PDA

View Full Version : Makes you wonder why they bother

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm down with the flu, (5 kids in the house, is it any wonder?), so I've been web surfing a bit. I've hit a bunch of other, lesser known gun boards. Now I know why they are lesser known! Some of the sheer BS I've been reading is just incredible. Everything from "USMC snipers" shooting in Afganistan with scope sighted AK's to "you can only get ammo for the M95 Steyr at gunshows". The lack of knowledge is embarassing. We may be mainly cast boolits, but if you need a jacketed load or a recipe for homemade sausage, you'll get a good one here. And some of the butt kissing at other sites where "gun writers" hang out is bad! Even sixgunner.com has come to this. Sad. Now I know why I hang my hat here. Thank you guys.

sundog
03-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Bret, yea, special kinda place, eh? I look around, too, and..., well you siad it. Won't name names, but I'll hang my hat here.

Hope you get to feeling better. sundog

R.M.
03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Bret, right you are. The sad thing is, there are a lot of people who figure, "Well, I read it on the internet, so it must be true."
We have to weed through the garbage, and find the pearls.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
R.M.

woody1
03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm down with the flu, (5 kids in the house, is it any wonder?), so I've been web surfing a bit. I've hit a bunch of other, lesser known gun boards. Now I know why they are lesser known! Some of the sheer BS I've been reading is just incredible. Everything from "USMC snipers" shooting in Afganistan with scope sighted AK's to "you can only get ammo for the M95 Steyr at gunshows". The lack of knowledge is embarassing. We may be mainly cast boolits, but if you need a jacketed load or a recipe for homemade sausage, you'll get a good one here. And some of the butt kissing at other sites where "gun writers" hang out is bad! Even sixgunner.com has come to this. Sad. Now I know why I hang my hat here. Thank you guys.

AMEN! and get well soon. Regards, Woody

TDB9901
03-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Bret,

Yes, have to agree, my favorite web hangout for sure..

Hope you whip the "crud"...

How are you coming in your search for an SKS??

My neighbor just got 3 more in for stock, all in nearly new cond.

Tom

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Local dealer recommends I send $$ to the wholesaler myself with his FFL and just order what I want. We just have to figure out what we want.

9.3X62AL
03-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Hurry up and get well, Bret.

I think a lot of what we see on other boards has to do with lots less life and shooting experience on the part of the membership elsewhere. I suspect our median membership age here is significantly older than many other gun-related boards.

On another board, I made the error of daring to question the position of one such gunhack to another member in a PM (not to the hack), and you'd think I had called Mother Teresa a streetwalker. OK, then--we won't disturb THAT sacred cow, but don't mind me if I grill a steak now and then.

MT Gianni
03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Bret I hope you feel better soon. Al, as much as we have seen gunwriters who's "expertise" differed with our actual experience it's no wonder some stay away from here. There will always be sheep who blindly follow. Gianni

Scrounger
03-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Bret I hope you feel better soon. Al, as much as we have seen gunwriters who's "expertise" differed with our actual experience it's no wonder some stay away from here. There will always be sheep who blindly follow. Gianni

...And CarpetMan gives a silent prayer of thanks...

IcerUSA
03-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Get Well Soon Bret.

I'm sure glad I found this group, did way to much surffing and not much info at them other places . :castmine:

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Jeeze, I just saw one where a guy says ALL Star pistols are unsafe! They were made in MEXICO he says. Another place a guy recommended nothing less than a 300 Win for deer because the 308 is no good past 200 yards and he REGULARLY shoots his deer at 400+ yards. He holds over about 2 feet he says. One feller opined that the 357 was too much gun, but a 38 Super was the cats meow. Another guy had an S+W 22 and wanted to ream it out to 22 Mag. Mind you it's a break top, spur trigger, birdshead grip 22 S+W! Cooler minds prevailed on that one at least. The AR and AK type sites are just ridiculous. And some of the self defense type sites are over the top too.

Separating the wheat from the chaff on some of those places takes patience. Not all of them, but some.

C1PNR
03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Separating the wheat from the chaff on some of those places takes patience. Not all of them, but some.
You are exactly right, "not all of them, but some."

I have found some good information, and good back and forth exchange of ideas, on stock cleaning and refinishing - among some other topics - on some of the other forums. But this one is really tops in civility, along with the free interchange of ideas and experience.

And I, too, hope you get well soon! AND develop a bunch of solid antibodies, 'cause with 5 school age kids in the house you're REALLY going to need a strong constitution to survive!:roll:

robertbank
03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Get well soon. Small price you pay for having those trusting eyes poking you, "get up Dad it is time to go fishing...."

