PDA

View Full Version : Load manual advice ???

Jack Stanley
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I think my newest load manual is a Speer number twelve and since a lot of new stuff has arivved on the scene since , perhaps I should get a new book .

The only one I saw in the store was a Hornady and I'm not sure I liked the layout of the material . It did have a lot of new stuff though so it would be an improvement of what I have .

I've never opened a LEE manual so if someone can post a link or scan a page of what the data looks like that would be great .

The last Lyman book I have is the 45th edition and I see they have got to a 49th in hardback no less . Do they follow the same format as I'm used to ?

Others like Nosler and Barnes I've never seen , not that I use a lot of Jacketed bullets . Any input you have would be great and as always thanks for your help .

Jack

Larry Gibson
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
If you're only getting the one manual I suggest the Lyman 49th, yes it is the same format.

The Hornady is a good one and not difficult to use.

The Lee seems a reposting of others data and not a lot of actual info on the loads used or what they were tested in.

Larry Gibson

Jack Stanley
02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks Larry , I do like the format of my old Lyman manual .

Jack

SlowSmokeN
02-16-2012, 01:16 PM
+2 on Lyman 49th

In addition a few loads I do Lyman did have the info for the boolit I wanted to use. I sent an email to Unique and they sent me the load data for that boolit. Not sure if all powder companies do that but it is a good resource.

runfiverun
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
the lee is just a gathering of others work.
it however has some load data that is harder than heck to find.
some of that data is extrapolated from other cases similar in size case shape and caliber [they say]
i can't think of many 8mm cases shaped like the lebel, but they at least have somethiing to start from.
they also give case volumns and thats pretty handy to have also.

Firebricker
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I like the Sierra manual lots of info. Its also on a three ring binder which makes it easy to pull out the page your using and keep right in front of you. FB

rond
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
If you're loading lead, Lyman is the way to go.

williamwaco
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I have two of the Hornady's Got one on a trade.
I don't like it.

I have the Lee and it is a great resource for how to do it.

The data is a compilation of data from many sources and I simply do not trust it.

I agree with the suggestion for the Lyman 49 UNLESS

If your interest is cast bullets get the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual No 4
If your intereest is handguns only, get the Lyman Pistol and revolver manual.

Cheapest place I know of to get them is Midway if you are ordering something else but Amazon has cheaper shipping if yuo are ordering the book only..

1Shirt
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
If only one go with Lyman-----------period!
1Shirt!

Jack Stanley
02-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys , My main interest is the new cartridges that were not around when my last manual was printed . I have several sources for cast info not the least of which is this site .

A hardback issue of the Lyman sounds like it will do what I need .

Jack

geargnasher
02-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Dang, Jack, I have Speer #11 I bought new, thought that was all a person needed! :kidding:

I'll give a +3 on the Lyman 49th, good book, lots of data, and I really like the format.

Gear

Grandpas50AE
02-17-2012, 11:53 PM
My first metallic reloading book was the Lyman 45th edition, which I still use. It is so worn that the cover page is gone. The second one I bought, new at the time was the Speer #8. For Lyman and Speer, I also have the 47th and No.11, respectively. I also have a 15 year old Hodgdon, an 8 year old Sierra, and a 10 year old Hornady. The ones I use the most for reference books are the Lyman.

I always recommend at least two for cross reference just in case the main one you have has a misprint, in which case a third one will help identify which of the other two is the misprint.

warf73
02-18-2012, 01:10 AM
If your not a new re-loader I wouldn't worry about a book unless you just have to have a book. I use the powder company's web site its current and up to date.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

BOOM BOOM
02-18-2012, 01:39 AM
HI,
I have at least a dozen powder co. reloading booklets from before the internet. A old 1940's & a 1960's & the cast bullet Lyman's. The 1970's Speer. And friends were kind enough to let me copy the pages relating to my cartridges from the old Pacific, Serra, Accurate, Barnes, Acklyes books,, & others. I have the NRA's cast bullet book as well as some Handloader & Rifle mags. & other books with loading data.
You can not get too much info.

Reload3006
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
My Opinion is you can never have enough guns molds dies reloading tools and Yes reloading manuals. I have Hornady Speer and Lee then I collect the powder Mfr load pamphlets. They are free for the asking when you buy some powder. I have found good and bad data in all of them but better than just using them as a data source they do have a lot of tips and tricks in them and all have their own spin on things that IMO is worth reading and chewing on whether or not you believe it or use it. after the 3 majors I like those Complete load manuals for a specific cartridge they are a compilation of data from all the Manufacturers and are a very handy tool. Check em out.