PDA

View Full Version : Youtube silencer demos. Batf fodder?

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Has anyone seen the silencer building demos on YouTube? I keep an eye on the right column when I am on youtube to see things I would never think of looking for. There are a bunch of silencer building demos! They actually show people using them!

A friend of mine in MN went to prison because, as I understand it, he had serial numbers assigned to him that weren't stamped on tubes. The explanation varied depending on whom was doing the telling. What everyone understood was if the BATF even sets eyes on you your goose was cooked- you had no hope.

So the question is how can anyone smart enough to make one be stupid enough to put it on the internet?! And will, if the BATF sees one of the halfwit's videos, track the guys down?

Since there are silencer videos are there machine gun building videos? Explosives? How about counter fitting?

MtGun44
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Supressors are legal in many states, and I think that as long as you follow the law, you can
build your own. If you friend failed to stamp the SN on the tube, he was foolish and asking
for trouble when working with an agency known for no slack in enforcement. Sorry to hear it, but
the list of people responsible has only one name on it.

If I were to build one, my MOST IMPORTANT effort would be to stay within the legal
requirements.

Bill

BulletFactory
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
99% of the people the BATFU prosecutes are not criminals.

303Guy
02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
It's scary when the leader of the free world does things like that! Mind you, I've been fined penalties for being late with tax returns. They get more money so they're happy and I get penalized and so they're happy. I'm happy 'cause I don't go to jail. It's a win win - sort of. I think of it in terms of how much powder I could have bought with that money!

JeffinNZ
02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Pete, they haven't been "free" for about 50 years. They only think they are. Right guys?

I was out and lunch time shooting my suppressed .32-20 with the new NOE 314008 boolits. I call her 'Whispering death'. Rabbits hate her.

stubshaft
02-15-2012, 11:04 PM
You can find almost any "how to" video on YouTube. Whether or not it is legal is up to the person trying them out.

There are numerous videos on making corn likker and AFAIK it is illegal in ALL states.

leadman
02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
If it is on youtube it could be from anywhere in the world. 303guy makes his own and I am going to check into it if they make silencers legal for hunting here in Az.

L1A1Rocker
02-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Has anyone seen the silencer building demos on YouTube? I keep an eye on the right column when I am on youtube to see things I would never think of looking for. There are a bunch of silencer building demos! They actually show people using them!

A friend of mine in MN went to prison because, as I understand it, he had serial numbers assigned to him that weren't stamped on tubes. The explanation varied depending on whom was doing the telling. What everyone understood was if the BATF even sets eyes on you your goose was cooked- you had no hope.

So the question is how can anyone smart enough to make one be stupid enough to put it on the internet?! And will, if the BATF sees one of the halfwit's videos, track the guys down?

Since there are silencer videos are there machine gun building videos? Explosives? How about counter fitting?

I find it hard to believe that anyone is doing time JUST for failing to have the proper engraving done on his Form 1 Silencer. I suspect there is much more to the story.

I've built 4 of my own Form 1 Legal silencers - even posted photo essays of the build process. (Check out the SilencerTalk forum for lots of people doing this) It is really easy to stay within the law in doing this. Also, keep in mind that many people making these videos on youtube live in countries where the gun is almost impossible to get, but silencers can be bought at the hardware store as easily as a post hole digger.

Here's a pic of my latest Form 1 silencer project. 300BLK AR

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/300%20Fireball%20project/HPIM0451.jpg