PDA

View Full Version : ingots sticking in muffin pan

twally
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know how to get the muffin ingots out of pan without sticking?
one of my old pans works great, but the last two new pans I ruined trying to get lead out.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
This is a common problem with using cheap or just any old muffin pan that can be found. Beating the dickens out of the pan usually ruins it. Some users of pans do advocate rusting the pan as lead will not stick to rusted surfaces. If you find an alu or stainless steel pan then- there will be no sticking. Same for cast iron pans, breadstick molds or popover pans. Lead can be gotten out by using a propane torch, but the best idea once you have gotten the lead unstuck is to use one of the suggestions above for an ingot mold. A cheap and practical solution that I have mentioned in a few posts is to go to the kitchen section of a Walmart and get a set of stainless steel condiment cups for all of 90 cents. They stack like poker chips. Four sets will give you 16 molds for $3.60 or so and with the aid of a simple set of pliers to turn them over and dump the solidified lead you can make large numbers of ingots all day long. LLS

markinalpine
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
This is the ONE and only thing I use the spray mould release for.

letsmeltlead2693
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
One time I brought a new muffin tin from Wal-Mart and poured lead in it and the dang ingot stuck to it. I had to torch the lead to get it out. Just use cast iron and save yourself the hassle.

bobthenailer
02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Use non stick spray for cooking pans ! stolen from your wifes kitchen .

snuffy
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Those cheap muffin tins ARE really tin! At least tin coated steel. Waddya get when you combine lead and tin with heat? SOLDER! you just soldered the ingot to the muffin tin! Holds pretty tight don't it!?:kidding:

Blue Hill
02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I like to use the mini loaf tins. Gives me a rectangular ingot that weighs about 4 pounds.

sirgknight
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I bought one of those non-stick muffin pans from wallyworld. Paid about $4 for it and it produces (24) 1/2 lb ingots. Been using it for 4 years and still no sticking - they bounce right out after turning solid.

Finnmike
02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
My 12 muffin non-stick pan was $2 at Goodwill. Puts out 1.5 lb muffins...

Roundnoser
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I use a penetrating oil, or old motor oil on my cast iron, and let it "bake" in on top of the melt (watch the fumes). -- Or, I spray it with mold release.

Both work well for me.

Reload3006
02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I went to the dollar tree and had the exact experience stuck every one .. I heard its the cheap pans are tinned. if so makes a perfect bonding agent for lead. So I went to my junk pile and made some angle iron ingot molds never looked back.

mdi
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
If the pans are "multi-piece" they are prolly soldered together, and your lead will stick! If the pan is one piece, punched out of a single piece, it'll prolly not stick. If it's cast or stamped aluminun; no stick. If it's cast iron, no stick, same with stainless steel...

PuppetZ
02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I use dry graphit lube. It's graphit in suspension in alcohol. I got the idea tonight. Bought a cheapo muffin tray and poured 9 ingots. 8 stuck. I lubed the 3 remaining cavity with graphit and they came right off. I'll have to buy another tray and try it some more but it should work nicely. Got the idea from Lee mold instruction where they tell you to "deposit carbon" in the mold cavity with a match. No smoke. No big mess and a can should last forever since you dont have to redo it all the times.

a.squibload
03-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Before using the thrift store muffin pans
I sprayed 'em with salt water & left for a
week. No stick!

GT27
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I use one of the small packets of anti-seize that you find hanging at your local Autozone,Advance,ect,ect.!Made to withstand heat!! Put some on a rag and very lightly coat the pan,I use it on my molds too,just not in the cavity's! Works like a charm,try it!

HardColt
03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I had the same problem last night with the gray muffin pans. As soon as I get the two ingots that are stuck from my previous smelting, I will sand the bottom and walls of the muffin cavities and let rust take its course. . The teflon coating just works great for muffins but not lead.The first tray is all banged out of shape cause I still have the two ingots welded in the cavities. I will probably just let it sit a little bit on the coil burner of the electric range and see if the heat can break it loose from the muffin cavity.

canyon-ghost
03-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Kano Kroil does work, it's about the only penetrating oil that I've seen work as a release agent in molds.