Take Care

Bob

Linstrum
03-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey there, Tpr. Bret, sorry to hear yer down with the flu. Ya know the drill, get yerself a bit of Vitamin C, along with some fresh or frozen oranjooze or other citrus, it's got some additional stuff in it called bioflavinoids that can help with healing and immune activity.

Like C1PNR and others said, the one big thing I like here along with all the other benefits is the civility. At other so-called firearms oriented places where I have attempted to participate in the past the participants themselves became the "targets" as well as the "game" that was "hunted" and running them down was the "sport". They were also into setting traps - for each other. That nonsense is remarkably absent here.

TDB9901
03-17-2007, 09:19 PM
[Quote]
"Ya know the drill, get yerself a bit of Vitamin C, along with some fresh or frozen oranjooze or other citrus, it's got some additional stuff in it called bioflavinoids that can help with healing and immune activity."

And a double shot of something like "Henery McKinna" to dull the pain until the good stuff takes hold.:mrgreen:

Buckshot
03-18-2007, 09:02 AM
..............I always found it interesting that when some particular type of milsurp ammo has become scarce it was like the end of the world. Oh woe is me, what ever am I going to shoot, the lower slobbovian 1937 supply isn't available!

As Deputy Al pointed out the average age of the members here, most of us have been there several times and done that an equal number of times. Add to that the fact that most cast boolit shooters are unabashed tinkerers we're always thinking and wondering.

...............Buckshot

robertbank
03-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Most of us been around long enough to know that butting your head against a wall usually just involves a lot of pain in the forehead area.

I am up to here with the, "I know my rights crowd". Been on this planet now for just 62 years and have yet to have a bad conversation with a police officer (LEO if you are on the kickeminthegroin forum), some of the guys on the Canadian Forums are juvenile scary with their "tude". That and the survivalist crowd who think 8 million people can leave a major city and survive off the "land". Just need my 18" Stainless steel 10 lb hunting knife and my AR15 with 1500 rds of ammo and I am good to go... Yup and pigs can grow wings.

Take Care

Bob

singleshotbuff
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Gentlemen,

While there are a couple of other forums that do offer SOME decent info and ideas, this is by far the very best. Even if the subject strays (as it OFTEN does) from lead projectiles.

As to why, I don't think it is strictly because of the "median age" of our group (I was born this side of 1970), but more because we actually "get out there and try it", instead of just talking about it or believing what we read.

For example, people on other forums will tell you to never use ANY smokeless powder without PUBLISHED data and FOR GOD'S SAKE NEVER INTERPOLATE LOAD DATA!! Meanwhile, some of us here happily shoot our $4.00/pound surplus powder safely and with great results.

I guess we are just not smart enough to know the danger we're in, after all we're not smart enough to pay $18-20/pound for our powder.

I'd wager that a lot of members here shoot more rounds in a week than a LOT of other shooters shoot in several months.

Just my 2 cents worth, but what do I know? I'm just a kid LOL.

SSB

Ron
03-19-2007, 06:09 AM
Trp. Bret, get yourself a 10 ounce glass, half fill it with Scotch, fill the remaining half glass with hot lemon juice, sweetin to taste with either sugar or honey and drink at your leasure. Might not do the flu any harm but you sure will feel better.

Some of these "other site" make my skin crawl with the published comments. Sometimes I think that they are good reason for enforced birth control, or at least an indication that some peoples firearms training and or knowledge is sadly lacking.

trickyasafox
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
*knocks on wood* i've only stumbled on pretty solid forums. very few flame wars, knowledgeable people (definatly more knowing than me, but thats not an accomplishment :) ) and generally postive attitudes.

this board though has a generous streak that i think is unparalled anywhere else on the net, and thats what keeps me coming back. everyone is knowledgeable, and genuinely kind hearted. If i can't brush elbows with people like that everyday, i'll definatly take to it in the cyber world. :)

Jim
03-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Hey, Bret!
That Henry McKenna suggestion is something to take heed to, Bud! Oh, and keep warm, too.

Speaking of forums, where else can a guy get answers like the kind I look for?:roll: Ya' gotta admit, I come up with some pretty hair brained ideas. Been to all the other forums, got the bloody T-shirts and the trophies. Besides, where ya gonna go that will allow a guy to self appoint himself as Vice President in charge of research and development of the Glue Shooters Society?[smilie=1:

MOM, I'm home!!

Jim

dragonrider
03-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Singleshotbuff wrote:
"I was born this side of 1970"
Dang my girls are older than you :mrgreen: But I do believe your are right, our collective age here is quite possibly dinosaurial, and I think we have learned a thing or two about civility, or perhaps that's just how our generation was raised. On another board I tried there were several "experts" of various aspects of our sport and of course you werre a fool if you disagreed with them at all. Didn't stay there long, kinda feel sorry for people who have nothing to learn. :roll: