder shooting center mass. 7 yds, maybe you aim. No hurry, no time. There is no score, Pass or No Pass. Don't need to impress anyone. If you know you will never want to carry an auto, don't even fret. If otherwise, get a buddy with an auto, go to the range, become familiar with it and go take the test. I love autos, but am planning to buy a lightweight +P revolver just for fun. Semper Gumby!! Love flexibility.

I "rented" a Glock from the instructor I had in San Antonio. Never shot one before, but had no problems passing the test at all. In fact, the instructor discouraged people from testing with a revolver so they could keep their options open.

The way the dumb law is written you would be in violation if you are qualified with a revolver and get in a pinch and take a semi auto for protection. If you decide to re qualify before five years are up, it's very expensive . Cost of class, passport photo, fingerprinting, and the fee to the state. You could probably qualify by looking down range close your eyes, and shoot.

Always wear your spurs; you never know when you may meet a horse

makicjf
02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
"Its better to lose with integrity than to win without it"
My question may appear silly but stems from a sense of responsibility. It is incumbent upon me to not exceed my skill set and ppossibly endanger people because I can fake my way through a test.so yes, this is an Aggie question. The point that if I were ever forced to use an auto it could be illegal is valid and a good reason to test with an auto
thanks
Gig em!
jason

wills
02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Neat thing about living in Texas since the recent adoption of Castle Doctrine law is that can carry a shotgun behind the seat, or on the dash, or in a rear window rack whether you have a concealed carry permit or not. Same with a pistol. The difference is you can't take the piece with you when you get out and go into public.

Gear

I don’t think the castle law changed that. I recall when I was growing there seemed to be a rifle in the gun rack in the back window of most pickups. The fact you don’t see that as much any more probably has more to do with crew cabs, and apprehension the gun might be stolen.

I recall when the downtown Woolworths was selling a bunch of rebuilt Garands and carbines. For several days downtown Houston was full of people walking around with Garands and carbines.

DLCTEX
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
It definitely changed things as far as carrying a pistol in a vehicle. My 20 yr. old son can now carry in the vehicle with no problem. So can his mother for that matter.

geargnasher
02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I don’t think the castle law changed that. I recall when I was growing there seemed to be a rifle in the gun rack in the back window of most pickups. The fact you don’t see that as much any more probably has more to do with crew cabs, and apprehension the gun might be stolen.

I recall when the downtown Woolworths was selling a bunch of rebuilt Garands and carbines. For several days downtown Houston was full of people walking around with Garands and carbines.

It changed lots of things. Before, you had to prove that you were "travelling" more than two counties away to carry a pistol, and the burden of proof was on YOU, not the prosecution. Now, the right is specifically granted since your vehicle is considered an extension of your home under the law. Other good things include verbage that removes any obligation to retreat, and prevents civil suits being brought against you if you legally used deadly force to defend yourself from an attack in your home/car and were cleared by the criminal investigation report.

When I was in high school in the early '90s many of the vehicles, including mine, in the student parking lot had .22s and shotguns openly displayed in rear window gun racks, and lots of us carried knives in belt sheaths in class. One time a teacher needed to shoot a rattlesnake outside one of the buildings and a student tossed her (yes HER!) his truck keys so she could borrow his gun to kill it. Times sure have changed!

Gear

wills
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Sorry, I failed to make myself clear. I was referring to carrying a long gun.

Yes, “traveling” used to be an affirmative defense, and case law is all over as to what constituted “traveling”. I don’t recall any case law regarding a duty to retreat, on the other hand I never looked for any.

You mean you didn’t leave the keys in your trucks?

makicjf
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
So I went to my buddies with the intent of a 1911 lesson and borrowing his for the test: I came home with my own rock island 1911 A1 c s . After handling I was way more comfortable than I expected. Not expensive, fired 100 plus rounds with zero issuesand was shooting some very tidy groups with ball duplicate tmj I had around. I had,as some of you ha said made afar bigger deal out of the weapon than i needed to.
thanks
jason

Charley
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I failed to make myself clear. I was referring to carrying a long gun.

Yes, “traveling” used to be an affirmative defense, and case law is all over as to what constituted “traveling”. I don’t recall any case law regarding a duty to retreat, on the other hand I never looked for any.

You mean you didn’t leave the keys in your trucks?

Was never a legal definition as to what constituted "traveling" . Stupid post second American Revolution carpetbagger legislature wrote that law. Their buddies could be "travelers" riding 1/2 mile. Their enemies weren't travelers, no matter how far they went.

Wife and I took the first class available for CHLs, had our license delivered about 3 days before the law went into effect. Fellow taking the class droned on and on to the instructor about what a fine piece of weaponry his P38 was. Even smoked the sights with carbide before shooting the qualifiers. Too bad he had a broken firing pin, and an inoperable weapon. Instructor lent him a small, blowback .380. Said gentleman tried to cycle the slide, let go of the slide AND the grip at the same time, handgun hit the gravel about 5 feet in front of the firing line.

First thought was "holy c**p, this guys gonna be carrying...I hope it isn't around me!"
Even if you are only somewhat familiar with SAs, you can still pass the qualifying. You'll do better than that guy, and he got his CHL!

Bullet Caster
02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I took my CCW class in TN with my Hi-Point 9mm. When it came to the shooting part the instructor said that he was surprised that I'd showed up with a Hi-Point. Yep. He was bad mouthing my pistol--to ME! I told him that I would of showed up with my 1911, that it was a Norinco and he would probably bad mouth that weapon as well. I just don't give a **** what anyone thinks of my weapons. I qualified and with my Hi-Point. They can all go straight to 7734 upside down!!! BC

makicjf
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
So I shot the little ria 1911-about 500 rounds in a week. the day before the test the front site came unstaked and was gone. So I shot my freinds springfeild- only shot it in the test- the one flyer was an unlocked wrist and I knew it was off when I squeezed- the ones in the low 8 ring are the 45 feet shots- should have changed my aim point. shot a 249 out of 250- The 1911 is a nce platform and ya'll were right it was pretty easy to learn and be comfortable with.
jason

Blammer
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
reminds me of an old saying "more people worry about being ate by a bear than acutally get ate by a bear"

see, no worries.

glad you worked it out.

Katya Mullethov
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Show up with a mare's leg .